Pope Francis Will Celebrate Holy Thursday Mass in Prison, Washing the Feet of Jesus Comments

For those paying close attention to these early days of the pontificate of Pope Francis, this should come as no surprise. There is a saying attributed to St Francis of Assisi.  Whether he actually said it or not matters little. It expresses the heart of his charism, "I preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes I use words." St. Francis became a word from the Lord through the witness of his life. It seems Pope Francis is following in his ... Continue Reading

1. John Mainhart

How can you be catechetical if you don't say Mass for the Faithful and invite the rest of the world to join.

2. Tom McGuire

"The face of Jesus is found in the face of the poor, for those with eyes to see." YES. I have learned so much from the poor. The mother who is now requires surgery, not able to work, with five children and no money to pay rent. When she tells me of her trust in the Lord. I am brought down from on hight. How much do I trust in the Lord?

Thank God the Pope will celebrate Mass for those young ones in detention. This is a sign of hope. I continue to pray that he will be able to bring the whole Church to imitate the way Jesus calls us all to be. It would be a great sign of the reign of God if we all looked for more ways to serve the poor instead of fighting over different ideologies?

3. Erika

@Michael: You make a good point. But I doubt Pope Francis would give the Eucharist to nonbelievers. The service will probably attract mostly Catholics within the institution. And if non-Catholics do attend, then there's no problem as long as they don't receive Holy Communion. I'm sure he'll work it out. He's apparently done this before.

4. Jacqui

Those who deserve it the least are those who need the most love. Perhaps there is a future priest or two in that youth detention facility.

5. abey

But not to forget, that the Love of God is in the chastising too, reflecting the Rod of Aaron in the Arc of the Covenant, which is to consider the way of Christ to be not just to love & fresh air, only.

6. jh

May God bless Pope Francis and us all.

7. Michael

By all means, the pope should be able to serve the poor and those in prison, but Mass is primarily for believers only. Visit, teach, pray, perhaps Liturgy of the Word for those in the youth detention, but Mass? Believe me, I don't want to be pharisaic, but this just doesn't seem right.