St. Cyril of Alexandria Comments

St. Cyril of Alexandria, Bishop and Doctor of the Church (June 27) Cyril was born at Alexandria, Egypt. He was nephew of the patriarch of that city, Theophilus. Cyril received a classical and theological education at Alexandria and was ordained by his uncle. He accompanied Theophilus to Constantinople in 403 and was present at the Synod of the Oak that deposed John Chrysostom, whom he believed guilty of the charges against him. He succeeded his ... Continue Reading

1. Jon Merriott

Well reading the coments on this and having just finished reading some other sources on the history of 'Saint' Cyril I have decided that thats it. I've struggled with my beliefs for many years now and although I had no choice in being born into the Catholic religion I do have a choice in leaving it. And if this man is still a saint then thats the last straw for me. I know my mothers going to be upset but seriously, this guy was about as close to Hitler as you can get and about as far from Jesus, so thats it. I no longer consider myself one of you. If a man who rounded up, deported and massacred Jews is a Saint then I really think you should question your doctorine and faith.

2. rod salazar

wasn't cyril the violent and murdering bishop who was into ethnic cleansing and all? he killed the pagans, the jews and the philosopher hypatia. cyril hated mary because he hated women in general. the man was crazy, so my professor said.

3. Dr Anis Shaker

Good essay, I want to let you know that Cyril was not born at Alexandria, Egypt as you said. Cyril was born in the small town of Theodosios, Egypt, near modern day El-Mahalla El-Kubra, which is my home town. Thanks.

4. ML

It would be great if all these things would be still seen these miracles

5. Matthew W. I. Dunn

Dear St. Cyril: Be nice.

6. J Christian

Saint Cyril of Alexandria, it would be nice today, 2008 AD, if one person of your skills could show us all the early heresies in their survivals: fascism as pagan militarism, Nazism as pagan hero body worship, communism as material worship, flag worship as foolish; Saint Cyril pray for us all in our television trances and nonsensical heeding of lame, false religious authorities and corrupt politicians, our worship and elevations of sports figures and disregard of truth teachers, Amen.