St. Nicholas Comments

St. Nicholas, called "of Bari", Bishop of Myra (Fourth Century) 6 Dec. Feast day. The great veneration with which this saint has been honored for many ages and the number of altars and churches which have been everywhere dedicated in his memory are testimonials to his holiness and of the glory which he enjoys with God. He is said to have been born at Patara in Lycia, a province of Asia Minor. Myra, the capital, not far from the sea, ... Continue Reading

1. Kate

Paul,
    I think that Santa Claus came from the Dutch name for St. Nicholas, Sinterklaas.

2. Stefania

Thank you, St Nicholas, for your help!

3. S.G.

HAPPY FEAST DAY ST. NICHOLAS!! WE LOVE AND HONOR YOU! PLEASE CONTINUE TO WATCH OVER MY FAMILY AND BLESS US W/HEALTH AND HAPPINESS. YOU KNOW WHAT MY HEART DESIRES MOST, PLEASE FULFILL MY DREAM AND ANSWER MY PRAYER. I THANK YOU AND LOVE YOU! AMEN!!

4. Ryosuke

Was December 6 St. Nicholas day? Many Japanese including me are thinking that December 25 Christmas is St. Nicholas day . Don't laugh at me! However, this newsletter wised me up. Thanks Catholic Online. God bless you!

5. pAUL CONWAY NIGHTINGALE

WHEN DID SAINT NICHOLAS BECOME SANTA CLAUS AND HOW DID THIS COME ABOUT BECAUSE THERE SEEMS TO BE MANY DIFFERENT STORIES GIVEN BY SO MANY DIFFERENT PEOPLE,

HAS FOR MY SELF I DO BELIEVE IN SANTA CLAUS ALSO COULD YOU TELL ME HOW HE WAS NAMED SANTA CLAUS.

THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME THE CHANCE TO ASK THE ABOVE QUESTIONS

6. christie

St Nicholas, from a very young age, I was told that Santa Claus was actually you, the bringer of gifts to children during Christmas. There is so much interesting literature on the Catholic Online, that I have to reread it at leisure. You are reknown in all of Western and Eastern Europe. Dear saint of children help and cure all children suffering from the terrible affliction of fragile X. Free them from pervasive developmental delays, speech delays and seizures. Dear Saint have pity on these vulnerable children, who suffer so much. As well as their parents. Give these children a cure, a permanent healing. With your intercession this is truly possible. Amen.

7. Dalasce

This is so impressive. I have a god-brother whose name is Nicholas who is 10. Apparently he always asks me when am I getting married. It really bothers him that i am not married. So I told him to start praying for me to get married. On All Saints day I came across St Nicholas biography and found that he assisted the three girls with their dowry to get married-and that he is a patron saint of brides. I was simply amazed. So now, I will pray to St Nicholas and obviously ask my god-brother to pray for me as well as it is his patron saint.Who knows? It may have been St Nicholas who wants to help me.

8. Barbara Cardenas

I just learned about this wonderful St. Nicholas from my cousins in mexico. I enjoyed this article and want to know more. My cousins told me about the miracles that St. Nicholas did for them. I am going to start praying to him.

9. nick

great website

10. em

this website is really good for my re homework

11. BILLY BOB JOE

THIS PLACE IS DA BOMB!!!

12. vanass

st.nicholas is very good and i am parying to nicholas

13. karina

he rocks

14. cool kid

it helped alot

15. Susan C Tikalsky

St. Nicholas intervene on my behalf perpetually. Amen.

16. anastasia

I love this site but someone needs to proof read the information posted for at the very least, proper spelling, grammar and sentence structure...

Just a thought.... Merry Christmas

17. Kayla

this place is the best for all your saints and angels needs! thank you Catholic Online!!

18. Ronald J. Winker

I can not remember a morning of December 6th as a child and not to find a stocking full of nuts, an orange, an apple and some candy. Maybe that is why I always considered St Nicklaus, Santa Claus my favorite saint. I was 32 years old when I married, but I told my wife if we have a son we shall name him after Santa Claus. One year later Nicklaus was born. Today he is a priest, but more importantly we still celebrate this day of the 6th of December with stockings full of treasures and none of my five children would want it any other way. Happy Saint Nicklaus Day!

19. richard lewis

excellent.

20. Lyndie

Absolutely love this article! Very good information which will definitely help me! Thank you Catholic Online!