St. Januarius Comments

St. Januarius was born in Italy and was bishop of Benevento during the Emperor Diocletion persecution. Bishop Januarius went to visit two deacons and two laymen in prison. He was then also imprison along with his deacon and lector. They were thrown to the wild beasts, but when the animals did not attack them, they were beheaded. What is believed to be Januarius' blood is kept in Naples, as a relic. It liquifies and bubbles when exposed in the ... Continue Reading

1. Me

:) (Big Smile to you)!

2. Kathleen Guillemette

I should write more often to thank you for the "Saint of the Day" email you send me, of course, daily. I do enjoy learning more about these Saints and why they were made Saints. It would be more helpful if you included as to what they are the Saints of.

Truly amazing that St. Januarius blood does that when ever it's exposed in the cathedral. I am guessing that it does this every time, no matter what day/month that it's exposed. What was he listed as the Saint of?

Thank you again for sharing this knowledge with us all.

3. christie

St. Januarius, pray for us on your feast day. Pray that our lives may be transformed, our bad habits given up, our fears dispelled. Give us the gift of prayer and quiet reflection, poise and calm. When fears rage within me find a way out for me, that free from undue stress and anxiety, I may praise God.

Protect me from malicious bad-mouthing, harmful gossip and the hidden agenda of my enemies.Keep me focused on what is right and grace-filled. St. Januarius, though I visited Naples many times I regret not visiting the church where your blood has been venerated. But give me a smile today. Amen.

4. Julie M

Is this the same saint as San Gennaro?

5. Vanessa

Hi st. Januarius though uncommon in nigeria is just like daniel of the bible. Januarius happens to be my brother's name.please try and include the meaning and origin of names of saints. Thank you.

6. Lauren

You might want to be more specific about when the blood liquifies. (which is on the first saturday after the first sunday of May (I think. It is early May, I know for sure.) and on his feast day (September 19th).

7. Joseph Mathew

Dear St.Jahuarius, please pray for us to love Jesus in all circumstances; and die for him if need be, as you did! Thank you!

8. La Donna

This message, short and sweet, was very helpful indeed. I thank you for it and others.

9. Michael Trimming

St Januarius : is known in Italy commonly as St. Gennaro.
    It would be helpful if you posted the common Names as well.

Why can I not find St Maria Alphonse Ratisbonne in your 'Find Saints' ? He is a very important Saint in Roma (Church of St Andrea delle Frate) and in Israel.
    Catholic OnLine does not have a 'Contact Us' button.
    Saluti
    Michael

10. catholic man

This was so much help. Thank You catholic online.