The Papal Conclave, Day 2: What's Wrong With Fox's Shepard Smith? Comments

If Fox News wants to keep its Catholic viewership, which we believe is substantial, it's time for those in charge to make a change. A required month-long retreat and absence from Fox News for Shepard Smith would be a good beginning -- to discourage him and others from sneering at the Church beloved by millions. Continue Reading

1. ninov

Fox News is promoting GAY MARRIAGE. I do not watch FNC much any longer, and am excited that EWTN will be doing a daily news show starting this summer. I do, however, watch the round table at the end of special report, the last 20 minutes, and there was an add about how we as republicans need to be for equal choice in marriage and it is very polished and very well done. So do not give me any guff about FNC being conservative. It is more conservative than others but now promoting the gay lifestyle. Rubish. Let us talk about how nature teaches us that a child needs a man and a women for creation and we are not snakes that slither away when born.

They are listed as respectformarriage.org

Now, you may say commercials do not mean endorsement, however, if you watch FNC, you promote the network and the network, by accepting the ad, is choosing to promote what the Catholic Church calls intrinsic evil. I will watch FNC because it is the only news I can stand and need to stay informed on some secular issues but most of my news comes from CatholicOnline, Kresta in the Afternoon and other sources.

Rubish!!!!!

2. Chris

Pray for the unity of all Christians.

"If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you. "If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. "Remember the word that I said to you, 'A slave is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you; if they kept My word, they will keep yours also."

Gospel According To John

3. Tom McGuire

Dennis, I agree with you.

I have not watched TV since the beginning of December 2012, except for the inauguration of President Obama. It has been a great source of freedom and given a lot more time for prayer.

Smith did not say anything that I have not heard from many faithful Catholics. That said, why would anyone go to FOX News for information about what is happening in the Church? The bias of News media is by definition out to make news from NEGATIVE events. The Gospel is Good News. Why can't that be the focus of this and other Catholic information sources? That does not mean we ignore the sex abuse scandal and the administrative mess in the Vatican, but even news about the problems can be good news if viewed in light of the Gospel.

4. Barney

What a drama this is! All eyes are on Fr. Morris to see how he's going to react. Doesn't this scene look familiar? This Sunday is the 5th Sunday of Lent and the Gospel reading is taken from Jn 8:1-11 (The Adulterous Woman). We see in the Gospel Jesus "straighten up" (standing) to defend the girl (a sign of justice) and now we see Fr. Morris, in a way, "straighten up" and defend the Church and the seat of Peter. This is Gospel in real time, though not a "proud moment" for Shep who came like the Scribes & Pharisees to entrap Jesus. Though God is in the process of making "all things new" (Is 43) this scene is nothing new with a biased media or it's minions. Eventually all that wish to fight with God and His Church will be "snuffed out and quenched like a wick" (Is 43). Yes, Shep is on thin ice. Perhaps the same finger that traced in the dirt before a judgmental crowd will trace on Shep's heart "to do something new".

5. Mike

Is this really surprising? As one commentator noted anti-Catholicism, at its best in the media. Regardless of the channel.

6. Steve

This is another example of the sensationalist media creating new instead of reporting on the facts. Shep Smith is a prima dona with the "look at me" mentality. If he knew anything about the Catholic Church, he never would have asked those ridiculous questions.

7. Guiseppe

Finally.. "Shep".. shows his, left of the center, Relativism! He definately, doesn't belong, in the conservative media. I stopped watching him a long time ago--maybe, now, he's convinced others to do so. His remarks smacked of some the worst, Anti-Catholic news, coming out of Rome in the past several days!.. "BYE" ....Shep!!!

8. Loretta Garcia

I already gave up on Fox News totally for Lent.

9. Kat

I agree with Dennis. I am a Catholic. I am a Pro Life/anti abortion Democrat. I don't completely agree with either party 100%. It is frustrating that when reading articles, it seems that all Catholics are supposed to always support the Republican party. I disagree with both parties on certain issues. I don't come to this web page for politics and would find this page more enjoyable and informative without the political slant. If we want to grow the Catholic Church we need to start by not alienating members whether intentional or not.

10. Daniel

I don't believe this is anything to get overly reactionary about. Anyone who is a regular viewer of Fox is quite aware that Mr. Smith is one of the "resident libers". He was either expressing his own beliefs and opinions or playing "devils advocate" on the name of a "fair and balanced" viewpoint. I am sure that this is not the collective viewpoint of Fox and I certainly wouldn't stop watching them because of one persons ignorant viewpoint. Until Father Morris, who I think is great, takes off his microphone and walks off the Fox set I will continue us to watch because they are the ONLY news station that is not skewed completely to the left. Let your feelings be know to Fox but don't let one ignorant viewpoint get to you. If you want to be enraged watch CNN for five minutes.