St. Philip Neri Comments

If one had to choose one saint who showed the humorous side of holiness that would Philip Neri. Born in 1515 in Florence, he showed the impulsiveness and spontaneity of his character from the time he was a boy. In fact one incident almost cost him his life. Seeing a donkey loaded with fruit for market, the little boy had barely formed the thought of jumping on the donkey's back before he had done it. The donkey, surprised, lost his footing, ... Continue Reading

1. N PATRICK N.
    5 months ago

Humility is a cardinal virtue required to make heaven as the scripture said,Blessed are the humble for they shall be called sons of God.O,St.Neri,by your intercessions,may I exhibit high sense of love and humility AMEN.

2. micksteer86
    9 months ago

thank you!Gosh, someone who understands.

3. Rosemarie

Dear St.Philip Neri
    My husband visited Chiese Nuova today and he started to tell me about you. I looked you up on Google and I was very much inspired by your life. Please teach me humility and how to have a merry heart. Let your Spirit enter into mine to change me so that I may be an inspiration to others and glorify God in me. May this prayer be answered as you intercede for me for I am deficient in so many areas in my life. Amen.

4. Robin Springer

Reading about this saint has brought me to a bit of tears, and I'm not sure why! Blessings to St. Neri & maybe he's trying to tell me something in my life :) Thank you-

5. Claudia

Happy Feast day St. Philip Neri. Please pray for my son Demetrius who fell off from the bed yesterday and landed on his head be perfectly healthy and do not have any serious injury on his head. Please pray for Demetrius that there isn't any internal bleeding, blood clot or fractured skull in his head from the fall. Humbly need your prayers as my husband and I are really worried. amen.

6. Raj Ambrose

Dear Saint,

Teach me humility and help me to be humble. Enable me to do everything in humility and obedience. Enlighten me to the moving of the Spirit that I may be able to learn how to pray and find more joy and happiness in spending long hours in praying. Create in me a humorous heart as you had and encourage me to listen to the voice of God in everything around me. Endow me with the graces needed to live a faithful life worthy of gaining eternal life and to participate in the glory of God. Empower me to give up the vanities of the world especially of flesh and to focus fully on the Love of God so that I would Love the author of Love and Life through our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

7. mike

he was 35 and a lay person leading sunday afternoon picnics of 5,000 persons and giving them all food out of a single basket. Priests took him away, and ordered him to be a priest under pain of excommunication. then, when a priest, ordered Phillip to be confined to the buildings of the Vatican. His heart was at least twice as big as ordinary heart, his ribs expanded and bulged out to make room for it. He'd give the cardinals penance for confession to sweep the steps of the church in their cardinals robes. great saint, great follower of Jesus.

8. general unknown anonymous radical ****

26th may 2013:st philip neri CO pray for us!

9. Liam Keyes

Where can I get some prayer cards of St. Philip Neri.

10. Pat DeVito

I have been told that I should say the Novena to St. Philip Neri. I can't find the Novena.

Can you PLEASE send me the novena?

PLEASE

Pat

11. Christopher Neri

This was very helpful, and he is probally my favorite Saint since I am related to him.
    I reccommend using this sight for research for it was very reliable

12. Diane

Disappointed, that the movie I purchased on DVD, did not accurately portray the real Philip Nerri. In the movie he was very poorly dressed and took care of the street children. Those who make movies of saints should study them well and portray them accurately. Other than that, he was such a wonderful example of a Christian.

13. Marianne Johnpillai

I bought a DVD on the life of St Philip Neri and it was so different to what is written in this article. It was an Italian movie, dubbed in English. He was also shown to have died not after a long illness.. but just climbing into his bed and then the next thing, he dies peacefully. Rather confusing when there is such a lot of differences in his actual life and what the movie showed.

14. fiona rodrigo

i 'm from sri lanka we do have a CHURCH IN HIS NAME AND I PERSONALLY DIDN'T KNOW OF HIS GREATNESS.WILL BUILD UP FAITH IN HIM AND LET HIM INSPIRE US .

15. Mona

Dear Saint Philip Neri please pray for Jacob that he finds the right path and for his parents that they find the strenght and wisdom to guide him. Thank you.

16. RJ

St Philip Neri reminds us that life can have it's humorous side and praise God that He does have one!

17. mlc

Thank you for the wonderful article on St. Philip Neri. He has only recently come to my attention ( I am sad to say). Wish I had known him all of my long years. I love his way of approaching people with humor and wisdom. Actually, I know a priest who was born on May 26TH and his parents named him Philip. Into his ninties he never lost his youthful exuberance and good humor and people flocked to his confessions. He was a very saintly humble man. And another priest who is thirty six years old and St. Philip Neri is his favorite saint. They are very much alike. Faith is a beautiful thing and it gives me joy to know that someday we will meet St. Neri and all of the good saints in Heaven.
    St. Neri, please pray for my humility and love!

18. philip neary

i was named after this saint and on reading this article, im proud of it. it sounds like he was great person

19. Brandon

Chose this AWESOME person to be my confirmation Saint! I believe that what he did and what he stood for was amazing!!! Humour is a gift from God, something we often do forget!

20. Agatha

It is indeed surprising to learn of his humility and humor.
    By reading the life of St.Philip Neri I feel called to a life of humility.