I Am a Son of the Church: A Big Heart Open to God, the Papal Interview Which Confounded the Media Comments

Proclamation in a missionary style focuses on the essentials, on the necessary things: this is also what fascinates and attracts more, what makes the heart burn, as it did for the disciples at Emmaus. We have to find a new balance; otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel. The proposal of the Gospel must be, more simple, profound, radiant. It is from ... Continue Reading

1. Peter
    11 months ago

I love Pope Francis. I was inwardly elated as he was selected by the Hand of God and declared to us on that lovely night. I did not know him before then but he henceforward struck me as a one of exemplary nature likened to Christ; rich in Truth- humility and love. He is a carrier of The Light, one to be "raised on the mantle and not hidden under a couch". God bless.

2. Theresa H
    11 months ago

One other thought I have is that Pope Francis may be a bit more careful of what he says going forward--SEEING how the whole world grasps at every word that comes out of his mouth!

3. Trinbagonian
    11 months ago

LILIAN, it is God's Mercy that saves. I understand that some may have a hard time appreciating this because they have been very blessed with Cradle Catholicism from which they never strayed. You must thank God that He showed you this Mercy, if He did. But many others are converts or reverts. We were very sick when we received His Call and awkwardly entered His Hospital for healing.
    A hospital must never deny the sick or serve them in harshness. The Church is to remember She's a hospital for healing with earthly and eternal consequences. Where else will the sick go? It's a universal hospital, a Catholic hospital. Many souls are sick. And this is the purpose of the Catholic Church. It is not a political center but a healing center for souls. It is not a place where all persons are the same, where all had perfect little upbringings in nice neighbourhoods with loving parents. And pray tell, how will you even begin to screen those who enter the Church? What Guide will you use? With the beginning of such guide or screening or intention of distinction, you fail to be Catholic.

What should the hospital do? God's Church is quite able to be a hospital for souls. I don't need to go through all the capable aspects of the Church that nourish and heal: the Sacraments, Priest, Eucharist etc. I don't need to tell you about how many have found healing in the Church. As you say, the Church has demonstrated mercy throughout.
    Now will the Church do nothing amidst the spiritual plague? Do you really think this is what Pope Francis wants? He is not changing the Church's Teachings. Sin is sin. But lest we forget mercy, purpose, redemption, hope ... we run the risk of becoming more self-righteous than loving.
    What should Church do? Feed Jesus' lambs.

The Church is to be the hospital. And I suspect, Pope Francis is reminding that the Church must continue being hospital for all (given no threat to injury). For me, Pope Francis is re-shifting the present mode of thinking in those where the Church was set up to be an institution of opposition rather than Truth. I find that this is especially so in the American culture. If it continues, the Church is in danger of becoming irrelevant in American society and containing much in-house bickering among American Catholics on how to treat with the situation. The world will soon follow the American lead.

I think that Pope Francis is saying that the Church needs to re-establish Her place ... Truth, Wisdom, Mercy, Healing, Love, Hope etc. Imagine possessed souls. What is the Church to do? Tell them shape up or else??? No, the Church is to help.
    LILIAN, I know it may be painful. But hold your ground. Do not lose faith because you are in the true Church of the living God. Follow the Church lead.

4. Lilian
    11 months ago

Trinbagonian, your post is really emotional but one-sided. The Holy Catholic Church is not and has never been lacking in showing mercy because it is a hospital for sinners. Here is the scenario: Some sinners come to the hospital carrying bannners that their sicknesses are normal and should not be treated because that is the way THEY ARE and must be recognized with rights to remain in the hospital, parading their sicknesses to others. What then should the hospital do? Accept all the distractions and anormalies on the grounds of mercy? Did Our Lord Jesus Christ ever preach about sins that should remain or accepting sinners who claim they CANNOT change? This is what makes the Pope's utterances ambiguos.

5. Trinbagonian
    11 months ago

PETE BRADY, I really like to look at myself in a mirror. Looking at myself draws me into ceaseless prayer to God. And whilst I may not be "a knowledgeable Catholic" or great theologian, I am an ugly sinner. This is what constantly faces me in the mirror.

As a sinner, I know what God and His Church has done for me. He reached for me, a wretched sinner. His priests took me in. And God continues to draw me. ME! I am a nobody. PETE BRADY, God's Mercy reaches for ALL whether knowledgeable or not. This is His Word, The Good News. BTW, our knowledge is NOTHING compared to the Word. God does not think like us. His Wisdom is beyond the intelligence of this world.

God's Mercy is welcoming, open to all, calls all, pulls all, loving to the depths of the sinner, infinite goodness, pure sweetness, pure grace, and totally embracing. All are proceeding toward Him. WOW! It is this Mercy that freed me from the prison of sin. It was not any one telling me that my sinning was wrong. Why don't I wish to sin? God's Love, God's Mercy. PETE BRADY, if only you knew what God did for me ... me Pete. I can confidently say there is no need to worry, no need to try to convince another. God's Mercy/Love conquers sin.

Now:
    If I approach a sinner without first acknowledging my sinfulness and what God has done for wretched me, I behave as a Pharisee, a hypocrite.
    If I approach the sinners with the "issues" by first calling out their issues, I am not welcoming. I behave as a Pharisee, a hypocrite lacking belief in God, unthankful, and thinking myself better than I am. And there's so much more to share with other sinners in genuine love.
    If I welcome only those persons that in my mind are not sinning (e.g. those not committing abortion or are not gay), I behave as a Pharisee, a hypocrite.
    If I attack the Vicar of Christ for preaching the Gospel, I behave as those who murdered the old prophets. Remember too those that killed Christ did not recognize the Christ.

I am delogging PETE BRADY. I can't judge another's splinter. I thank God for His REAL Love. I praise Him!!! I will not attack the Love/Mercy of the Gospel. I ask for the Grace to receive all sinners in the hope promised by the Gospel. God help me! And I beg pardon to God for those who are not doing the same. God help all of us!
    Some intelligencia like to reduce God to mere laws and issues, so easy it is to do this in our wretchedness. But, I have experienced the beautiful simplicity of Christ, a saving uncomplicated Love. And to those who have much, much is expected. It is His Love that moves me. And This Love is beyond our wretched understanding. May we all be able to reach for sinners at the point of their sin.

6. Pete Brady
    11 months ago

@ Trinbagonian: look in a mirror.

7. Pete Brady
    11 months ago

A "knowledgeable" Catholic knows:

that St. Paul corrected the first Pope, St. Peter, even as he did not cease to affirm Peter's authority as the visible head of Christ's Church.

that St. Catherine of Sienna essentially told the Pope in Avignon to get his derriere back to Rome where it belonged.

that unless the Catholic Church pronounces on a matter of faith and morals as an authentic matter of Dogma by either the Magisterium of the Church or the Pope speaking "ex cathedra," a Catholic may legitimately dispute, giving his/her opinion, on pretty much any church matter: "The Christian faithful... in accord with the knowledge, competence and preeminence which they possess () have the right and even at times a duty to manifest to the sacred pastors their opinion on matters which pertain to the good of the Church, and they have a right to make their opinion known to the other Christian faithful, with due regard for the integrity of faith and morals and reverence toward their pastors, and with consideration for the common good and the dignity of persons (Can. 212 - #3 of the Code of Canon Law). And there are other Canons that also address this right and duty of the Christian faithful.

8. Joseph
    11 months ago

To Abey: There's a note of desperation in your words - and unfortunately I do not think you are mistaken. The present Pope is going to prove increasingly problematic for the Church, pushing matters to an extreme point, challenging the very foundations of the faith. This man has an agenda. And it is clear that he is determined to pursue it, whatever the cost.

9. Trinbagonian
    11 months ago

How many times does he have to say it is wrong? Why should he repeat what you already know? Don't you know sin is wrong? Or do you wish for the Pope to make a list to satisfy your thirst for pointing out sin? Perhaps we need to pray for God's Will so that we will be able to listen to Him through His Pope and to receive His understanding.
    BTW whom did Jesus speak to? Whom did he come for? What did He mean for us to do as His followers?
    We ask for mercy but do not wish to help others find reconciliation. We are glad that God has shown us Gentleness but treat others harshly, casting stones ... refusing to see the God in them. You attack the Pope as those who killed the Biblical prophets, "witnesses against yourselves" (Matthew 23:31).
    You Pharisees! Hypocrites! Delog your eye before you desplinter another. And follow the Church's leadership. Help your brother/sister in sin as You wish for God to do to you and in love with a God who is ready to forgive you a wretched sinner and the worst of the lot.

10. Sum Nemo
    11 months ago

I have often said that the day American Christians discover that God is not an American patriotic conservative Republican modeled in the John Wayne/Ronald Reagan/Charlton Heston mold is that day America becomes a Buddhist nation. While that statement is a bit of a stretch, some of the comments here by Catholics who appear to consider themselves more knowledgeable than the Pope does support that thesis a bit.