Pope Francis says atheists can do good and go to heaven too! Comments

Pope Francis has good news for atheists. Jesus died and was raised for them as well. His redemptive embrace was for all, not just a chosen few.The choice to accept its reach is our own. The Holy Father was not teaching anything new. In fact, this hope that all who do not yet know God are not only capable of doing good - but will progress toward that knowledge of God by doing good - is ancient. The Church wants all men and women to be saved. Continue Reading

1. hebrew

Great Pope!!! Great news!!!! Doing good for poor, exploited is a way to Heaven!!! Marks and Engels are the great Prophets of God, because they did more for poor then Preachers getting 10% to their pockets!!!

All Glory be to Jesus Christ!

2. Will Goodwin

The title of this article is misleading. I'm afraid that Catholics will actually start losing faith in their church when they read it. The Pope never actually says that you don't have to believe in Jesus Christ to enter heaven. He simply says that anyone, by doing good, becomes closer to the true source of goodness, which is Chris. This is actually a brilliant thing to say to nonbelievers. There are a lot of atheists out there who want to help humanity just like most Christians. By saying this his becoming more relatable to secular humanists, while at the same time staying convicted in his beliefs that you must believe in Jesus Christ for salvation. The title of this article should have been written better for the sake of people's faith!

3. Marrid

Excuse me Catholics, did you hear that? The Pope (I am not talking about some random guy off the street here, I mean THE Pope) essentially said that you do not have to believe in God to get into heaven so long as you are a good person. I wouldn't believe it myself, I think in the medieval ages they burned people for saying such things, but it came from the Pope himself!

4. Benito

This is a nice belief, but unfortunately untrue. What I got was that based off of good works done in life, one can experience Heaven based off what they had known in life, even if that does not include Jesus. The thing that sets Christianity apart from all other religions is that it isn't about doing good deeds. That is a part of it, yes, but that is not the Gospel. Being a Christian means admitting that you can't do life on your own, and you NEED Jesus, and what he did for you. The price of us sinning must be payed, and that's what Jesus did on the cross. If you do not believe that that price was payed for you by Jesus, you do not get to heaven. We do not just get off from sinning against a perfect, and eternal God. Not hearing the Gospel, not knowing of God, doesn't get you to heaven. If someone gets to go to heaven because they never heard the Gospel, or never knew Jesus, then the best thing to do as a Christian is to stay quiet about the Gospel, though that isn't the case. You do not get saved by Jesus, if you do not believe that he payed for your own sin.

5. Hector Saulnier

It was Jessus that said that unless you eat my body and drink my blood you will not have life enternal, and as the bible says many could not understand or follow that teaching and left him. I believe every one can and should do good while on earth but the purpose of life is to know and love God in this world and the next.

6. Athena

I am atheist, and I do good! This is pretty solid coming from a pope. The Vatican made an excellent choice.

7. adewale

How can someone that denies the existence/does not belief in God, now go to where that God he does not know is.To me something is wrong somewhere. Maybe the Pope is quoted out of context. The Bible made me to know in Ephesians 2:8,9 "for by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
    This is the position of the word of God

8. Wout

And to proof my point, in the reaction of 'rev. Michael Houser' he claims the pope never said atheist could go to heaven (not that we want to, we rejected this hypotheses). He says it has been taken out of context, and even throws the word Pelagianism around. So I will create some context for you by quoting the pope himself:

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! . . . . Even the atheists. Everyone!"

It might be this statement doesn't follow religious believes, but the highest authority in your church did say it. Not that this could hold any sway over anyone. The reason I object to his use of the word Pelagianism is the fact that it claims we don't need god to know, and do, rightful things. I believe truer words have never been spoken by a religious person from the old ages.
    Another problem I have with religion is it's claim for morality. It says we know right from wrong because of it. Please explain to me how we came to be alive today if for the first 98.000 (possibly longer) years of our existance people didn't know about right or wrong. And the idea brought forth by James Allen:
    "As the smallest drop of water detached from the ocean contains all the qualities of the ocean, so man, detached in consciousness from the Infinite (i.e. God) , contains within him its likeness"
    would mean that every peacefull and morally correct human would have religious values like forgiveness, love for your enemies, abstinence outside marriage, prayer and would be against gay love and marriages, other religions and nudity. We don't have to be a genius to see this isn't true, so we can safely say or intrinsic morality does nog derive from a religious deity, nor any other we know of. So it either is within ourself by evolution, or from a deity not yet discovered by men (I support the first hypotheses obviously). After that I would have to object to the statement made by the same 'rev Michael Houser':
    "In other words, Christians have a duty to be charitable to everyone, even atheists. But one of the greatest acts of charity we can do is to try to show them that they need Jesus if they wish to have eternal life."
    This believe, that you have to change everybody to your perception of the truth is destroying the world, and has done so for thousands of years. By saying 'in order to have an eternal life you need to believe what I believe' you are saying other religions are wrong. Atheist are uneffected by this statement cause we do not believe eternal life exists, and if it would nobody alive would know how you would get there.
    The biggest fights in history have been about people saying they know something another doesn't and forcing their believes upon them and killing many in the proces. This is the whole reason of my statement 'everybody can believe what they want to, but keep it to yourself'. This is personal and should remain personal. And if you would say 'you violate your own statement by telling me this', than I would say 'if you keep your believes private, I will do the same.'

9. Wout Koopman

Can you please, with all you opinions and differences, tell me what your evidence is for your specific believes, and also religion for itself? I understand it has great social values, it makes some people behave better, and give meaning to their lifes, a reason to get out of bed each day, but what is your proof for the validity of your believes. And understand that 'feeling it is true' does not count as evidence.
    And after that could you explain how being religious is better than being agnostic, atheist or anti-theist? I live a happy fulfillled life, I help people regularly for no other reason than it makes me feel good. If I see a beautiful landscape, read an endearing book or piece of poetry, or fall in love I get a warm feeling and might even cry out of happiness. I do a lot of charity and am really commited to making the world a better place. This includes seperating at least politics, but in my opinion as much as possible, while respecting peoples personal believes, of organised religion.
    There is a real danger in organised religion because, as you can see clearly in the comments on this site, it creates differences between people where none exist. I think a personal believe is no problem, as long as you keep it to yourself. Don't preach, send missionaries, teach creationism, expect to receive governmental fundings and pose yourself as charities as a cover of missionary missions. I honestly believe the world would be a better place without people preaching gays should be killed (I know this is not your religion, but it's on the same level), atheist are morally wrong people, there is such a thing as heaven and hell without any evidence for that claim. I have studied religion for many years, since I was brought up a roman-catholic, but it was an unsustainable believe because it does not at up. Next to the fact that the empirical proof is, as far as I know, non existing (please explain if I am wrong), there are no positive extra's to being religious.
    My life consists of searching for the truth of life, religion says it allready found it. With the realisation that religion is wrong the world becomes a whole lot more interesting!

10. Lizel

The 10 commandments, God state clearly, you shall not have other gods than Me. How can the Pope claim to be the Holy Father if there is already a Holy Father, our God who died on the cross and went to sit with his Father in heaven. The Almighty is the ONLY one we must worship, not wafers at a mass where you kneel before and sacrifice God then and there again and again, He was sacrificed already. God died on the cross for all of us, but you and me have to live life according to where the Holy Spirit takes you, become one with God, not an earthly "holy father" but the true Maker and only God in this world. Start to read the Bible again and ask yourself what God wants you to do. In the old testament God gave the Laws (10 commandments) just by looking at that, you will see that God does not want us to follow earthly holy father but HIM and HIM alone. Good people and good deeds does not make you a Christian, it makes you a good person. God does not want good people serving Him he wants disciples that live and breath His word. He wants you to be one with Him, so that His divine Glory will be visible not your good deeds.