St. Charles Lwanga and Companions Comments

For those of us who think that the faith and zeal of the early Christians died out as the Church grew more safe and powerful through the centuries, the martyrs of Uganda are a reminder that persecution of Christians continues in modern times, even to the present day. The Society of Missionaries of Africa (known as the White Fathers) had only been in Uganda for 6 years and yet they had built up a community of converts whose faith would ... Continue Reading

1. Henry Gumeni

Joseph Mkasa pray for me. I will live to remember your words,A christian who gives his life to God is not afraid to die

2. Joseph Mathew

St. Charles Lwanga and the martyrs of Uganda are an inspiraration to the whole world! Please pray for us!

3. Perry Bunda

I feel great for Africa that during the early years of spreading the gospel there people of great faith.I challenge all catholics to emulate these martyrs of Uganda.They were not afraid to die because they knew that the soul never die for those who believe in lord Jesus christ.AMEN Zambia

4. nICODEMUS OKUKU

Thanks to God for giving the mother church such a wonderful people like the saints of uganda. may their inspiration remain a mark in my heart to sacrifice for faith.St charles lwanga and companion pray for me.Amen

5. gabriel gatdor

now i have known more about lwanga am from sudan. school of mine call saint charles lwanga i luv so much .

6. Margerit Woldetensae

I am catholic, I heard 4 months ago for the first time from a catholic lady about the martyrs. She visited the martyrs of uganda some years ago and she brought holy water with her. The holy water healed a woman with breast cancer. They are saints.

7. Anonymous

Saint Adolofu Mukasa Ludigo, pray for us!

8. thabo

Thanks,know I understand the history behind this name "Saint charles Lwanga" an my church is named after him.Saint Charles Lwanga Catholic Church in Soshanguve-South Africa.

9. Charles

I have been searching ceaselessly for an indept history of the matyrs of Uganda. Their faith and courage are mystifying.

10. Bin Kaima

Thank you for providing us with this information. I am a Muganda by birth. I belong to that same tribe of the Ugandan martyrs. For a long time I have questioned the truth in this claim, "King Mwanga was a violent ruler and pedophile who forced himself on the young boys and men who served him as pages and attendants".

It has always been used as the evidence for the killing of the martyrs but it is wrong. I acknowledge that those men died for our religion and there is no doubt about their martyrdom. I only request you to be more informed that the reason for killing these people was rooted in the struggle to convert the king and his chiefs by the different religious groups that were in the kingdom at the time. Conversion of the king and the chief was important at that time to increase converts form the king's subjects. Religious groups included Moslems, protestants, and Catholics. The groups are also responsible to the religious wars of that time and political instabilities that exploded out of their conflicting interests. If it were Balikuddembe's (a catholic) criticism that annoyed Mwanga then why were Moslems and protestants killed. How about Bishop Arlington had he also resisted Mwanga's morality? Please be more informed, make more research about the death of the martyrs. The cause was more of political-religion conflict than that false theory of Mwanga's behaviors. Since when did Christian basic teaching include resistance to pedophile and homosexuality that Joseph a fresh convert could use it as an argument to defend his religion? Thank

11. Brendan

A wonderful, in depth description of some modern day saints. Thank you.

12. Woody

St. Charles is ideal to promote in view of African Catholic growth, Anglican participation in the martyrdom, and same-sex fight.

13. joseph philip heist

this is a very interesting article about the African martyrs. it is still going on today.

14. Bernadette Maguire

May Our Blessed Mother Protect this website.

15. Carol Benoit

An excellent and enlightening article. I have for a long time wished to learn about the lives of the saints on their feast days. The details in this article truly brought the sacrifices of these young Christians vibrantly to life!

16. ACQUAH MOSES

I am a catholic by faith and birth i have read of the life of the great saint lwanga and compaions,am establishing boys school and naming it in houner of the saint charls lwanga any help and advice will highly be accpted. am a ghanaian and a trained teacher.

17. Barnubus

This website is the bomb. like tick tick.!