St. John Neumann Comments

This American saint was born in Bohemia in 1811. He was looking forward to being ordained in 1835 when the bishop decided there would be no more ordinations. It is difficult for us to imagine now, but Bohemia was overstocked with priests. John wrote to bishops all over Europe but the story was the same everywhere no one wanted any more priests. John was sure he was called to be a priest but all the doors to follow that vocation seemed to close ... Continue Reading

1. Susan

St. John Neumann is a very dear and special Saint for me. His life story is so wonderful and full of self sacrifice. He was always concerned with the holy will and work of God and serving God's people. I knew nothing of Saint John Neumann until a 3rd class relic of Bishop St. John Neumann turned up in my home 20 years ago. The relic contains a tiny piece of square cloth enclosed in a casing. Above the enclosed cloth is the name, Bishop John Neumann and a picture engravment of St. John Neumann, with an egravement of the Church of Philadelphia in the background. I have no idea where the relic came from but I am lovingly and reverently caring for it. The only explanation I could think of for how the relic came to be in my home is that one of my children's Religious education teachers might have given out the 3rd class relics to some of the children before their Confirmation as a gift. But I had not been told that was the case and I feel that if an adult wanted to give a young person a relic they would inform the parents. Regardless of how I came to acquire the relic, I feel a close connection with this Good Saint and especially on his Feast day, January 5th I pray for his intercession. I would love to visit his shrine some day. St. John Neumann, Pray for us. St. John Neumann, we love you. Sincerely, Susan, SFO

2. Eduardo Villarreal

I believe we need more John Newmans, our Catholic eduaction system requires a big shake and I hope and pray God sends us more saints as St. Jhon Newman

3. christie

St. John Neumann, your feastday follows that of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. Like her you established Catholic Schools in the United States. It is impossible to imagine that you were rejected from the priesthood in Bohemia. Yet that rejection led you to much greater heights, as God had planned a place for you in the US. Dear St. John Neumann pray for the preservation of Catholic schools in my motherland. Protect it from all dangers. The most recent one that I know of is the appointment of a Muslim head of School. This outrageous plan was thawarted by public outcry and we managed to get a devout Catholic to head the Convent school. We pray for your constant protection of Catholic schools all over the country. Amen

4. The One Across The Way

I am one of the newest members of the Parish at the St. John Neumann Catholic Church in N
    N. Las Vegas, Nevada. It is a Most Vibrant and Inspirational Church, thanks to it's Pastor, a Father Bede Wevita, his awesome staff of workers and volunteers, and I am sure the heavenly guidance of St. John Neumann himself. God Bless You and Yours & Enjoy the remainder of this wonderful Christmas Season.

5. w

very helpful, saint john rocks!!!!!

6. Bioslash98

Best. Saint. Site. EVER!!!!!!! Got a ton of info from this site. THANK YOU!

7. John McNeill

My Mother had a relic of St. John Neumann and told us generation-passed stories on him to include that we are also related (saw Elizabeth's comment). Can anyone advise me on how to get St. John's immediate geneology? Thanks.

8. Twix4kix

does anybody know what his symbol is? need it for project!!!

-desperate 8th grader.

9. frank

i love alyssa manley

10. stewnod

this artical made my friday night.

11. Elizabeth

I'm very pleased to read such a great article on my 2nd Cousin (5 times removed)
    And to read everyone's kind comments made my day! :)

12. omeed

omeed needs to be nice

13. christine

I'm looking for a prayer that I kept in my wallet for many years and lost about a year ago. It was written by St. John Neumman and had a part in it that went,"I am a link in a chain, I have a purpose. I may not know it in this life but will be told it in the next...: I would love to have this prayer in it's entirety. If anyone knows it and can send it I would appreciate it immensely. They are words that I have lived by for many years. Thank you.

14. meg

how would u cite this article???

15. bridget :)

dis is awesome!!! who ever made dis website shood giv themselves a pat on da bak!!!!!!!!!! :-)

16. kiki

Who ever made this site,thank you. This was very helpful and provided all the info. I needed to do a report. THANKS SO SO SO MUCH.

17. Maureen Wilkins

The story of St. John N. on this site helped me add information to the story I presented to the children. What an example of joyful faith and service! The kids are really helped by bringing these Saints lives to them in an engaging way.

18. Chris

Thanks for the insight. We could sure use another John Neumann now. The grade school Catholic education I received in the 60's was far superior to public schools...what a blessing....which I didn't figure out until I went to a public high school.

19. Steve

What a great story, man and saint. Amazing to think of how many Americans have gone through the Catholic schools system and how many schools now we have lost or risk of losing.

20. Thomas John Joseph

As a cradle Catholic, the names of the Saints are heard very early in life, I appreciate your site for bringing depth and meaning to each so I can better understand the richness of my faith.