St. Christopher Comments

Before the 1969 reform of the Roman calendar, Christopher was listed as a martyr who died under Decius. Nothing else is known about him. There are several legends about him including the one in which he was crossing a river when a child asked to be carried across. When Christopher put the child on his shoulders he found the child was unbelievably heavy. The child, according to the legend, was Christ carrying the weight of the whole world. This ... Continue Reading

1. Manny

Paul VI brought about many changes in the church which confused a lot of people and even made some Catholics lose their faith to a certain degree. A friend of mine was very devoted to St. Barbara (a saint venerated by Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox for centuries). When Paul VI suppressed St. Barbara's cultus in 1969,many of her devotees felt hurt,includng my friend.I still venerate St. Christopher even though he's not in the Catholic Church's current calendar anymore. St. Patrick's Chruch in Elizabeth,N.J. (where I grew up) there is a beautiful St. Christopher statue to the left of the entrance. How I miss lighting votive lights to hime there. I live in Florida now.

2. Christopher Bulatiko

I was named after this saint and i believe that him been removed from the universal calendar is the work of evil.
    The story of St. Christopher is one for even the devil worshippers, because St. Christopher was a follower of the devil, promising himself to only serve a god that has no fear of anything. But while coming across a crucifix during one of his journeys he noticed that the devil in him feared this symbol. From then he wondered what the symbol of this crucifix was, and why the devil feared it so much. He would later become converted by a hermit and served only the Lord, who knew no fear. Of course, his main mission became that of carrying travellers from one side of the river to the other, since he was more or less a giant, and therefore could carry people over his shoulders and above the water level, safely to the other side. He would one day carry the Child Jesus across, only to realise that he was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulder, in this Child who had given Himself up for the world. Great saint indeed, and one we ought to all invoke one our travels.

3. CHRISTOPHER PATRICK OREILLY

MY DAUGHTER IS DOING A PRESENTATION AND MY NAME IS CHRISTOPHER AND I FIND ST CHRISTOPHER VERY INTERESTING .GOD BLESS

4. marietta ndinda

i like st.christopher

5. christian

cool!

6. anonymous

just because a saint has been taken off the liturgical calendar doesnt mean that you cant pray to him. For example, St. Philomena is one of the most popular saints ever and her feast was August 11th - but its not officially recognised anymore on calendars. Still, she is much venerated anyway. This is also true for others like, St. Catherine of Alexandria, St. Ursula, Ss. Sergius and Bacchus etc....

7. stephen baldevia

tnx...... i love this site much...

8. john

after having been lost for so long I care not to recall the number of years, I am finding myself again. I found my St.Christopher medal, put it round my neck and have new hope that my travels will be "somewhat" less rocky. At 47 I am finally discovering that prayer is real. Wish me luck.

9. Jonathan

To respond to James and Nadia's question about which saint is the saint of good luck?
    Most sources that I have read say that Saint Peter is the saint that brings good luck, success and good fortune, and also Saint Patrick who brings luck and prosperity.

Alice Lilley's story was very moving to read and I loved her observation that Saint Christopher as well as protecting travellers and motorists, can also help us to carry our burdens in life. Alice, I never thought of that before! But that is such an inspiring thing to say about Saint Christopher and I will remember that the next time that I think of him. I own a sterling silver Saint Christopher medal and I like to wear it because I feel the saint near me when I do and it brings comfort and a feeling of safety, and not just when travelling either. Just to correct a few comments that people have made; Saint Christopher is still a Catholic saint and the church still APPROVES devotion and veneration to him. His name was struck from the Universal Calendar of Saints, but that does not in any way prevent local or private veneration of him. He is still a legitimate saint and he never lost that status.

He is a very popular saint as well, one of the most popular, as evidenced by the widely available medallions with his image on them sold in jewellery stores.

10. bob

this is cool

11. Ogundipe Olusola Johnson

My baby boy was born on the 13th feb., 2011 and plan to name him Christopher. May the goodness, favour, mercy & blessing of God be with child & parent forever. Amen

12. vine

i like this site

13. ken H

i am going out of the country tomorrow and would like to ask for the safty and well being for me and my family st. christopher pray for me.
    Amen

14. kenny

this is a great web site. it is a place for it is a place for people to learn about their religon.
    MY NAME IS KENNY AND I AM CHRISTIAN !

15. Lucy

thank you so much this website is amazing i needed to do a big project for r.e about st christopher and this has helped so much great thanks x lucy

16. cheryl

i am doing a presentation on saint christopher is there any help you could give me or anythink????

17. Tori

St. Christopher is in the book "Saints Behaving Badly by Thomas J. Craughwell" which tells his whole story about St. Christopher. Even the while legend about him! Its a very good book and i did my Saint report for confirmation on him.

18. Roger gan

St Christopher appeared in Melbourne
    on 16 april 2010 in St Paul cathedral.

He said he spent 4 years in London
    to help a child of illness . Later 14 years in India.
    He read Buddhism in India.

He was praying for a friend who died of Cancer
    in St Paul's cathedral & i told him to believe in Jesus christs
    who has taken 40 lashes from the Roman centurion.
    The lashes represents all illnesses.

He said he was given the Healing Power &
    he has not given to anyone.
    Now , he wish to give it to me.
    He held my Head with his 2 hands & prayed on me for more tha15 mins.
    I was frightened however, i give him sonme Aussie dollars to eat.
    I dont know who is christopher until i co- relate the
    activities later on .
    However, searching for more, Gideons was revealed to me.
    Judges chapter 6& 7 and also Arc Angel Raphael.
    I had an accident in a car crash in Malaysia Mountain in Pahang
    & was still alive because Holy Miraculous Mother Mary of Grace saved me.

God speed
    roger gan
    gideons

19. Robert Buren

I did notice that "Saint" Christopher is no longer considered a Saint. Is there a specific ritual associated with "deSainting"?
    This came up on a discussion of the date of Saint Nicholas day. Since Pope Gregory XIII drastically changed the Julian calendar, removing 10 days considered leap years but were not due to the adjustment of centuries but ignored by ancients thus adding cumulative days to the calendar which he [Pope Gregory] subsequently removed. But some remarked that Saint Nicholas day was December 6th but others said this was only of the Julian calendar and should be December 19th instead. We all agreed that since there is December 6th on both the 1582 calendar and that of Saint Nicholas, December 6th should be commemorated on faiths abiding by either calendar. We have no authority to do this but only an opinion of one discrete group. That not all people agree on a universal calendar, even those considered a salar year calendar, there is much confusion of dates. Therefore the 14th of Nisan and the subsequent first day of the week will occur on different days just as the 25th of Chislev and the replacement of Hanukkah will not always happen.

20. Rene'e Christine

Thank the Lord we have generations that share their stories of the past, We should trust that every story has some point of truth to it, even if it is so unbelievable, This graciously true when our ancestors leave us precious stories of our Dear Lord Jesus.