The Wardenship of Youghal, in the Diocese of Cloyne, was founded by Thomas, Eighth Earl of Desmond, the charter being dated 27 Dec., 1464, and was confirmed by the Holy See. It was endowed with a large number of rectories and vicarages in the Diocese of Cloyne, and also had four vicarages in Ardfert. By the terms of the foundation, the wardenship consisted of a warden, eight fellows, and eight singing-men (vicars choral), and the endowment was about £600 per annum. Three years later the noble founder was hanged by the Viceroy of Ireland (15 Feb. 1468), and a stormy period ensued on account of the Wars of the Roses, in which the Earls of Desmond were involved. The ninth earl was murdered by his own servants on 7 Dec., 1487. Two years later the Bishop of Cloyne resigned; and his successor, Blessed Thady MacCarthy ( beatified in 1895), died in exile as a confessor at Ivrea (24 Oct., 1492). The last Catholic warden was Thomas Allen (1533), after whom came the schismatic Roger Skiddy, who had various preferments under Edward VI, and was appointed Dean of Limerick and Bishop of Cork by Queen Elizabeth in 1562. He is described as "Warden of Youghal" in 1567. Sixty years later all the endowments were acquired by the notorious Earl of Cork, and in 1639 the rectory was united to the wardenship. A Catholic succession of wardens was maintained as late as 1709, when Father Richard Harnet held the position, which was then merely titular. The warden's house is now the picturesque residence of Sir Henry A. Blake, and is more generally known as "Sir Walter Raleigh's House".
More Volume: Y 20
Click/Touch the sub-volume below to view encyclopedia articles within the sub-volume.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Thursday, October 19, 2017
- It was the Clintons! Clinton family took millions in bribes from ...
- Being Christian now more dangerous than ever as persecution reaches ...
- Secretary denies Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI is close to passing
- Sts. Isaac Jogues and Rene Goupil: Saint of the Day for Thursday, ...
- Deacon Keith invites you... HD Video
- Wealthy donors seek to destroy your religious freedom
- Daily Reading for Friday, October 20th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, October 19th, 2017 HD
- Museum of the Bible to open in Washington D.C., here's what you want to know HD
- Virgin Mary appears to Hindu schoolchildren in India, miracles reported HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way