How the Church Will Change: Evangelical Catholic Pope Francis Gives Another Interview Comments

I question the emerging "blogo-sterium", a self appointed digital council which has decided they can determine whether the Pope is Catholic enough. I choose instead to learn from this Pope with a big heart. He is not afraid to encounter self professed atheists like Eugenio Scalfari. He does so because of the love of God. He writes no-one off. He engages them all with true ... Continue Reading

1. Mr. Emmaus
    10 months ago

Pope Francis' "words" is a great light that removes the shadow that cast doubt, brings confusion, uncertainty, hopelessness, promotes arrogance and everything that is against Love, over our "life of faith".

2. fallen saint
    10 months ago

Trinbagonian (Well Said)

It is the hard core intellectuals that are not happy with the Pope. Our Holy Father is reaching out to the uneducated sinner (myself included). He has been completely faithful to Catholic Dogma as well as Catholic Teaching. The difference is.............he is not chastising or banishing the sinner. That can only come on judgement day from Our Heavenly Father. What he is doing is called evangelizing. Through the grace of God and the words of Our Holy Father the sinner may begin to seek God's wonders. Then the sinner will begin to grow in faith and understand our Catholic and Apostolic Teachings. It is time to save souls from the grips of the "created one".

That is what we called saving a soul 101.

3. Trinbagonian
    10 months ago

In the words of Bl. Jacinta Marto, "Poor Holy Father."

I have an idea for all those who think the Pope should do things differently. Come do it ... but then again, that would be a different Christian sect starting up yet again UNLESS ... you conform in obedience, and love and thanksgiving. This is The Catholic Church to which we belong.
    Please let us pray about the spirit of disobedience and unbelief of Pope that wishes to work in God's Church. Let us trust in the working of the Holy Spirit in Church. Do not speak against It. Love God's Church for love of God dictates that we ponder in our hearts, like The Blessed Mother and sit at the Feet of the Church as Sister Mary (of Martha). Yes, EVEN when we don't understand (for we do not know it all). We may find this Scripture apt:

Luke 7:32-34 " "What comparison, then, can I find for the people of this generation? What are they like? They are like children shouting to one another while they sit in the market place: We played the pipes for you, and you wouldn't dance; we sang dirges, and you wouldn't cry." For John the Baptist has come, not eating bread, not drinking wine, and you say, "He is possessed." The Son of man has come, eating and drinking, and you say, "Look, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners." "

Mark 6:3-6 "This is the carpenter, surely, the son of Mary, the brother of James and Joset and Jude and Simon? His sisters, too, are they not here with us?' And they would not accept him. And Jesus said to them, "A prophet is despised only in his own country, among his own relations and in his own house", and he could work no miracle there, except that he cured a few sick people by laying his hands on them. He was amazed at their lack of faith. He made a tour round the villages, teaching."

And YES, I don't understand all that the Pope says, but in my heart I want to. And, besides, how can I? I am no pope, or priest, or nun. I accept I don't understand it all because I am no walking Catholic encyclopaedia and I am no saint (my heart/soul are in need of conformation to Christ in The Church).
    So, I try my best to give it to God. I WILL FOLLOW The Pope ALWAYS. I am a disciple, servant. The Pope WILL ALWAYS lead me to God. Bless him for speaking his heart openly to The Church. May The Holy Spirit continue Its Work in Pope Francis. And may my heart open up to receive what The Holy Spirit is offering through him and Church.
    I will not spend a second criticizing The Holy Father about anything. That was my old life. And for those of you who are confident to do such, may God's Mercy be upon you.

4. Robert Mazzella
    10 months ago

The Church has had nothing but change since Vatican II--and those who call it "Reform" have been, quite frankly, doing nothing but making a mess of things.

5. Michael B. Rizik Jr.
    10 months ago

It was interesting to read those who defended the Pope and criticized my point about the Pope's comments on conscience. However, you failed or refused to address the point: his language - whatever it meant - was sloppy, and theologically confusing. He's a pastor, and not a theologian. He cannot continue such flip comments and expect to communicate clearly with the Church or potential converts. If his comments have context, he should state it. He should not assume an atheist, or even Catholics in the pew, automatically know what it is. Judging by your replies, you don't even know what he meant, except to say you were going to defend him no matter what.

Even this web site has posted an attempted - through a clear thinking lawyer - clarification of the Pope's comments on grace, which, when viewed in a light most favorable to the Pope, were truncated.

As His Holiness continues these off the cuff interviews, he will eventually say something that confuses even those of you who refuse to countenance he is capable of being a little to pastoral and not enough theological. And this web site, and other Catholic publications will have our hands full clarifying what he was really trying to say - which was unnecessary under JP II and Benedict XVI.

6. uche
    10 months ago

May God grant light to all darkened hearts. Amen.

7. Trinbagonian
    10 months ago

I think there is a much need to clarify because we are too intelligent and not simple enough.
    GKChesterton: we have been educated beyond our intelligence.

Jeremiah 5:21 21 "Now listen to this, stupid, brainless people who have eyes and do not see, who have ears and do not hear!"

Mark 8:17-18 "And Jesus knew it, and he said to them, "Why are you talking about having no bread? Do you still not understand, still not realise? Are your minds closed? Have you eyes and do not see, ears and do not hear? Or do you not remember?" "

Revelations 3:19-22 "I reprove and train those whom I love: so repent in real earnest ... Look, I am standing at the door, knocking. Let anyone who can hear, listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches." "

Luke 10:21 "Just at this time, filled with joy by the Holy Spirit, he said, "I bless you, Father, Lord of heaven and of earth, for hiding these things from the learned and the clever and revealing them to little children. Yes, Father, for that is what it has pleased you to do." "

May Pope Francis keep doing the Work of God and may God Humble all of us, keep us simple, keep us real in Christ.

8. Patrick
    10 months ago

I have to agree with those cited in the article as saying the Pope needs to get a better PR approach. Way too many interpreters needing to defend what the Pope is saying or isn't saying. Sorry, the Office of Peter ought to be clarifying, not confusing. It's pretty sloppy right now. LOL those who say this Pope's style is "direct and simple"...why so many needing to clarify what he's saying?

9. Knight of St. Michael
    10 months ago

How beautiful. I am a Catholic college student and I must say that Pope Francis has my complete trust. If the Spirit rest with one person in this world, it is this man. I pray that all my Christian brothers and sisters receive the messages of Pope Francis with an open and obedient heart. Now if you will excuse me, I must go discuss with my atheistic friends about the meaning of life and what is truly good.

10. Phil
    10 months ago

TO Michael B. Rizik Jr

Two points:
    1) Justice Kennedy is NOT a priest. He is a lawyer. Lawyers often look at the law without emotion or inputing their moral beliefs. They are trained to look at the law in black & white, regardless of whether the decision is moral or immoral. Morality does not matter for many lawyers. From time to time, they do look at the "spririt of the law" but again that has nothing to do with morality. I know people who are pro-choice who believe abortion is immoral and murder and would never do it themselves. But those same people believe that the law and society and not and should not be based on morals, but rather ethics (i.e. "don't push your values on me", etc.)

2) The Pope is speaking to an atheist. He's speaking to non-Catholics. His goal is their salvation and conversion. He's not going to tell them that the worse thing happening to the Chruch is "people like you." You cannot make people understand your point of view by force or attack. I attended a lecture from the Archbishop of Philadelphia this week and he was speaking about the Pope's interviews. The Archbishop said that lots of practicing Catholics know the rules of Church very well, but don't truly understant the reasons behind many things. The goal is to bring us closer to Jesus Christ and to develop a Love for Christ. I think when attack non-Catholics (even Atheists) we are not living a Christ Like Life because Jesus reached out to the sinners and non-believers. Because he did that, many of the devout Jews and Jewish Priests shunned him. Let's not do the same thing to the Pope that the Jewish Priests did to Jesus.

I strongly believe you must take into account WHO the Pope is addressing and understand the SPIRIT of what he's doing. Don't take him too literal when he's not addressing Catholics. He would never endorse Catholics to us Planned Parenthood or anyone else for that matter. But he would endorse Atheists and non-believers to love one another. And to Love is living a Christ Like life, even if one doesn't know it.