St. Matthias Comments

How does one qualify to be an apostle? The first act of the apostles after the Ascension of Jesus was to find a replacement for Judas. With all the questions, doubts, and dangers facing them, they chose to focus their attention on finding a twelfth apostle. Why was this important? Twelve was a very important number to the Chosen People: twelve was the number of the twelve tribes of Israel. If the new Israel was to come from the disciples of ... Continue Reading

1. Ed

If anyone knows of any prayer to St. Matthias please let me know.

2. Joseph Mathew

St. Mathias, dear apostle and saint, please pray for us.

3. Mathias

Am very happy indeed to learn more about Matthias as an apostle and a saint. To me its fantastic because this day is my birthday as well so you can imagine my joy.

4. Raj Ambrose

Dear Saint,

Kindly pray for all the Catholics to become worthy of serving the Lord as you have done. Strengthen the Pope to lead the Church in the right direction so that we take the narrow path which leads to life. Fill the hearts and minds of all the clergy and nuns with the wisdom of the Holy Spirit that they preach the Gospel boldly and bravely and bear witness to Christ as you have done. Help me to overcome my sinful nature and enlighten me to become aware of the Will of God so that I too become worthy of serving the Lord. Amen.

5. Jamesok

St. Matthias i know that you were chosen not only to replace Judas but God had that you serve him through the choice of the holly spirit. May the human self in us be replace by holistic choice for the service of God.

6. David

Although an Anglican Lay Minister, I do find this site an excellent resource for the occasions when I am called upon to deliver the homily for the day, in this case for May 14 and Saint Matthias. Thank you very much for being here for all of us who acknowledge and worship one Saviour, one Lord, one Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

7. Charles

I'm in trouble with work. Saint Matthias, please pray for me.

8. Unknown

I like saints,they might just be a person but thier life was cool.

9. christie

St. Matthias, Apostle and Martyr, pray for us. It is simply interesting to note that you were chosen by Christ to replace Judas. The method of choice was by casting lots, but before that you had to fulfill several preconditions: that of having associated with Jesus throughout His public life, witnessing his death, resurrection and ascension. Above all you listened to and obeyed His teachings, heard His parables, and were able to testify to His miracles. St. Matthias, lucky one, or chosen one or both, pray for Sharon, that she may succeed in securing the new job that she is interviewing for. Also, grant quick healing for her son from all the torment of fragile X. Dear Saint Matthias, pray for my beloved children to be faithful to their baptismal vows. I leave it to you with all my heart, believing that all I ask for will be granted on your feast day.
    I might add that your church in Budapest East is most charming, small and ornate. I love you. Amen.

10. benson

this is my comformation saint name

11. Giuseppe

Dear St.Matthias, as a child I attended a school named after you. I have been going through a difficult ordeal with work lately. The only resolve for this problem is that I would be placed in a new position. Like you, bless me as a newcomer in this position and help me be chosen as you were.

12. Luyinda mathias

Thanx 4 d imformation about my saint, it has enriched my essay about him.

13. Kathy Jordan

I just visited St. Matthias Church in Trier. They have the relics of St. Matthias. i would like to know more of what our tradition says about St. Matthias. Where did he preach, how did he die (the statues show him holding an enormous axe) and how did his remains end up in Trier?

14. Janine

I love www.catholic.org and all of the great Catholic history articles. Thank you for being an excellent Catholic history source.

15. Arlene G.

What I read in the afterthought really hit home, glad I learned about this Saint today!

16. Patrick K

I would have liked to learn more about why Saint Matthias is the patron saint of alcoholism and recovering alcoholics. No mention anywhere here about that.

17. Mathew Noronha

Reflecting & through reading on the Life, Passion, Suffering, Death (because of our sins) of our Lord Jesus Christ & Resurrection; as well as looking into the lives of His Apostles & Saints - strengthens us in our spirituality.

18. Mathias osuji

Thanx for the infomation on St Matthias. I chose the name for my baptism. The name has followed me as i am usually voted as a replacement officer in almost all the organization i belong to. What a wonderful thing and i always do well.

19. matty mathias

thanks for this i wish i could have more info tho thatd be great

20. mabvuto-matthias

This is my saint as well because I was also born on the 14 th of May and I was given Matthias as my christian name as well. So its like most of the times I wanted to find out more about saint Matthias.
    Its so inspiring and thanks for the info and I ask any one who knows more about saint Matthias to sent me more news