What Did Pope Francis REALLY Say About Atheists? Comments

Pope Francis really did say: "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics.  Everyone! . . . . Even the atheists.  Everyone!"  For one, I do not find this statement controversial in the least.  In fact, I would find it controversial if the Pope had not said exactly this.  The statement of the Pope is a good, if informal, statement of Church dogma. To ... Continue Reading

1. abey

When we say Jesus died for all, it should be understood that by his act he let not Judgement come on Man which was due at that time(as it is written "For all fall short of the Glory of God"))for if so it would have been a repetition of the destruction before the flood, which is to say every man who has lived ever since owes it to Him. In other words he bought us time which is called the Grace, referring to time. For the Bible does speak of the judgement to come & now comes the most important point, Does one acknowledge this to the belief in Him.? As a testimony, if any one is to read & understand the Scriptures & the Gospels, His saving Grace cannot be denied. It is all a question of being open to oneself about Him. On this an Atheist or a Pagan cannot remain an Atheist or a Pagan for long, but to the conclusion that "Jesus is the only way, truth & life to the Father in Heaven," wherein is life eternal, all to the Will of God.

2. jh

I appreciate your analysis. I anticipated misunderstandings by the public.

3. youkokun

THANK you! The second I read that redemption was not the same as justification, it totally clicked. Granted, most of this is crosses my eyes-- legalese to me, but the panic attack is halted. I only heard about this today; never have I been so glad for a follow-up article!

4. Michael

Thanks catholic.org! You redeemed yourselves (no pun intended).

5. KarlVDH

His Holiness really said what he said... no more, no less. Let people think about it... that was his intent. Everyone needs to stop "explaining" for him. the Pope knows what he meant, he can speak for himself, and anyone who chooses to do so for him is either incredibly arrogant or foolish.

6. Mark Moore

Thanks for the offer, I'll pass.

7. Trinbagonian

Thank you for this article. It is needed in a time where the attack is being made at the center of the Church!
    God is LOVE! This LOVE is not human but divine! Thank you God for Your LOVE for me. I AM NOT worthy to receive you. May you heal me. Show me where I lack. And may we all move closer to YOU (not remain stagnant or regress from You). Yes, may we do good and be drawn closer to you. Forgive us our errors. We don't understand YOU for YOUR LOVE knows no bounds. Show us how to love everyone!!! May YOUR Church reach ALL!!!
    And Lord, if you can call me in my wretchedness and mess into YOUR SACRED LOVE, I have faith that You can reach anyone in YOUR LOVE, You desire to reach everyone, and nothing is impossible to YOU. Oh Lord how wonderful you are! May I always want to help others see your beauty. Help me love for my love is not enough.