St. Gertrude the Great Comments

St. Gertrude the Great is invoked for souls in purgatory and for living sinners. Our Lord told St. Gertrude that the following prayer would release 1000 souls from purgatory each time it is said. The prayer was extended to include living sinners as well. "Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for ... Continue Reading

1. Jung

My high school friend suicided, I prayed to God many times but always asked myself how many times I would have to pray for him or how would I know that my prayers have helped him.

6 months had passed after his death I was praying for him one morning at 3:00am, I forgot how his voice sounded because it was that long but he thanked me by my name very clearly. I didnt physicaly hear him through my ears but it was so clear and loud in my mind I could not believe it, I also felt a cool draft.

I did not know of Saint Gertrudes payer but I said many Our Fathers and Hail Marys for my friend. I know I have helped him through prayer so i now say St Gertrudes Prayer often for the other Souls.

2. 112

My grandfather passed away today will you all pray for him?

3. Mary

What is the actual prayer ... Been looking for it

4. Bernadette

I use my rosary beads to say this pray in order to release thousands of souls from purgatory.

5. Elizabeth

To those concerned about prayers for the mentally ill and physically disabled, St. Dymphna is known as the patron saint of the mentally or emotionally ill. Her own father became mentally ill and killed her when she was 15 yrs old.

St. Gertrude's prayer for the holy souls in purgatory is a blessing. I try to pray this prayer daily as I do believe it does release souls from purgatory.

6. Jane

In the beginning, I did not believe that this prayer would release 1,000 souls in purgatory and thought it was a myth. However, (some years back) my daughter learned of this prayer in religious education class and wanted to say it all the time. We had only one printed copy and she wanted to say this prayer in the car while I was driving. I told her I would make one copy at work and we would have an extra copy to use in the car.
    When I was at work, I turned on the copy machine, I selected ONE copy. The copy machine would not shut off. I panicked, pushed every button on the machine to stop it, but could not turn it off. I finally unplugged the machine. By that time, I had about 100 copies of the prayer. Then I tested the xerox machine, plugged it up again, inserted a different sheet of a budget into the machine, and selected ONE copy. The machine made only one copy. I used this machine for over 5 years and never had a problem with it making infinite copies.
    I believe this prayer does release 1,000 souls from purgatory.

7. Elizar

Someone gave this prayer to my wife and she gave it to me. I order 1,500 cards at a time from Vista Print. I mail them to parishes around the state and around the country. I get many letters thanking me for this.

8. Sallie Roberts

To the person who asked about finding a priest who can verify it is 1,000 souls a day released --OK -try envisioning this -if you offer it through Mary and it is magnified, as we are told offering through her does, what if it is a million a day. Like we ask not what hour or day for Jesus to come again ask not for such specifics. God always rewards even more than He promises! And offer one for us even having the privilege of praying to God and the Holy Trinity all three! Imagine such a privilege we have!

I think it is real cause I have such a hard time doing it! I get no real satisfaction from it and always stop after about three of them. It is a very heavy prayer to lift for me so it must be really really powerful! The devil must hate us doing it because he surely influences me to avoid it!! I completely forget to do it all the time!!
    St. Gertrude has helped save many souls obviously with this prayer!
    So --thanks for the reminder to say it !

9. ruben arthur nicdao

i am a promoter of the divine mercy devotion and the st. gertrude prayer for souls in purgatory; a.filipino in manila; just discovered ur site now and was so happy to know that a lot of people are also saying this awesome prayer many times over like i do!.500 times daily on the rosary beads since last year, to this day a total of 100 million souls would have been released from purgatory! praise GOD! thank you st. gertrude!.

10. Brian

i just talked to my parish father about this prayer and he said that this prayer is more myth than fact and that it releases only as god sees fit not a specific number of 1000 souls....any clergy out there who can confirm that this prayer actually releases 1000 souls every time it is prayed?

11. norma

Thank you for intoducing St. Gertrude...I will say this prayer to help with my Fr. Tony who went back to Africa where they are killing Christians....Lets all pray for Islam to stop all this killing of Catholics...I belive if we all do this prayer every morning wheather we are in a car,train walking or what ever that God will help our brothers and sister who are in perrill...Lets pray for all those that lost their lives....Amen Jesus, Amen.

12. Ann

I pray this as often as I can so that the souls in Purgatory can be released into Heaven and help all of us on Earth. I have also heard having Mass said for 30 consecutive days for a person who has passed away or attening Mass for 30 consecutive days and for a person who has passed away and offering that up to God will release that person into Heaven. I attended Mass for a friend who died by suicide to help him into Heaven and when I was close to completing the 30 days had a vision of him at the beach being very young, happy, and free from the worries he suffered on Earth. I encourage others to follow the 30 Days of Mass too. Thank You for this website!! I will have to visit it more often.

13. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Can you please help me with any prayers for the mentally and physically disabled because my job is to look after children with mental and physical disabilities as a care giver and play therapist at our local school in the special needs section. Let us pray for them a lot because they seem to be forgotten and yet they are the most beautiful people to be with. May Our Good Lord bless you.

14. Margaret Mary Alacoque

I have said this prayer for a very long time not knowing why I am so attached to it. I say it five times every time I say it. Hoping I have helped release 5000 souls at a go. Thank you so much. God bless you in this world and the life after.

15. Rose Miranda

my Mother have always pray for the Souls in Purgatory,i have learned it from her. Then when i read about the the Prayer of St Gertrude in Pieta prayer book,i have started praying more. Last year i have realy concentrated in praying devoutly. I have a great devotion praying to the Souls in Purgatory. Ever since i have started from last year of June 2011, I have prayed total of over 44millions Souls. God had reward me thru dreams that i was taken to purgatory to see the Souls there. Also last year i was in a car accident with my family and our car was totalled, but my family were not hurt. I know the Souls had protected all my family. I have many personal testimony to share. I also offer a masses to them at least 3 to 4 times in a month. I have received so many spiritual gifts thru that.

16. L. Pearson

I thank the Lord for these precious Gifts that he gave to his Church through his precious Saints. They have so much to teach us above and beyond scripture alone.

17. maria

I am so happy that i came across this prayer of St Gertrude the Great for the holy souls in purgatory. I will say it as often as possible so that many holy souls are released from purgatory. Thankyou St. Gertrude

18. ifeanyi obi

I lost my brother through car crash 18 dec 2010.I will pray this prayer for him and others.thanks

19. Princess G ertrude A kpan Ibok

May GOD be praise always, each time I remeber saint Gertrude I thank GOD for christianity and catholic doctrine for with them the challenges of life are beared with total summission to the will of GOD.
    The challenges of life are yet the trials to perfection.
    No challenge is above GOD let us all look up to GOD for GOD has the best solution to every life challenge

20. Catherine

I use this prayer to say Thank You to God--for a wonderful thing he did for me--it's my way of showing acknowledgement & thanksgiving