A tribe of Cahita stock, formerly dwelling near the Rio Yaqui, and now dispersed throughout Sonora in Mexico. It is the only Indian tribe that has been in constant contact with the white race and has not been entirely subdued. They are first mentioned by Guzmán in his description of the expedition in 1531. In 1610 they made a treaty with the Spaniards and Catholic missions were at once started among them. They were then expert agriculturists, and manufactured cotton goods. They attacked the Spaniards in 1740, owing to the settlers interfering with their missionaries, and since then have frequently rebelled, the latest rising being in 1901. In 1907 the Mexican Government made an attempt to weaken the power of the hostile element by deporting several thousand Yaqui to Yucatán and Tehuantepec. The tribe now numbers about 23,000.
The native dwellings, some of which are still used, were generally constructed of adobe and reeds, with flat roof of grass and clay. Many of the Yaqui now labour in the Sonora mines; others manufacture palm leaf hats and mats and reed baskets. There are no secret societies and little organization in the tribe. Formerly they were accustomed to exchange wives, but now most of the Yaqui have been converted to Catholicism.
More Volume: Y 20
Click/Touch the sub-volume below to view encyclopedia articles within the sub-volume.
by Catholic Online
- What did Pope Francis tell U.S. President Donald Trump after the ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 HD Video
- Secret Service eyes Madonna after star threatens to blow up White ...
- St. Ildephonsus: Saint of the Day for Monday, January 23, 2017
- Divine intervention? More sexual education? U.S. abortion rates ...
- Daily Readings for Monday, January 23, 2017
- President Donald Trump breaks record for most prayers in inaugural ...
- We Help Writers Become Authors. Get Your Free Christian Publishing Guide
- Daily Reading for Monday, January 23rd, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, January 22nd, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, January 21st, 2017 HD
- Desperate, hopeless mother-to-be receives miracle after praying novena to St. Joseph & St. Gerard HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.