St. Rose Philippine Duchesne Comments

St. Rose Philippine Duchesne, Virgin (Feast day - November 18) Born in Grenoble, France, in 1769, Rose joined the Society of the Sacred Heart. In 1818, when she was forty-nine years old, Rose was sent to the United States. She founded a boarding school for daughters of pioneers near St. Louis and opened the first free school west of the Missouri. At the age of seventy-one, she began a school for Indians, who soon came to call her "the woman ... Continue Reading

1. Teresa

The Sisters of the Sacred Heart who she founded still run schools and University colleges for women world-wide. I am an Alumna of Duchesne College named after her. It is a fantastic college for women, mostly Catholic women, who attend the University of Queensland. I recall the celebrations there when she was canonised.

2. Daniel Reed

Rose is the Patron Saint of Native Americans. The Tribe are the Pottawatomies.

3. richard lewis

thank you for this interesting information. also, thanks to evelyn for fleshing out the original report. i had never heard of saint rose phillipine duchesne, who is really part of the american catholic story.

4. Evelyn

St. Rose Philippine is her name and does not denote her nationality. She was French and came under her religious obedience to the United States. She is entombed in the covnent Chapel of the Academy of the Sacred Heart in St. Charles, MO just west of the Missouri River bridge between St. Louis County and St. Charles County. I encourage you to visit her shrine and ask for a tour of her simple rooms and artifacts there.

5. Rachel

Doing a report on her. What is she a patron saint of?

6. nicole

i found alot of information about st. rose WOW

7. Carol

I love St. Rose Philippine Duchesne because she is the woman who always praying and I will really appreciate her because of that.. even thou that she is not a Filipino..

8. Renee

I dont think she was a Philippino. She was born in France. But just because she was born in France doesnt mean that she isnt Philippino. So I could be wrong.

9. Jemima

I love this saint. i am trying to become just like her. imagine that? a second Saint Rose.... WOW i am her number one fan and i think she lived an amazing life!!

10. miranda

what day was she born

11. Kathy

Is she a phillipine?

12. carly

how did he become a saint?

13. maya

she is the patron saint of what?

14. ALEX

St. Rose also joined a convent at the age of 19 without her parents consent.