St. Josephine Bakhita Comments

St. Josephine Bakhita was born in Sudan in 1869. This African flower, who knew the anguish of kidnapping and slavery, bloomed marvelously in Italy, in response to God's grace, with the Daughters of Charity, where everyone still calls her "Mother Moretta" (our Black Mother"). Bakhita was not the name she received from her parents at birth. The fright and the terrible experience she went through made her forget the name her parents gave her. ... Continue Reading

1. Robert Flora

God has bless all who read this spiritual inspiration of Mother Bahkita and it raised my hopes and prayers of becoming a saint

2. Tabitha

very touching st Bakhita pray for my unborn child .

3. Larry

I'm a 66 year old (male) who has converted to Catholicism and will be receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation tomorrow (Pentecost Sunday). We were required to choose a personal saint. I have chose St. Josephine Bakhita (yes, men are permitted to choose female saints and vice versa). I chose St. Josephine because each of us were, through the Church, freed from (albeit different forms of) slavery.

- Larry

4. Chinwe

I got know about St. Bahkita about 3 yrs ago. my sister returned from Togo ang gave me a little icon of her. I love her story. God loves all his children and sometimes His love guides us through rough paths. this saint is however not popularly known in Nigeria. we went for baptism recently and the priests refused to baptise my God -child with her name because they had never heard of her! i felt it was poor that an African saint is not known on her home continent. all the same it doesnt stop me admiring her courage especially in forgiving her tormentors. Dear Saint Bahkita, please pray for my friends Ngozi and Rosemary who are seriously ill for God's mercy and speedy recovery.

5. margaret

St. Bakhita teaches us to overcome all our temptations us Christians in order to enter The kingdom of heaven. We also learn that to be successful in our life we need to be aware that a good Christian is always happy during sorrowful situation ready to forgive and forget, have hope, perseverance , merciful and open to our GOD. Take our burden to Him in prayers .St. Bakhita the years you ware with us here on earth , you really opened our hearts through your life experience . St. Bakhita you deed all that and at the end you were sick for along time while serving God . you were not annoyed, you did not complain instead you accepted all with an everlasting smile. It is my request to you to pray for us especially for those who do not know who their “master “ GOD is and what he does in their life. St. Bakhita Rest in peace.

6. Rebecca

This was a very helpful article, very solid information. Just proof read/edit, there are multiple spelling errors and missing punctuation.

7. savannah

did joesphine get married and have kids

8. Rocio Baskette

Bakita she was the perfect examplo how the human being must respond to God"s Love.

All time she felt God's love since she was a litthe girl. I was very unhappy today but for one reason I jump here. I've peace right now because Bakita was a peace maker.

9. Jackie Stubbs

I found the movie on EWTN very compelling. However, after reading her biography on this site, I learn that the movie does not seem to follow her life exactly. I am especially wondering about the priest who allowed her to remain in the church, the smallpox epidemic, the name of her "owner", Marin. What does seem to model her life is her love for God and all people including her kidnappers. We can learn a great deal from St. Bakhita.

10. Marie Byrne

I came upon this beautiful story featured on ewtn simply by accident. This story moved me to tears many times as I watched it. I have never been so moved as I was with this wonderful saint. She was so good so humble, yet so approachable, one can so instantly relate to her and be so smitten. Truly one of the best videos I was so fortunate to experience.

11. Antoinette McGowan

The story of St. Bakhita has been shown on EWTN for the last 2 weeks. There were many parts of the movie that brought me to tears. I'm not sure why. Her intense suffering I cannot imagine and her heartfelt mercy on those who had no mercy to her, I guess overwhelms me, hence the tears. I'm sorry you missed these episodes but I have researched and you can buy the movie or wait for it to be shown again. Keep checking back to EWTN and trust God that you will see it if He wills. Love, Antoinette

12. Mr. Augustine Picotti

on the evening of nov 3rd, I missed the begining of the movie and it was to be continued. The movie was one of the best that I have ever seen in decades. I have been trying to find out if and when it would be shown on EWTN. The catholic station. Would it be possible that it can be purchased on a dvd and is there a book out with her life???? Also are metals and/or statues available????? Would appreciate any info forwarded to me THANK YOU

13. JJ Florence

I love the story and movies about saints most specially st. Faustina, Padre Pio and St. Bhakita I like love all of them

14. ADALIYA LATIFA

i never heard of Mother Bakhita till this day,i was looking for a name to be baptist with,when i when in search for names of catholic stains,i saw the Name ST Bakhita i read the story of her and flit in love with her that i decided to be named Josephine Bakhita

15. Uzoamaka

I have always long 2 know d story life of my patron saint and now i am so fulfilled havin gone thru her history.Oh! Saint josephine i ask dat u continue 2 intercede 4 sudan 4 a lastin peace n order in d country also continue 2 intercede 4 me dat i may luv God above all things also let d peace of God reign in all African countries.And 4 my country Nigeria u who 1ce had experience wit islam bt dcided 2 b a christain pray dat d bokoharam bombings wil b brt 2 an end soonest. THANK U. St Josephine pray 4 us.

16. Salvio P. Batica

During mass today, I heard in the sermon of the officiating priest, Fr. Glen Relucio, during the 7 a.m. mass at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception and National Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage in Antipolo City, Philippines, about the inspiring story of St. Josephine Bakhita. With my interest aroused, I resolved right then to search the story of her life in the internet. Indeed, acting in His mysterious ways, God can change a horrible life into a meaningful and blessed one. "May the extraordinary life of St. Josephine Bakhita serve as a beacon of hope for those who are presently experiencing hopelessness in their lives!"

17. Archangelo Adup Anyuat

May St. Josephine Bakhitta interceed for Sudanese both the Southerners and Northerners to attain stable peace and have courage to solve the pending issues of Abyiei and oil

May U also interceed for the young people in the Sudan and South Sudan to keep education at the top of their hearts.

Thanks and may U also interceed for me to be peace in mind and heart and be cheerful always as she was even to the torturers

18. Maria-Teresa Vitela

Please St. Josephine Bakhita, your feast is February 8 and last year a very sweet friend of mine asked for you to remember her as she receives her treatments. Please I too want to request that you remember her and give Betty courage and comfort. Betty is an inspirational person that is a joy to know. I have missed her company during her illness, but I think about her everyday in my prayers when I pray for the sick.

19. Nehsee

I had never heard of St. Bakhita before today. I do a weekly Sunday Bulletin for my church in which I always include the life story of a Saint. In my search today, I came across St. Bakhita's story which I find very inspiring. I am moved to share it with others in our local community. There are very few African Saints. Thus this story not only brings joy to us Africans, but is also a good lesson in what it means to know, believe in God and not lose hope in times of adversity.

20. Brynn

Best saint I have read about!!!!!