The Papal Conclave, Day 2: What's Wrong With Fox's Shepard Smith? Comments

If Fox News wants to keep its Catholic viewership, which we believe is substantial, it's time for those in charge to make a change. A required month-long retreat and absence from Fox News for Shepard Smith would be a good beginning -- to discourage him and others from sneering at the Church beloved by millions. Continue Reading

1. Missy

I'm always curious about why people who think the Catholic Church is irrelevant continue to talk about it. Why on earth would you talk about something that you think doesn't matter? How much money are these news networks spending to keep their reporters in Rome for days & days? Yet, they claim that the church is "behind the times" and MUST move "forward" to change into something that it isn't & can't. It's completely insane to me.

2. Jennifer

As a Catholic that has been away from the church for some time but am finding my way back, I found his statements yesterday disgusting. I was also VERY offended at they way he spoke to Father this morning on the news. Making a joke about the "snakes we burned on 4th of July" being thrown on top of the votes to create the black smoke. He made several I feel rude comments and you could see Father keeping his cool, but it was totally uncalled for. I do know what this man is trying to prove, but he should NOT be there covering this very monumental time for our church.

3. walter

If anyone can remember when pope john paul 2 was on his death bed, smith was making some wise cracks back then. Evidently someone at fox said something to him because the next night he was more compassionate. My wife and I both watch fox, but turn the station when he comes on.

4. Francine

Shephard Smith does seem like he is mocking the church Christ established. This morning he is making fun of the smoke, I like him, but he does seem like he might be in need of a sabatical. At the same time, I think it is just his personality, maybe he doesn't get it. He may be one of these people who thinks he is being funny, but not.

5. Dennis

I think his comments are disrespectful and he should apologize to his viewership.

But I will also add that the commentary of Catholic Online is disrespectful toward Catholic Democrats. Neither party has it right. Democrats fail on right to life issues regarding abortion. Republican's fail in my opinion, when it comes to issues involving the death penalty (also a right to life issue), war and compassion to those less fortunate. I think your editorial staff could set the right example by toning down the political slant. In Pope Benedict XVI book entitled "Jesus of Nazareth", he notes that the current world is too absorbed in "politics and money". It would do Catholic Online a great service if you backed away from your political slant. I still come here for information, but am disheartened to find politics to be a focus of so many of the articles I find here.

6. Joe

He might be looking for change in the media venue. I for one would love to see him move to an other channel that is more on the lines with is way of "reporting". Even Chris Matthews was respectful of the anticipation of the new pope.

7. Harold Olsen

Shepard Smith is one of the many reasons why I stopped watching Fox. He is a prima donna who is more interested in being a celebrity than being a newsman. He's also a liberal and like most liberals is anti-Christian and, most certainly, anti-Catholic. So, it would be very much of a surprise if he did not say something negative or disparaging about the Catholic church.

8. Bless

Very rude as all reporter do when they confront the church. They bought into the lies of the devil working well in our world. I'm sorry for father that he he was persecuted, but Christ said this would happen. A lot of us Catholics will soon be martyred for our faith. The church stand because in Scripture the gates of hell won't prevail against it. We must as a church stay together and not go at each other, but stand up with one voice and defend what we believe. Saints are made that way....we are all called to be saints!

9. Andrew

Catholics should not waste their time on Fox news anyway. What did you expect?

10. Edward Q. Guerrero

Has Shep given notice that he is moving to CNN yet? He will fit with that malign group very well!
    He should have known what the Catholic dogma has to say about his arrogant question before his mouthing off!