Not Again! Barilla pasta under fire after anti-gay remarks Comments

An Italian pasta maker is giving a lot of people another reason to buy his products. The chairman of Barilla pasta took a stand for traditional family values saying he would never feature a "homosexual family" in his advertising. Continue Reading

1. SFBayAreaNative

Thank you so much for having the strength to publish this article. When I heard of the controversy, I searched the internet and found nothing but politically-correct wiritnigs, bashing Barilla for its attempt to retain a traditional brand identity. Why must we all be constantly forced into the belief that homosexual relationships are normal? Last night while waiting for the 10pm news, I caught the tail end of "Glee", which I have never watched, simply because I do not watch much television at all. A gay marriage proposal was taking place, with one man on his knee, ring in hand, while a crowd of friends watched. The proposal was accepted and the two men kissed each other passionately on the mouth, taking up a large part of the screen. So gays won't buy Barilla because they are offended -- well, I vow to never watch "Glee" because i was offended. What's the difference, really?

2. Jacqui Haffner

We don't know the questions leading up to the statement that Barilla would never use a same sex couple for their advertising and we also don't know what the interviewer said to get the comment that those who are offended can buy another brand of pasta. But the interviewer certainly got his "gotcha" moment, didn't he. Appears to me the interviewer was fishing and got what he was after.

I see much more pasta in my family's future meals and thanks for the suggestion to donate to the local food bank!

3. joe

So good to hear Barilla stand up for God's values. God's values will last forever. Gays need to turn to God and turn-off their offensiveness..

4. Helen Reilly

Guess I'm going to have to be sure to buy Barilla! I do wish they hadn't issued an apology, though. Mr. Barilla aid nothing wrong.

5. Lauren Mous

I think what you are missing is that the gay community is not trying to "hijack" Barilla for their agenda. Instead they were offended by the way Mr. Barilla made his point and have taken him up on his suggestion that they try another pasta. It is possible to commit yourself to traditional family ideals without offending the LGBT community and stating that you will never use a certain segment of the population in your ads so they can take their business elsewhere if they don't like it is sure to offend. People have the right to support their beliefs and they have a right to freedom of speech but that does not mean there will not be social consequences if you use that freedom in a way others may find hurtful, particularly if you are representing something larger than yourself. For the 8000+ individuals employed by Barilla I hope that the boycott will be reconsidered and for Mr. Barilla I hope he learns to, if not be more open to those different that himself, at least think before he speaks.

6. Tom

I did not need another reason to buy Barilla Pasta but now I have one.

7. Tiffany

Buy $10 extra and donate them to your local food bank!

8. Clinton C. Somerton

Why the apology? For defending truth? Let's pray for Guido Barilla and all business owners who are attacked for daring to believe in the nature of man as revealed in God's creation. Let's also pray that the spiralling insanity of sexual addiction will be defeated by God's intervention and a new outpouring of the Holy Spirit! No one should be condemned to a life of seeing themselves as sexual beings instead of human beings. Let's love all men and women in truth -- otherwise it's not love at all.

In Christ,

Clinton

9. puddingrice

Good on Barilla pasta! A courageous step.