Guest Opinion: R.I.P, Boy Scouts of America Comments

It's a sad day for both Scouting and for freedom. Indeed, it's a sad day for America. The century-old Boy Scouts of America (BSA) - created in 1910 to "prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes" - has betrayed its own constituency, mission, oath and law. Continue Reading

1. Daniel

The recent decision by the BSA is only a means to eventually having openly gay scout masters as well. Developing an alternative to the BSA must be highly encouraged.

2. Michael

I'm a Scout leader in Canada and we do not discriminate based upon sexual orientation for either the scouts or the leaders. We also have co-ed troops. And it's not an issue.
    Indeed where sexuality is an issue in Scouting is in preventing sexual abuse of children. Leaders undergo background and police checks, have extensive training and are told in any issue of abuse the first call is to the police, the second to Scouts Canada.

Scouts are trained to be leaders and trained to work together as a troop. They don't need the prejudices of us adults imposed upon them. They need to learn to accept and respect others. They don't have to agree with them but just like Alexabde D Goode, one of the famous four chaplains (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_D._Goode) founded one of the first mixed race, mixed cultural Scout troops in 1941, we would honour his memory by keeping Scouts inclusive.

3. wade

I have followed faithbasedboys .org which is a start-up replacement organization with support from various scouting backgrounds including American heritage girls which has already successfully started a faith based program.

4. Mike

All you people who think that the scouts statement that it does support sexual activity among scouts "fixes" it's decision need to pull your heads out of the sand. Accepting "open and avowed" homosexuals and saying it doesn't support sexual activities is like saying you're hooked on methamphetamines and your not a drug addict ! AND to those who say Jesus welcomed the sinners... It's NOT another 12 year old boys responsibility to convert his gay scout counter part! They're just kids for heaven sake! They deserve protection! THE SCOUTS BLEW IT!

5. Joe

For anybody looking for a great Catholic alternative to Boy Scouts, I would suggest looking into Blue Knights Boys Club. It teaches the faith in a fun and exciting way and has the added benefit of allowing you to run your group indepent of any large national organization that will potentially try to impose its idealogy on you and your children. You can find more information about Blue Knights by going to www.blueknightsboysclub.com

6. Rush Glick

Yes, it is certainly true that "Jesus spent a lot of time with the sinners. In fact He came for the sinners." However, that is only half of it, of course. Did He call on sinners (and that includes ALL of us) to feel okay about their sins and encourage sinful lifestyles just so those individuals would feel better about themselves? What was it that He said to the woman caught in adultery? Jesus did NOT say, "Go and continue to sin" as the Boy Scouts are now saying to young people with sexual identity disorders.

7. Robby Gillmore

Hi Catholic Online, and to whomever else it may concern,
    My name is Robby, I am a Catholic High-school teen and Eagle Scout and I also am a video-editor/maker so I was wondering if the man who's article you recently published on scouting, Matt Barber, would be open to me making a promotional/motivational short video to send around via Youtube dealing with helping Scouts and their troops to make a successful switch over from the BSA to the new organization that will be coming forth from the coalition meeting in Kentucky next month. Remaining hopeful that the BSA will reverse their decision, I would still like to contribute to bringing more scouters into a better run organization with higher moral standards. So if in any way its possible for me to get into contact with Matt Barber, that would be much appreciated because I would to speak with him about what such a video should and would contain, and if he agrees to me making the video, I would also need to receive an insightful account of the coalition meeting's decision.
    Thank you so much and may God bless you!

Sincerely,
    Robby

8. Tom McGuire

Seems that some folks think forming a new group of scouts will solve apparent problem. The Catholic response to all moral issues is the proclamation of the Gospel. Jesus spent a lot of time with the sinners. In fact He came for the sinners. What makes people think think that isolating the "good people" from the "bad people" will solve problems?

The anger in this article is palatable. When people act from their anger and not love what will result

9. Debby

How come existing organizations always have to change? Why could gay rights organizations just start their own version of BSA? When Girl Scouts started to go the route of moral depravity, two leaders stood up and said enough is enough, and started their own version (and a MUCH BETTER one of GS). Thanks to the road GS is taking, the organization is growing by leaps and bounds.
    I don't understand how 1% of the population can hold the other 99% hostage. How come tolerance is just a one way street for the liberals?
    Anyone thinking inappropriate behavior won't happen in camping now, is sadly mistaken. The last GS Camp my daughter was a junior counselor was her last. She was REGULARLY subjected to lesbian talk and actions. THe more she complained, to the lesbian director, the worse it got. I even went to the counsel, they told me my daughter had to be tolerant!! WHAT???? I don't think it is a matter of tolerance. She (and all the little girls who had to listen....and yes they did) had no choice, why could the other not be tolerant and RESPECTFUL of others enough to keep the talk and actions elsewhere? I also stated to counsel I didn't even want heterosexual talk/actions at camp. Trust me it happens, at ALL ages.

10. christopher

I am sorry but i i cannot think of a nicer way to put this but i feel this is state sponsored and endorsed sodomy,forced upon everyone,including our children now.