Pope Francis says atheists can do good and go to heaven too! Comments

Pope Francis has good news for atheists. Jesus died and was raised for them as well. His redemptive embrace was for all, not just a chosen few.The choice to accept its reach is our own. The Holy Father was not teaching anything new. In fact, this hope that all who do not yet know God are not only capable of doing good - but will progress toward that knowledge of God by doing good - is ancient. The Church wants all men and women to be saved. Continue Reading

1. DLL

Triangle Whip: You are right in what you write I suppose,as I see it that way,as written. BUT!!! "LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART,SOUL MIND AND STRENGTH AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF!" We live in a society that mis-represents God and faith and Blasphemes God willingly. Because of this it is hard for many to know God or even what to believe about God. To love God is to love one another and to live a good moral life. God is in everyone we meet because God is our creator,God is all in all. To damn anyone is to damn oneself because that is being judgmental. Sin is damnable as a behavior pattern,as it is sin that destroys all human relationships. God has no part in sin,as God is love,so one cannot truly love and be a devout sinner. For instance to be for abortion as a woman's right to choose is not love for woman,as it is a fear of the unborn,as the unborn represent that when conceived,every couple,must be responsible for them and love these unborn babies. Pregnancy involves love,responsibility and acceptance for the procreative process that brings new beings into existence. The so called right to choose is based on the fear that a couple won't or an individual can't do this responsibly for what ever reason. Fear is not a basis for love and for this reason most wars are catastrophic not constructive. The only real warrior was Jesus Christ who won salvation for all from sin by His life,death on a cross,and His resurrection. Live Christ each moment that one lives and breathes and that is to work out one's own salvation with fear and trembling. Those that claim to have faith in Christ must do this. Those that do not proclaim faith,also must learn that to love one another is the pathway to peace now and forever. No matter what the negative circumstances sin has presented to any individual,one must turn from the evil of their sins and learn to love. To learn to love is to accept salvation. To love,is to serve God,even if one cannot appreciate his existence. God is community and that is why Catholics treasure the Eucharist so much. In community Catholics MUST live in the Persona of Christ,each one trying to be Christ-like,loving one another,as well as those without faith,because that is what Evangelization is all about. The eyes of God are all around us as those eyes are within each person on earth. In truth to sin against one person is to sin against all people and that is to sin against God because God created all and because of that,He is all and all. Not all people know God but they know when they are not loved. Love is also mercy and forgiveness. Only those that fail to love are"Screwed".

2. Triangle Whip

Jesus says no one get to the Father but buy Him. Jesus said you got to BELIEVE John 3-16. REPENT Luke 13-5 and LOVE Mathew 22-37. Fail to do ALL the 3, you are SCREWED. Pray on that..

3. Amanda

I totally agree with Mish.
    He got it spot on.
    What the Pope says I find very confusing. the prayer that was in the article could be clearer like this:
    Let us pray also for those who do not believe in Christ YET,that, enlightened by the Holy Spirit,they, too, may enter on the way of salvation. Almighty ever-living God,grant to those who do not confess Christ YET that, by walking before you with a sincere heart, they may find the truth, WHO IS CHRIST and that we ourselves, being constant in mutual love and striving to understand more fully the mystery of your life, may be made more perfect witnesses to your love in the world. Through Christ our Lord.

NOw it makes sense.

The whole doing good part, is actually a fruit, something that God enables you: the more you have a relationship with him (by first accepting the Son who died for you) the more God's spirit, the Holy Spirit, works in you and hence you do all those good deeds.

So the ORDER of how the Pope states it, is confusing and wrong. But thank God that catholic people can always read the bible online, for examle a good translation is NIV, and find things out www.biblegateway.com

Remember: If you seek God you will find God, if you seek God with all your heart. NOw that's a promise.

4. John Finn

By direct reference to the bible, Jesus said," If you confess me (Jesus Christ) before men , I will confess you before my Father in Heaven, but whoever denies me before men , him will deny before my Father in Heaven." I do not understand how anyone who denies belief in God the Father and God the Son can go to Heaven unless they profess Christ while on the earth, unless they are a member of some very remote tribe that has never heard the Gospel preached to them. This might apply to prisoners in North Korean prison labor camps where all religion is forbidden and where prisoners are subjected to continual indoctrination of communist philosophy and have never heard of Jesus Christ.

5. Eric

"I am the Way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him." John 3:36

What the pope said is blasphemy! If a person does not put their faith in Jesus, they will go to hell. The Bible is clear on the subject. Read Revelation 20:15:

"Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of Life was thrown into the lake of fire."

God did not stutter. People are free to choose their eternal destination, but being good will not get you there. Only faith in Jesus Christ ALONE will get you there.

6. Matt Spaeth

Blasphemy! I guess the Pope missed John 14:6 and John 3:14-19 while he was in the seminary. "Whoever does not believe is condemned already"

7. tee pee

doesn't it go hand in hand? God? Heaven? what point is there in believing in Heaven if there is no God?

8. Mish

Does any one else find it odd that the "scripture referenced" by the Pope is not actually cited. I do not know what scripture is being referenced. I even skimmed back over the book of Mark and still do not know what he is referring to. I even asked a fellow colleague, and she did not know and skimmed over the book. Anyone else know?

Also, I wish the Pope would make a statement concerning all of the debate on what he meant by the above. Many people are stating that the Pope basically gave atheists a free pass to Heaven, and I'm hoping that is not the case. I do agree that Christ died for EVERYONE, and that the Father longs for all to chose life. But, that would be the crucial part a free pass would leave out. The conscious decision to CHOSE Christ. To show your need and dependency of Him. Ephesians 2:8-9 is my favorite scripture because it proves that there is nothing you can do or not do to lose the LOVE of the Father. Once you have decided to allow Christ into your heart: signed, sealed, delivered... your His. :) So, people need to start getting down from the cross... Christ already DID it all. BUT, this GRACE should lead you to WANT to do good for the KINGDOM because of what Christ already did for you. Grace leads to works, not the other way around.

9. Baptist

My issue is that people that are not saved cannot do good work's, everything they'll do is sin without Jesus Christ.

10. Christine

John 14:6 - "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." This is straight from Jesus' mouth. I wish the Pope would clarify that Jesus died for everyone's sins and forgives everyone and LOVES everyone. He does not judge however there is one way to get into heaven and that is through Jesus. It's not having other gods before you; its by believing in Jesus. A few years back my father who was dabbling in different religions went in a canal and was pronounced dead. Guess where he went before he came back to the living? He stated that he went to Hell where he saw my grandfather who never repented and committed a murder in his youth. That is the truth and a gift which I was given. Ever the doubting Thomas, I have been the recipient of many miracles. I have seen the power and the glory of our lord Jesus Christ. I who was the worst sinner among them clothed in darkness. I was redeemed and changed and the Pope needs to step up and clarify and explain his position. There is no way to God except through our lord Jesus Christ.