St. Philip Neri Comments

If one had to choose one saint who showed the humorous side of holiness that would Philip Neri. Born in 1515 in Florence, he showed the impulsiveness and spontaneity of his character from the time he was a boy. In fact one incident almost cost him his life. Seeing a donkey loaded with fruit for market, the little boy had barely formed the thought of jumping on the donkey's back before he had done it. The donkey, surprised, lost his footing, ... Continue Reading

1. Chavez

A strong saint. I am proud to always be a member of his named church and school in Albuquerque, New Mexico aka Old Town. Super article.

2. Sue O'Dougherty

I was looking for strength to continue looking for (really even focus enough to look for...) paid employment. So Saint Phillip Neri may help me to use my time well! Would he find humor in this? Is this a joke? The b.a. I got seems useless these 30 years later and the b.a. (bank account) is telling me that a negative number is a real number. I better google this real number thing... see, a life time learner!
    Ah! Be cheerful -- it is stronger;it is of God. Let's fake it till we make it ...to heaven.

3. Eumoh

What a great inspiration reading about Phillip Neri for the first time. Humility is the 'Key Word'. I pray Saint Phillip will pray for us and may Christ have mercy on us to be able to be humble in our daily endeavors.

4. Eric

Like Mariana, I too share my birthday on this fascinating saint's feast day. St. Philip Neri has taught me to consider the virtue of humility as something to be sought through creative means. Also, like Mariana, he encourages doing things differently and then studying the reactions and outcome and then praying about this. This seems to be almost a scientific approach to spirituality by testing theories and allowing God to then guide us by the results. God shows us through St. Philip Neri that even humor has a place in His infinite store of treasures. God bless you.

5. pam

this is very inspiring the way people accepted a persons faith in the previous generations as so much to say that are the words of the bible being over looked in order to predict the end of the world as we know it or rather as the generations before us knew it imagine if Phillip Neri lived today and acted the way he did in his life time truly the court department of community services doctors lawyers family friends that we all see in church would have him locked up in a mental hospital. I believe in god and the catholic faith and thank god for the bible and saints the world killed Jesus and have also put a stumbling block in front of so many people that would have done so much good in this world and allow so many wicked people free access to destroy so many lives.

6. Catherine

What a truly wonderful article! You hear of so many who did physical mortification with hair shirts etc, and at last there is a saint who did not do it and yet he was still able to serve God completely in humility. His sense of humour was also so very refreshing. I have a new-found love and respect for this saint of whom i knew very little about.

7. Rehana Mwalimu

One of the most famous members of the Oratorian order, Cardinal Newman, wrote[4] of Neri nearly three hundred years after his death, "he contemplated as the idea of his mission, not the propagation of the faith, nor the exposition of doctrine, nor the catechetical schools; whatever was exact and systematic pleased him not; he put from him monastic rule and authoritative speech, as David refused the armor of his king.... He came to the Eternal City and he sat himself down there, and his home and his family gradually grew up around him, by the spontaneous accession of materials from without. He did not so much seek his own as draw them to him. He sat in his small room, and they in their gay, worldly dresses, the rich and the wellborn, as well as the simple and the illiterate, crowded into it. In the mid-heats of summer, in the frosts of winter still was he in that low and narrow cell at San Girolamo, reading the hearts of those who came to him, and curing their souls' maladies by the very touch of his hand.... And they who came remained gazing and listening till, at length, first one and then another threw off their bravery, and took his poor cassock and girdle instead; or, if they kept it, it was to put haircloth under it, or to take on them a rule of life, while to the world they looked as before."

May the Lord be praised forever for sending us such an amazing, Super Saint!

8. christie

This is the first time I've read about St. Philip Neri, and I'am aged 65. I've begun to see how much there is to the beauty and mystery of God and His people. Reading the internet about our heroic saints has helped me in my faith journey. To find out how this brilliant, beloved saint defended his detractors makes me think of myself. I've to be more considerate and thoughtful in my speech, before judging others, whom I perceive as "not liking" me or "talking behind my back".
    It is interesting to observe St. Philip's humour. I think I'm OK here, because, I love humour which makes life more lively, cheerful and fun.
    I'm impressed with St. Philip's holiness. I wish him to pray for us to be holy as this is what God wants from us.

9. mariana

I just read the life of St. Phillip Neri, his feast day is my birthday and i find that I am similar to this Saint; i like humor, i believe our God is a very humorous God and so I find humor in life's situations. I plan to continue along this path, and also to emulate some of the other areas such as doing things a little different and seeing how it makes me feel, but all in accordance with God's will, and for the upliftment of God's people and myself. Great article. God bless.

10. philip devassy

I was in search of the life story of my Patron Saint PHILIP NERI. I was delighted to find the information.Kindly add some photograph of his. Thank you verymuch.

11. ryan

Saint Phillip Neri has inspired me to always remain humble and be close to God.
    This website encourages my family and me to read about the lives of all the saints and try to lead a life like them.

12. ryan

i am proud that i added his name to my confirmation name.
    my confirmation name is .......RYAN PHILLIP

13. george

this is much better than wikipedia. all wikipedia says is stuff about the oratary, i mean i know its a big thing but really, thats all they talk about. its so annoying

14. george

Im doing a project on him in school

15. Brent

I am writing an essay on this Saint for school and found this to b very helpful to me. However, the only thing i hate about this page is there is no info on when this was posted. I have to cite all the websites i have used, and that includes the name and the date it was published.

16. mike

since my middle name is Philip I read all I could about Philip Neri. Some information is slightly different than this very nice article. St. Philip Neri made me look for the humorous side to God - and I have written 4 chapters of a possible book about the humor of God in the Bible. Thank you St. Philip Neri !

17. Robin

this is very helpful. this is the name i will be using for my confirmation this year. i just have to ask i cant find where it says why he is a saint. if anyone could tell me that would be great.

18. JoJo

Informative article on a wonderful saint.

19. Chris

Thank you, a very helpful and rewarding and 'learning' insight into an extraordinary and kindly saint -

20. Mercy Shaji Thomas

Very interesting. Iam inspired by his prayer life and good deeds.