Pope Francis says atheists can do good and go to heaven too! Comments

Pope Francis has good news for atheists. Jesus died and was raised for them as well. His redemptive embrace was for all, not just a chosen few.The choice to accept its reach is our own. The Holy Father was not teaching anything new. In fact, this hope that all who do not yet know God are not only capable of doing good - but will progress toward that knowledge of God by doing good - is ancient. The Church wants all men and women to be saved. Continue Reading

1. Tom McGuire

As the comments indicate Francis, Bishop of Rome is opening up new doors to the reality of salvation, which some people find hard to understand and accept True to Catholic tradition his comments challenge a narrow self focused view that began with the disciples of Jesus. "If they don't believe what we believe, don't do what we do they are not saved." I rejoice in the breath of the Spirit coming from the leader of the Catholic Church. Praise God!

2. George Ronald Adkisson

Some humans are taught a strick discipline and may even carry guns at work, when they are not sitting there in the pews of a any given type or named religious instituion...as a Sunday School teacher or even observing the Sabath.
    James must have known what Paul agreed was left with the individual...not the preacher and not his whole flock.
    The uS criminalized religion in the uS...and homelessness...to continue holding a coin in everyone's hands.
    It is my opinion that yes...Everyone may go to Heaven, even if they looked nailed to the cross, waiting on Jesus to come save them...or the Angel Gabriel to warn them...but look who looks like King Balaam and King Balak scheming with God looking at them..and still enjoying the coin and everything the coin represents, like all their predicessors have done since Christ lived.
    Atheists...

3. David

I'm sure it’s my inability to understand what the Holy Father means that leads to my confusion. If good works is enough for salvation, does the Church preach Christ and or good works or should it be Christ and good works leads to salvation not one without the other?

4. Raymond Horvath

At one point in my life, I saw a vision at church. I found myself on a battlefield crowded with people from all faiths and full of fantastic creatures. I understood it was the final battle between Good and Evil. Then I heard a voice, "Which side do you want to fight on?" The battle is going on.

The Pope is not saying that doing good saves you; he explicitly says that doing good, however, brings you closer to God. He also seems to observe that "God is greater than our hearts," by which he seems to imply that God does not lock out anyone who wants to fight for good against evil. As a Jesuit, he is fully aware that people's minds are locked up in culturally specific concepts, so they interpret their experience through culturally "dimmed" glasses. The essence of faith is available for all. Your words might differ is your dogmatic premises differ, but your life does not. Human decisions are made by more than the mind. "Catholic" also means "open-minded," which means we never need to be on the defensive, because we possess an unquenchable thirst for the truth. Going to Heaven? "Heaven" is here ("in and amongst us"); if you cannot experience it, you must keep looking for it. Okay, "eyes have not seen, ears have not heard what God is preparing for those whom He loves"; as He is creating us out of love, he loves us all. Going to Heaven? Why do you think Catholics pray "pray for us... at the hour of our death"? After our birth, the final, most significant moment is the moment I die, because I'll have to make my final, irrevocable decision. If I'm not prepared for it, I can make the wrong decision by believing I am making the right one. Humans are not born good or bad, but they surely receive much of their "conscience" in their early years of primary socialization, meaning that you feel "guilt" when you divert from the automated decisions that helped you stay alive in your early years. Many of those decisions serve evil, because they are based on fear and the instinct to survive. The reason why the Catholic Church is attacked by the corporate-owned media is that the Catholic teaching enables you to know better and to devote yourself to something greater than you are, which makes you immune to fear-based mass manipulation.

5. Thomas

The responses to this post are quite disheartning to me. Our Holy Father never said an atheist if they remain an unbeliever will enjoy the kingdom of Heaven. He stated that they can be with Our Lord throught works and faith. Jesus closes no gates, he leaves open the road to the possiblity that we all will be with him, many atheist have found the source of Gods Love. Condemnation is the work of the devil. "Jesus , I trust in you Mercy"

6. Guido

This is telling me that all works and no God is being declared to be good.
    It is telling me that I should not mind the age old teaching that without God, all works are dead.
    My! Oh my!
    Someone needs to explain this confusing declaration by the pope.
    It better be soon.

7. Jason

What kind of message are you sending out that people do not have to believe in Jesus to go to heaven, as long as they do good they go to heaven, that Jesus is not needed, this is the teachings of the devil, this cannot be what the pope was saying as it goes against everything in the Bible.

The Pope needs to clarify what he meant before all atheists start running around saying they are all going to heaven, or that people of false religions are all going to heaven.

Do not print satanic headlines that belief in God or Jesus is no longer required to go to heaven.

8. John Offsprey

The people commenting keep pointing out how "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6
    They interpret it as saying that we are saved through belief in Jesus, but that statement doesn't say that. The statement can be interpreted as saying that we are saved through Jesus' intercession. It doesn't say that Jesus will only intercede if we believe in his existence.

Thread lightly when talking about God, do not suppose you know God. God is wild, he is not tame.

9. michael

The Holy Bible states that the atheist is a fool. An atheist, objectively, cannot do any saving good. They might be able to plant a garden or serve in a soup kitchen, but without supernatural life, it means nothing in regards to their salvation. Without Me you can do nothing, our Lord said at the Last Supper. Atheists must convert and come to believe in order to get to heaven, for without Faith one cannot please God. An atheist qua atheist, although objectively redeemed, must participate in the redemption through the gift of belief. If not, they are damned objectively speaking.

10. John

I am surprised that a site called "Catholic Online" is misrepresenting the Church worse that the HuffPost; the Pope does NOT say that atheists can enter the Kingdom of God, and he definitely does not say that we will be judged according to our works. The Church teaches, as Jesus did, that our Lord is the Way, the Truth and the Life, and that "no one comes to the Father except through me". This is very clear; you don't get to heaven just by being good, whether you're a Christian or not.

What Pope Francis quite rightly says is that, in His death and resurrection, Jesus has redeemed the whole world; that is, he has bought each one of us out of our slavery to sin and death. That means that through his grace poured out on us, we all have the ability to do good. However, it does not mean we can work our way in to heaven! That's why the pope makes the point "we'll find a meeting point," because in doing good people get a glimpse of THE good: the Triune God.

This homily is not for atheists, it's for Catholics, to remind them that we have to meet people where they are, and trying to evangelise people from the point of view of "you're evil, and will be until you believe what I tell you" is doomed to failure; we have to see the good that they are doing and show them that all good acts point to THE good act- the Cross. Thus it is from the good acts of atheists that they encounter and discover the reality of Jesus Christ, and find the salvation which will only then lead them into the Kingdom of God.