St. Anthony the Abbot Comments

Two Greek philosophers ventured out into the Egyptian desert to the mountain where Anthony lived. When they got there, Anthony asked them why they had come to talk to such a foolish man? He had reason to say that -- they saw before them a man who wore a skin, who refused to bathe, who lived on bread and water. They were Greek, the world's most admired civilization, and Anthony was Egyptian, a member of a conquered nation. They were philosophers, ... Continue Reading

1. peter dsouza

I HAVE BEEN READING THE LIFE OF DIFFERENT SAINTS HONORED TO THEM EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR, BUT I AM DEEPLY BLESSED IN KNOWING THE LIFE OF ST. ANTHONY THE ABBOT, I SHALL STRIVE TO PERSERVE IN MY FAITH AND PRAY THAT ST. ANTHONY BLESS AND PRAY FOR ME IN MY PERSEVERANCE. THANK YOU

2. christie

Dear St. Anthony the Abbot, blessed am I to read about your saintly life of heroic virtue. Pray for all Catholics. Should we suffer boredom, teach us a way to overcome it like you did by weaving palms, for example. As the saying goes "An idle mind is the devil's workshop". God provided for all your needs and saw your battles against the evil one. I believe our loving God is always near to protect us against our enemies, the works and pomp of the devil.
    Today on your feast day, stay at my mother's side and give her divine comfort, consolation. Also, grant healing, and a permanent cure to all children born with fragile X. Free them dear Saint of all developmental delays, epileptic seizures, speech delays, learning disorders and poor behaviour. Grant that my grandson be accepted into the Healing programme that he's waiting for.
    Help me to be prayerful always, to be focused on our Divine Master. Come to my assistance when I have doubts, obsessions, scrupulosity, fears and suspicions. Dear saint, what a marvelous life of self denial you led. Though you sought obscurity, many came to you for spiritual guidance. As you have helped them, help me now too. Amen

3. Fr.Joseph santiago, Murugathuran Patty

The patron saint of Murugathuran patty is St.Anthony the Great. We thank him for all the blessing and protection .May he continue to intercede, bless and guide for our family Joseph-Theresama, John Peter-Priya, Ahsa geneliya, Michael-Janci Rani, Akash

4. sakura

Prayer: Saint Anthony, you spoke of the importance of persevering in our faith and our practice. Help us to wake up each day with new zeal for the Christian life and a desire to take the next challenge instead of just sitting still. Amen [copied from the text above]

5. D, C.

St Anthony you are an inspiration to all of us! Thank you and pray for all of us who are in need of your intercession.

6. arathy naveen

Dear St Anthony,Thank you for all the help.THe pprayer has really worked.

7. Sandra Schneider

I purchased a copy of a Middle Ages Prayer Book of Hours called "The Hastings Hours" [1480] from Pomegranate Artbooks in San Francisco, CA. The illuminated book contained only art. I wanted the private devotion short services, psalms, prayers, readings. Prayers and memorials were often addressed to individual Saints in a Book of Hours, and since "The Hastings Hours" contains an illustration of Saint Antony of Egypt I hoped to find a prayer for him. Does anyone know where I can find the manuscript, hopefully with a translation into modern English?

Sandra

8. jeya

Hi,
    Can you please send me the prayer in tamil fir st Anthony

Thanks

9. Joseph Mathew

I love St. Antony because of his tottal dedication to God in whatever he did. He tried to become what he preached. Help me St. Antony, to resist the temptations of the devil and remain close to God, as He is close to us!!

10. Frank Speyerer

St, Anthony the Abbot is the patron saint of butchers, as well as of pigs and those who raise them.

11. Patrick Doraey

The article on St. Anthony the abbot was quite inspiring to me also. I especially enjoyed the comment by William Jerome explaining the term 'Serecen' I to was wondering what they were.

12. Catholic

Saint Anthony pray for us!

13. Antony UK

I wish St Anthony Abbot and Saint Antony of Rome who share Jan 17th as their feast days, with the other saints and blesseds ,the happiest time in heaven. Thank you dear Saints for spreading the gospel of The Lord.

It is an honour to be named after you.

Antony UK

14. nancy

i have his novena in my mother tongue (tamil)...if any one interested i will mail

15. William Jerome

"Saracen" is not the right word; Saracens was an old term for Moslems. In Tony's day there were no Moslems and wouldn't be any for hundreds of years. The word is "Arabs', or ,still better, "bedouins" since they were unlikely to have come from Arabia.

16. Gerard Joseph

I too have been searching the internet for the last couple years and could not find any novena. Infact, St Anthony the Abbot is my Family Patron and we celebrate his feast of Jan 17th every year. We have been celebrating for the last 5 generations.Every 1st male child in the family when he becomes an adult takes the responsibility for the celebration. It's sheer Grace of God and intercessions of the Blessed Virgin Mother Mary and St Anthony the Abbot that we always have a baby boy to continue the Holy Tradition.
    If I find any novena I'll surely share in this site.
    God Bless
    Gerard Joseph
    Bangalore, India

17. Monica

I too have been searching for a St. Anthony of Egypt (Abbot) novena. If anyone knows where to purchase a novena booklet on him or a link to a website - please post. Thanks!

18. Fr. Marlo John Arnante

I am a newly installed parish priest of a new parish under the care of our patron saint, St. Anthony Abbot. I have been wandering the net looking for the novena prayers for st. anthony abbot. not one i found. is there anyone who can help me please. email me.

19. Francisco J. Cabezas

A beautiful article that helps me grow spiritually. St. Anthony was a spiritual Master and we always need this kind of holy Christians to encourage us live a truly Christian life in the midst of so many worldly tempations. Thank you very much.

20. Pauline

Hello, I want to know, are the Western church and Eastern churches celebrate for st. Anthony? And which day for celebration?