St. Andre Bessette Comments

When Alfred Bessette came to the Holy Cross Brothers in 1870, he carried with him a note from his pastor saying, "I am sending you a saint." The Brothers found that difficult to believe. Chronic stomach pains had made it impossible for Alfred to hold a job very long and since he was a boy he had wandered from shop to shop, farm to farm, in his native Canada and in the United States, staying only until his employers found out how little work ... Continue Reading

1. Jeanne Kochan

Thank you for this article.
    My devotion, not St. Andre's holiness, to St. Joseph, is great.
    He, St. Joseph, helped me when I was a single woman, especially on trips alone over the great state of Arizona.
    He (St. Joseph} answered my prayers to have my brother relocate to Arizona., and not only that, but Joe, my brother, bought the home next to mine.
    Oh, St. Joseph, you are the greatest!!!
    jeanne

2. B. Jones

St. Andre has inspired me as well. I now share his devotion to St. Joseph and pray the littany to St. Joseph as my parents did until they passed. When the Oratory comes to mind, which is somewhat often, I feel drawn to say a prayer. St. Andre used all of his life to honour the foster father of Jesus and ultimately his Son, Christ Jesus. I am happy to be on a path where I am getting to know St. Joseph and St. Andre. We are fortunate to be Canadian for the spiritual legacy St. Andre has left us and for the blessings of the holy grounds! Share your knowledge of him with others so that they can also receive God's blessings.

3. jnr58yrrthdtrryh8u

he is awesome

4. sophia regina gelsomina dipietro

My dad visit's St. Joseph's Oratory every time he visit's montreal because he is a pilot. He says that it is magnificent. Although i have never been there my favourite place would be the hallway with all the candles and then the statue of St. Joseph. Some of you may not be catholic, but it is still a spectacular place to go.
    The most shocking part about the story is that when andre was 25 he didn't know how to read or write. ouch!! Reading and writing is the most important part about priesthood.

5. Kevin

What a great story about St. Andre of Montreal. I never really knew the story behind the man before. My son wanted to do a story for conformation about him because he remembered visiting the place with me quite a few years ago. We were in awe of the size, the beauty and tranquility of the place. It goes to show anyone to never underestimate the power of a simple yet devoted man... However l wonder what St. Andre would think of the teeth whitening ad at the top of the page.

6. Catherine Annuncia Somers

I too had visited Mount Royal and credit Br Andre ,in desperation I called on him and he answered my plea for help,i was miracuously healed ,by the truth the way and the light. My husband had received a Miracle, his back was instantly healed,also, his father had ,4years(1990 )before him,,received a Miracle ,he had 22 units of Blood ,not counting,platelets etc,he was brought from the O.R.-Packed with sponges,not surgically closed,he was vented,he was in kidney failure,medically he should have died.!!!!After my husbands Miracle in 1994, I was ecstatic,believing in miracles in the bible is one thing,to actually live with someone and be witness to such a gift was another, Eventually, I felt ,this man was touched by god I am not deserving of him I am a sinner,and I was encompassed totally by Fear, sabotaged by - - - - - .There are no words to describe the horror in my mind,I was totally dependent on God to lead me, Footprints,he carried me.My husband was a regular christian and was never inferior.Thank you , Father Andre and Jesus, xo

7. kenneth

saint andre please answer my prayer and help me find my gift that GOD has given me and that is to help others

8. Ada

I have a deep need to connect with my spirituality and to become more aware of Saint Andre Bessette. This short article helped so much and has inspired me to continue in developing my love of St. Joseph and now St. Andre. I came upon this web site by accident but I do believe it was the Holy Spirit giving me direction and understanding my need. Thank you so very much. Now I know what is expected of me.

9. Jimmy

Thank you saint andre for helping my grandpa whem he prayed to you

10. Zachary

Very helpful indeed. A very nice summary, though perhaps some information on his early life would have made a nice addition. Regardless, thank you again for providing a valuable resource.

11. Anonymous

Might be nice if his patronage was included as well.

12. David

It took me a minute to figure out when Andre was born, but I really like this as a source (I often use it for school assignments) because it seems to be credible and does a great job of summarizing the life of a saint while still keeping the meaning and essential facts. Thank you catholic.org! From,
    A Jew at a Catholic school

13. stan2011

St.Andre is truly a blessing for all Canadians. A humble man who attribute all his healing to St. Joseph. May we always cherish the person who lightens the load of others. Remember us, St. Andre , my people need a lot of physical, mental, social, and spiritual healings. Pray for us, St. Andre....Hie..Hie... All my Relations....

14. Diane

I visited his St. Joseph Oratory when I was a small child and never forgot about it. People then said he would be a saint someday. Pray for us Brother Andre.

15. Carmencita

BLESSED ANDRE IS NOW SAINT ANDRE, PRAISE THE LORD, HIS MOTHER AND ST. JOSEPH! ST. ANDRE, PRAY FOR US!

16. Sakah

This Saint is very inspiring. I personally have much to learn from him.

17. Marianne

Brother Andre was canonized a Saint by Pope Benedict last October (I believe it was Oct. 17th, 2010). It would be helpful to add this info onto your website. I have visited the Oratory of St. Joseph in Montreal 3 times and I am always inspired by St. Andre's great devotion to St. Joseph and by the numerous physical and spiritual healings that took place through the intercession of St. Joseph. God bless.

18. Monica

What an inspiration this man's life is! It humbles me at the same time. It is so easy to write off people who seem simple, untalented, or who just don't fit in somehow. And it's such a big mistake. St. Andre had every virtue of success: vision, persistence, dedication, and freedom from debt. An uneducated man at the lowest rung of society, unable to hold a job for long, he never gave up. Through the example and inspiration of St. Joseph, he found his true calling and his vision. How we need more like him!

19. LINUS

Blessed Andre,am so much touched,U were truly a saint,U did not just persist,U were so patient and kind. I pray that through ur intercession,God wil also meet us at our own points of need. from Bro Linus Ugwu

20. Anthony J. Agostinelli

St. Andre has been canonized by Benedict XVI. Please change your notation about Brother Andre. Tony A.