Ten Reasons I cannot cheer for my country this 4th of July Comments

The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays. As a patriot, I greatly enjoy celebrating my country's birthday. My ancestors came to this nation to escape religious persecution, fought in the American Revolution, the Civil War, and have been loyal, happy citizens for centuries. This has always been a great source of pride. Unfortunately, for the first time, I am greatly disappointed in my country and I worry for its future. Continue Reading

1. DarthJ

Secession time! Republic of Alabama, for a Christian state!

2. Ta-152-H

Middle class wages have been stagnant for more like 35 years ,there's nothing more onerous then having no healthcare if you could like millions not afford it or ran out or was turn down by insurance companies because of your poor health. In the 1980s the U.S. funnel guns and money to a central American state that's killed it's native populations with Priest and Nuns in the name of fighting Marxism .President's not just this one since I've been alive (60 years)do things to win the next elections ( like promising to get out of Iraq or Vietnam )what's new about that?Cities in this country used to have more then one newspaper you knew the paper that leaned to your thinking and would buy it ,just like people today turn to Foxnews or MSNBC what's the big deal?Like our government spies on us and other government's like they listen in on the billions of phone calls a day right?When this first came up after 9/11 the Bush White House explained that the listening would catch only buzz words like "Hay! Omar when is that that thing fused to go off?'not me ordering pizza.As for our government's spying on others no less then Ally Israel had one of the greatest spying operations in history going here when they obtain U.S. Naval secrets , you would not believe where some experts think those secrets ended up at! The spy involved sits in U.S. prison unrepentant today unlike the millions in with him Israeli Prime Ministers always ask for his release to Israel ( why? he's American !)where admirers set up a pension for him ( interesting fact Allies U.S and UK spied on each other in WW2) I pay taxes all the time for stuff I'am against like the completely unnecessary Iraq war which future unborn Americans will be paying taxes which I'am not against for the care of servicemen involved in VA Hospitals well into the third quarter of this century.Your not only young but not well read on the history of the country who's birthday your ashamed of ,I can see your obvious attempt by not using dates or even recent history dating to the 1960s&70s (secret bombing of Cambodia ,Watergate) somehow your broken heart is tied into the election twice of President Obama Right!

3. Sammy

Just goes to show you how near God's kingdom is for us all. Should we just rejoice and let it all crumble? The false prophets of government and corrupted scientific views lord over those entering the wide gate. Our elections, laws, TV, food, water, air, medicine, education have all become false. We are being poisoned mind body and soul for profit.

4. Michael in Mississippi

Excellent commentary. Some of these reasons were my reasons to retire from the military recently, but I would add one more: the selfishness, laziness and stupidity of the American people, or about half of them. They are not worthy of my service and I certainly wouldn't be willing to risk my life for them again, having done that already for six months in Afghanistan. If they love Obama so much, they can bring their sons and daughters to the recruiting station and have them sign up.

5. Michael in Mississippi

6. Starzec

Marshall,
    Funny. I wouldn't have thought I would find much in agreement with you when I read the title of this piece but after reading we do have much in common.
    Where we differ in our opinions about the AHA. I do not believe "everyone" is forced to pay for something they find morally objectionable. Many people find abortion acceptable. I am not saying they are right, I simply pointing out the idea that they may not find abortion and birth control objectionable.
    Otherwise, I agree with this rant from the TV show and your article.
    As a patriot, however, I must celebrate the nation's birthday. Patriot contains patri from paternal or father. As a father, I do not always agree with my son and disapprove of some of his actions. Nonetheless, I do not deny him his birthday. Likewise, as patriot, I may not like what my country does in my name, but I cannot deny its birthday.

7. JoAnn

ONE REASON WHY YOU SHOULD CELEBRATE.

Remember 1/2 this country ARE patriots. Celebrate with the rest of us. By giving in to them, they win. God bless.

8. TJ

Uh? I think you left the number one evil off your list! Abortion! Our Government supports and promotes the daily slaughter of 3000 of its citizens...over 50 million since 1973!

9. Emma

Corporatism is fascism! We are no longer ruled by a representative form of gov. but by corporations. All can be explained when viewing current events through this lens. For instance, GE owns NBC. NBC censors the news. GE does not only manufacture toasters and microwaves, folks, but is one of the largest producers of weaponry. Weapons are not being provided to ensure peace and freedom. They are being provided to keep the profits of the military industrial complex rolling in. We pay for this! We pay for all activities of our government. It's up to us to stop writing the checks. But does anyone refuse to pay taxes? No. They're afraid of being "disappeared ". We are collectively nothing but cowards who deserve what we get! Apathy rules the day. Apathy fed in large part by those who sit online for hours at a time, ranting and raving about the state of things, but who can't or won't push the off button. The Gospel reveals that the weeds will be permitted to grow with the wheat until the time of harvest. The reaper will come at that time, bundle up the weeds and burn them. In these days, we cannot afford to lose track of the fact that before we are American, we are Christian!! This fills me with a joy that no government can quench! It should all Christians! "To whom do I go Lord? " I go to and through the Cross! So, yes, I will celebrate Independence Day. I will celebrate, but not with blinders on. My relationship with Jesus and my firm faith fills me with the courage to acknowledge these trials and walk boldly out in Faith to meet them! Those who died long ago to build this country and those serving God and country deserve a show of support and acknowledgment from us for their sacrifice. This day is NOT about honoring career politicians. It's about honoring the spirit of freedom and faith in the commoner who rose up against tyranny.

10. abey

This is called Apostasy, arising out of the complacency of the people, effecting the Faith that holds the Sin.