Heed the Warning of Archbishop Chaput: Wake Up to the Growing Threat to Religious Liberty Comments

The Archbishop of Philadelphia just wrote a new column for his Archdiocesan newspaper entitled Religious Freedom and the Need to Wake Up.  I ask everyone of our readers to take the time to read it. Once again, his words are prophetic. His explanation of the effects of the trajectory of the  threats to our first freedom, religious freedom, is absolutely correct. He concludes with these words, "The day when Americans could ... Continue Reading

1. vance

Jessica, What I hear you saying is that we parishioners have no leadership coming from the clergy. You are looking for some kind of spiritual direction that should come from our church leaders. This has been my issue for a long time. It is obvious to me that your Bishop and priests are "Say Nothing" and "Do Nothing" Liberals. So, What can I do you ask? You can do as I did and what I am doing now. Join your local Pro-Life Prayer Group, 40 Days For Life Prayer Groups, and First Friday Devotion Prayer Groups. Why??? You will quickly learn that you will be Evangelizing as our Holy Fathers the Pope had directed us to do. You will be an "Inspiration" to others to do as you are doing or change their lives for the better. You and others are supporting the Church and its Holy Sacraments. Become a prayer warrior saying rosaries at prayer vigils. Once you start you will be amazed how easy it is and how rewarding it is. Whatever barrier that's in front of you, break it. This is the hard part. There are the discouraging voices inside and from the outside telling you not to do this for any number of reasons. Just do it. You will make a difference.

2. Rob

Jessica, you speak to one of the biggest problems in the church. We do an awesome job with thelogy, but we are absolutely terrible about instruction.

For all of our cries about social issues, we have yet to actually do anything at the ground level. Parishes are so devoid of any real instruction for people wanting to be disciples outside of the parish walls.

3. vance

I encourage all to Heed the Warning of Archbishop Chaput. We all must get involved in our local church and community. We all must get involved in political campaigns of candidates who support the Holy Sacrament of Marriage, Life from conception to natural death, over turn the HHS Mandate and Obamacare just to name a few issues. This is our country and it is going down fast. Rand Paul has submitted a Bill to the Senate to over turn Roe vs Wade. This was a Bill that declared the unborn as "a person with civil rights". Harry Reid shot it down.

4. Rob

Vance, politics is politics. Both sides work pretty hard to villify the other. But that does not mean you have to cave in when it comes. Politics has become much more about personal power and the economic power you can weild than acutally doing anything for the country.

Liberals are liberals. We may not like what they stand for, but when I look at them I get what I see. Honestly, no suprises. But the GOP is different and I think it goes to the root of their problem. They can't decide who they are. I agree with you, the "conservatives of late" have mostly been squisy ones and haven't lived what they preached. And they have and will continue to pay for it.

But what probably angers me the most is the things they will fight for. They will stop government to avoid a tax increase and pretty much anything Obama. Why not the same energy regarding gay marriage, abortion or other social issues? If there blatant lack of inaction on these issues is merely because they will be villified, then it's over vance, we've lost.

Personally I've lost all faith in politics, and I think having faith in those guys for so long was misplaced anyway. I will work harder to evangelize my brothers and sisters and bring people to Christ. On he can cure the blindness that our country suffers from. I know He won't fail me.

5. vance

Rob, you made a good point about being excited about these issues a long time ago. But guess what? We ( Conservatives ) were excited long ago about the issues of today. We were vilified by the Marxist Democrat Party and their Propaganda Media as "Right Wing Fanatics", "Anti-Woman", "Against Poor People" and now "Homophobic" So, how and why did we get here?? Liberals!! The Liberals of both Marxist Democrat Party and the RINO Republicans like the Rockefeller 's and Arnold Schwarzenegger created a majority in both houses to legislate "Women's Rights" which was all about Birth Control, Abortion and anti-Family. Sadly, we suffered then as now the scourge of "Liberal" Bishops and priests who walked in lock step with the Liberals with the justification of "Social Justice". These Liberal Bishops then as now will tell you and me that they are NOT SINGLE ISSUE guys to justify why they are not addressing the Abortion and Gay Marriage issues. We can change the politicians if only we Catholics will vote out those politicians who voted for the HHS Mandate and who support Obama and his opposition to DOMA. We Catholics need to pray rosaries to God to change the Bishops and priests.

6. Rob

vance, this is the enevitable circumstance of allowing all of these things to go unchecked for so long. When you have contraceptions available at every grocery store in the country, it's no suprise that by and large people just don't care about this issue. The time to get excited about this was long, long ago. I will agree there are broader implications to this mandate, but rest assured on this one issue of contraception, the general public just doesn't care. Guess we will have to stay tuned to what the courts have to say on this.

One thing I am certain of, highly unlikely that if old Mitt won the election, he would have done anything. The opposition loves to rail about everything the other party is for, but at the end of the day, they do nothing. They have been perfectly willing to sit by and allow these things to continue for decades. Maybe their dislike of Obama is different, but it will be interesting to see what happens when (or if) the GOP wins again what exactly they will DO versus all the talk. Our national GOP leaders are a very different breed than the state guys. Too many perks to mess things up by actually taking political risks.

7. Jessica

I love and admire Archbishop Chaput, but I'm kind of sick of being told to "wake up" and stop being a "church mouse" and start being a "saint." I need some real, practical, This-Is-What-You-DO advise. Tell me what to DO, not what NOT to do! I don't have a column online or a radio show or people following me listening to my all-wise-and-powerful-Catholic-wisdom. Am I just supposed to randomly start spouting off at work about the injustice and stupidity of the culture? Yeah, that's going to be attractive for the cause and win souls for the Lord.

I'm not saying that I'm "trying the best I can", because I know I'm not, but there seems to be a lot of people out there accusing Catholics of failure and the basic reality is WE"RE SCARED AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I would like someone to offer some actual help, instead of criticism.

8. vance

Rob, "The culture is slipping away has nothing to do with Obama"??? What are HHS and the Gay Marriage push all about? Yes we've had abortion, homosexuality, drug use, etc before Obama arrived but he exacerbated these errors ten fold. For the first time in our nation's history our church is under siege by the government. Come August the Catholic Church better start providing birth control and abortions or face the consequences. Your guy did this not Bush.

9. Rob

Bob and Rafaelmarie....to your comment I would say so what? If the culture wasn't demanding those awful things we wouldn't have them. But because 1 billion catholics strong have the evangelical zeal of a church mouse, we are letting this culture slip away from us....and it has nothing to do with Obama. Obama, the dems etc is just a cop out.

10. Bob Rees

Rafaelmarie, I agree completely with your comment about Obama receiving 60% of the Catholic vote. What that poll doesn't show is the percentage of that 60% who are in Communion with the Church through at least Sunday Mass attendance and receiving the Body and Blood of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I would guess that probably 5% of the total of Catholic voters were regular Church attendees. How can someone who is Catholic Christian, or other Christian groups vote for a party such as the democrats, who in my humble opinion, are God-less. This can be seen by the DNC convention when Obama was nominated. It took them, the DNC, 3 voice votes to have God included in their platform. When you add this to the list of their causes, homosexual marriage, contraception, abortion, euthanasia and human cloning, it's apparent that they, the democrats, are truly a God-less political party.