St. Andre Bessette Comments

When Alfred Bessette came to the Holy Cross Brothers in 1870, he carried with him a note from his pastor saying, "I am sending you a saint." The Brothers found that difficult to believe. Chronic stomach pains had made it impossible for Alfred to hold a job very long and since he was a boy he had wandered from shop to shop, farm to farm, in his native Canada and in the United States, staying only until his employers found out how little work ... Continue Reading

1. gary s. sovie

my favorite saint is SAINT JOSEPH & joseph is a comen name for sovie SAUVE'.

2. Pat Bartoshesky

This article needs to be updated, with Blessed changed to Saint, etc. Thanks.

3. Kacee Potter

I am overwhelmed to find others on this page who are the great nieces and nephews of Bro. Andre, my grandmother's maiden name is Bessette (now Levesque) and out family has made many trips to Montreal, however, I have never had a chance to go. I would love to learn more about my family, it seems that plenty of us have visited this site!

4. jean

I find Andre Bessestte's life story very touching. I often wonder why so many "weak" and simple people were so close to God and so gifted with the ability to cure people of horrible disease/horror's. St. Andre Bessette makes me feel very very humlbe.

5. Matthew

I enjoyed the article about Brother Bessette... however, I was disappointed to see an ad for Botox on this page. What would Br. Bessette say about that?

6. bubba

this is so cool i love it so much he is my great uncle i feel so special and i feel like i cant do anything bad

7. martin

awesome
    he is so cool i have to do a paper on him

8. Roxanne Fraser

I have recently discovered that Brother Andre was my Great Uncle, my grandfather was Francis Bessette/Bassette and my grandmother Anna Dora Bassette. I have found reading his history interesting and feel so proud to be connected to a man of such strong faith.

9. Julie Lafferty

This is such a revelation! Today in confession, my priest suggested I pray to Brother Andre about money and generosity. He told me Brother Andre had recently been made a saint by Pope Benedict. So, I looked him up and found that he was responsible for the building of the basillica in Montreal My husband and I visited the same and were awestruck by the size and beauty of it. We didn't know the story, but remember the visit well. We are from California, but loved our trip to Canada.

10. Joslynn Bessette

It would've been nice to go to Rome and watch my own cousin get canized by the pope as a saint. Even though i really didnt know him only my great grandpa Marcel Bessette and his wife did i still think its interesting to learn about my family history

11. ANNALEE FRICK

i love the story of Bro Andre and it moved me as well as inspire me to do service for others for God. Thank you!

12. Barbar

It's interesting to reflect how many saints were porters - St. Bernadette, St. Faustina, and a German monk whose name escapes me. I think there are a few more. All of them were in poor health and suffered terribly.
    None of them were considered very bright, yet what sanctity. Come to think of it, isn't St. Peter at the pearly gates? Portia's (from the Latin for door) in The Merchant of Venice mercy speech also comes to mind.
    His order, the Holy Cross fathers, need our prayers - Fr. Jenkins at Notre Dame is a Holy Cross father. The history of the order, arising as it did in the aftermath of the horrible persecution of the Church during and after the French Revolution, makes the liberalism infecting many members of the order, and the institutions they founded, particularly painful.
    EWTN has a film about Brother André's life. It's historically accurated and very moving. Interesting for it's documentation of the state of medical science in his lifetime. .

13. SECF

When my husband and I were planning a wedding and honeymoon, our honeymoon plans fell through and we hastily decided to go to Montreal. We discovered the Basilica by just strolling through town; had never heard of it or of Bl. Andre Bessette. Since I have a devotion to St. Joseph also, my husband and I went and visited and saw it as serendipity that we found it in the first place. I am happy that Brother Andre is now being recognized as a Saint and I wish I could go back to the Basilica; it's beautiful and peaceful inside and out.

14. Hannah

All one need do in Montreal is ask directions to "the Oratory"... It can be seen from all over the city, situated as it is on Mt. Royal, and has become one of Montreal's most famous landmarks!!! Br. Andre's story is such a beautiful example of perseverance from humble beginnings, like Bethlehem!

15. ELLERY MALONEY

A mass is being held at the Bell Centre in Montreal,Que.on October 30th 2010 in honour of Brother Andre's canonization into saint-hood.It is anticipated that thousands of people will be attending this celebration.

16. BArbara

Isn't Blessed Andre Bessette now St. Andre Bessette?

17. Katie Koenjer

whoa...this is heart touching.

18. PETER

ST JOSEPH ORATORY IN MONTREAL CANADA WELCOMES 2,000,000 VISITORS EVERY YEAR

19. john moreland

it would have been nice to know where the basilica is located so that one might go there when in Montreal.