The Papal Conclave, Day 2: What's Wrong With Fox's Shepard Smith? Comments

If Fox News wants to keep its Catholic viewership, which we believe is substantial, it's time for those in charge to make a change. A required month-long retreat and absence from Fox News for Shepard Smith would be a good beginning -- to discourage him and others from sneering at the Church beloved by millions. Continue Reading

1. Anzlyne

The comments of Shepard Smith were just indicators of how much the world needs evangelization. Rather that marking him out as a target for criticism, mark him as the object of evangelization., Let's win him over. Over time I have heard some of his references to the Crusades, and to the Inquisition. He is not a bad guy with bad intentions. He just doesn't know what he doesn't know. I think he is earnest and honest enough, that if he knew the truth, he would tell it. So maybe this is another call for all of us to step up.

2. Naomi

He was doing his job. Asking questions that a lot of people want answered. I think it's dangerous to suggest journalists should tiptoe around the Catholic church, pretending the whole institution is squeaky clean- or else be fired. That's corrupt.

3. ange

Mr. Hugelmeyer, those comments weren't "Shep" being a liberal, they were "Shep" being a jerk. Not all liberals are that disrespectful, but jerks are.

4. lou

maybe he should change his name before he makes too many religious comments, HA! anyway, he is just trying to be cool and misses the mark. don't watch this channel so not important to me!

5. Pegi

I am a dedicated Fox viewer, saw the broadcast and took special offense to the 'popeland' comment. Why would a news agency send a commentator to Rome to cover certainly the most important story of the week (basing that on it is every news source's lead story) when the commentator seems to have a disdain for the Church?

By the way, on Wednesday asked if he will be back for the Installation, his response was flippant and had the enthusiasm of a school boy bringing home a lack luster report card.

Take a hint Fox, send someone who cares!

If the TV is on in the afternoon I usually turn off Smith, now it's a official.

6. Stanley S

Any serious Catholic that wants a catholic news should never look at Fox or CNN, go to EWTN for catholic news.

7. Vin

I watch Fox more than other news channels although not Mr. Smith. Maybe he is the so called "balance" part of "fair and balanced" , except that slandering the church and it's members is far from "balanced" in my humble opinion. If we want to be slandered, we can watch MSNBC.

8. vaughn.charles.perez

First, Shepard Smith should be FIRED. If he were to attack homosexuality, there would be nationwide uproar and he would not have a JOB. That's what it is. A job and he was very UN-PROFESSIONAL and his employer's should recognize that we have over 1.2 billion Catholics. Our Lord and Savior Christ is true man and true GOD. He too was not accepted by the world. But our Catholic Doctrine says that we should not be of the world but to be a light to the world.
    Catholicism is based on truth, hope faith and LOVE but the Greatest of all is LOVE and has been that way over 2000 years. St. Peter was our first Pope, Christ told him upon this Rock you shall build. He is the true foundation of our Catholic Church and 2000 years from now we will still not have women priest.

9. Robin Springer

Shepard Smith of course forgiven, but you know .... women should not be priests for the simple fact that our Lord Jesus is a man; and tradition of Catholic faith should be to follow in it's entire balance from earliest times. At least that's what I feel :)

10. Aaron Friedman

After reading through this article, I'm not quite sure what the problem is? So, there were a few comments made, that the Catholic Church seems to be offended by. But let me ask you... was anything said about our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ? That answer would be, 'NO'. If a news reporter or anchor makes comments about a church denomination... I don't care if it's the Catholic Church, Baptist Church, Presbyterian Church, etc... I don't see any harm in that. The church of today is made my man, not God. And as such, it is flawed, like that of all man.

Now in this case, had Shep talked inappropriately towards Jesus - then it would be a whole other story. We would at that point have every reason to show concern. But in this case, let's pause our acts of revenge for just a moment... take a step back, and think about who we are defending? Are we defending the church or Jesus? Because personally, it is Jesus that I love and live for - not the church.