Gay marriage could result in largest persecution of Catholics since Reformation Comments

Over a thousand Catholic priests and 13 bishops and abbots have signed an open letter saying the effort to redefine the definition of marriage in England is the greatest threat to religious freedom since the Reformation. Continue Reading

1. Emma

@Traveler......."the sad generation(the millenials)are godless" ? Sorry. Don't buy it. Here we go again, pointing fingers. As long as the members of the church continue to "cast stones", my generation will remain godless. Why would a young person want to enter a church to worship, when they're met with lofty glances and "tsk, tsks"? There is no perfect person, none without sin. That is why we have the sacrament of reconcilliation. There are many of us out in the community standing for life, volunteering in nursing homes and homeless shelters, participating in food drives and witnessing to our peers through compassionate human interaction and music. We are Roman Catholic, but we have seen that the need for Christ among our peers cannot be met if we remain only within church sponsored functions. You may not see us in church on Sunday. My particular parish has youth services and gatherings, retreats and classes, so it's just possible that we are not visible to someone who attends Mass at another hour. We also have jazz mass, services in Spanish, Chinese and a peace and justice committee made up of young people under the guidance of older laity and pastors. AMF.............we have a good time together!!! Anyone is welcome in our sevices regardless of race, ethincity, sexual orientation, cultural background or economic circumstances.

If there are children and youth of my generation who are lost to Christ, it is not of this generation's doing. It was the "free love" movement of our elders in the 1960's and 1970's who inintiated this free for all. Children learn what they live. Quite a number of my peers have been raised by single parents and in some cases same sex couples. I grew up with a single mother who had an addiction problem. Was it a picture perfect childhood? No. But, I did not choose my childhood circumstances nor did I choose to have a father who decided that parenthood was not conducive to a comfortable life. That was what they learned from their parents. Many, many of us grew up in environments that were trying. I like to think that makes us very valuable to the church. We are Christ Centered and strong in our faith, not godless heathens. We are trying with all our might to bring the Light of Christ to others of our generation who have been judged and condemed by elders in the Catholic Church. It serves absolutely no intrinsic value to point fingers and call names. It serves no purpose to quote scripture to others who have never opened the Book. It only drives them away. We choose to intermingle and minister in love to others. We choose to sing out to those under the shadow of the steeples of the Catholic Church and loudly, loudly cry a welcome "Come and Worship"!! We are not godless!! and btw..........most of my generation don't watch mainstream tv. Very few even bother. Will we be persecuted for our faith? Perhaps. But, I lived a life (as have many of my peers) in persecution. That has made us very strong. Have no fear. While some have been sitting in their cushy middle class lifestyles, some of us have been gaining strength. If persecution is in store, bring it on!! "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!" And there could be no greater gift than to do so.

2. Rob

Tony, God stopped being the center of marriages decades ago. And that is precisely why we find ourselves here. You cannot basically trash a sacrament to the degree our society has and not expect blowback. We can't tell the secular society to respect the sanctity of marriage when it our own ranks we treat it like nothing vis a vis our divorce rates etc.

Only strong Catholic marrages that result in strong catholic families, kids etc will ever turn this tide. We can't look to a secular government to restore this sacrament or defend it. We have to do that. If we don't respect it, no one will.

3. Xavier Anbarasu

Hats off to Tony!

One should understand the difference between love and the act of sin. Excerpts from your answers can be used for a healthy argument. I wish more and more people read your answers to clear their thoughts, ways and actions.

4. Tony

Erin: "This whole thread makes me very sad. Filled with so much hate, so much ignorance, so much misinformation."

The thread is really saddening for one reason only. It saddens me in particular because God is not being the center of all the discussions about gay marriages. But I remember from God: "My ways are not your ways, my thinking are not your thinking". There is no hate here, there is no ignorance, but the greatest misinformation is coming from the side of the gay rights advocates. God's message: It is not wrong for a man to love another man nor a woman to love another woman, but he emphasized simply not to commit sin. He said what he abhors the most is a man to a man and a woman to a woman. He did not create mankind this way. He gave us Adam and Eve, not Adam and another Adam or Eve and another Eve. God is the beginning and the end. God has a good plan for mankind but because of Lucifer, the evil revel angel, he convinced Eve to deviate from God's Plan. So sin is a deviation from the plan of God. And in God's Plan of Salvation, man to a man and woman to a woman marriages is never part of that plan and never will be. God will never change in His ways and thinking to conform with the gay rights movement. Let us all remember what happened Sodom and Gomorrah. What happened then will never make God change His commandment. He said we can do anything we want to except to sin. So what is not of God is of the devil. And if it is not for God then who is it for? We are given free will by God to chose His Ways or My Ways. God said the song My Way is the favorite song of the devil. The word hate is not of God. Love is of God.

Erin: "I pray for all of you daily, that your eyes will be opened to love and acceptance. If you truly in your hearts believe so strongly in virtuous lives, ones, without sin...is this how you live?? No sin is greater than another...why fight so hard against this particular one? Is not infidelity a sin? Divorce? Polygamy? Lying? Masturbation?"

Jesus in His time: wants us not pray for Him but pray for your parents, your brothers and sisters, love ones... I agree we should pray for one another and to love one another as commanded by Jesus but please never pray for us to accept a sinful relationship - the gay marriages and to add to this couples who are living as husband and wife though they are not in the eyes of God. A sin will always be a sin and to God it is an abomination because it is a deviation from His Plan of Salvation. God sent His only begotten Son, Jesus, to redeem us and show us the way, and Jesus did not teach us to walk away from God's commandment.

Erin: "Fear is leading this witch hunt. Fear and a belief in a man as if he were God."

If you meant Jesus that was born of the Virgin Mary and became man, the Son of God whom the Holy Spirit is well pleased. then it is not us who is misinformed. Common sense and logic is never spiritual. Just remember that if you love Jesus, if you love God, you will have no fear. This I quote for Jesus: "Judas use your heart not your mind, but open up your heart and your mind."

Erin: "Religious leaders are spiritual guides, they are not infallible. They are capable of their own fears and prejudices getting in the way. We all have free will"

I agree that spiritual leaders may not be infallible and they are subject to human emotions and surely have their own free will. But let us discuss what God really meant when He gave us the gift of free will. Firstly, it was for us to chose between right and wrong, or purity or sinful. Bottom line, By choosing right and purity is choosing God and by doing the opposite is choosing the evil one.

Erin: "Do you really believe in your hearts and souls that two people who love deeply and are committed to each other are a threat to peace?"

There is nothing wrong with this as long as these two people are man and wife not man and man and woman and woman in a sinful relationship which means doing what the people in Sodom and Gomorrah had done that they were destroyed by God because not one among them where free of this kind of sin. Again, it is not wrong for a man to love a man nor a woman to love a woman as long as they don't sin. Sexual intercourse was a gift from God for pro-creation. So there is a fine line to this. Anyone who engages in sexual relationship without the blessing from God is of the devil - period.

Erin: "Do you really believe that I hear two people wanted to take a parent less child into their home and love them and are for them and help them to thrive, that this is a sin??"

This is never a sin. To give a parent less a home is of God. The problem is this. If a parent less child is fostered by a so-called married couple that is Man and man or woman and woman, this type of couple will give a traumatic future for the child when he/she grow because he/she will grow in a house of sin. Imagine a child going to school and classmates would be asking who is your dad or who is your mom? If you were the child what would be your answer and how would you feel growing up and what would you become? This is selfish and trying hard to be accepted by the community. Fine, the community will respect or accept, but will God accept this? The answer, I am not to judge here but I believe is a big flat NO.

Erin: "Do you believe if Jesus were here on earth again that this is hate would say? To love your neighbor as yourself, an to treat him as you would wish to be treated...this was Jesus greatest commandment after loving God."

Again, the answer to this is Jesus came for the sinners to save the sinners. Believe you may, I believe no one hates gays, I don't. My eldest brother is gay, he never got married nor condone gay marriages. Yes he was sinful in his young age but he realized that he was sinning against God by having sex with young men. He is now a catechist teaching young ones and adults about God, His commandments and His ways - the right way. I have gay sister-in-law, nieces and friends. I never hate anyone of them. What I hate is the sin of homosexuality, the act of it, the sinful relationship which the gay community wants man and God to accept in the guise of human rights. My golly, all have the same basic rights, everyone is enjoying freedom but what we are talking about here is whether gay marriages are acceptable in the eyes of God or not. If gay wants to marry themselves by law, they have the rights, it is their choice but is it part of God's Plan of Salvation? Hell no. It is part of the devil's plan for man to deviate away from God.

Erin: "Can you all say this is how you live your lives? God Bless you all, I will continue to pray for you and hope that He shows you the love and mercy that is lacking in he way that you treat others."

Again, please don't pray for us to accept sin or sinful relationship. Just to clarify to avoid confusion, God said it is not wrong for a man to love a man nor for a woman to love a woman, just don't commit sin. Being gay is not but the act of homosexual sec is an abomination in the eyes of God, and there will be no mercy for any homosexuals who engage in this kind of behavior if they will continue to walk away from God. The question is this, what if both the gay married couple who are in a sinful state die suddenly in a car accident? Where will they go? Will the go to Heaven? What do you think Erin? I would like to know because I am not their judge and I cannot judge. I could only judge my own life and behavior accordingly to God's commandment, whether I love God or I love myself.

May God Bless us all.

5. Traveler

Erin and others,

Are you making up your own religion? I think so.

The New Testament (Paul to the Romans) says that those who consent to homosexuality
    are as 'worthy of death' as the homosexuals. You are consenting. Repent.

The sad generation (the millenials) are Godless. They have not been taught Christian truth so they are ungrounded and directionless.

For 3200 years civilization has been based on the philosphy of "natural law."
    As Jefferson said,"the laws of nature and nature's God." The millenials see nothing but
    American idol, hooking up and 'Call of Duty.' Laike pagan Greeks and Romans, they are lost.

6. Barb

Erin, the official teachings of the Church are infallible. The leaders of the catholic church must teach them to guide people to God. These teachings, coming from God through the only church He Himself founded for this purpose, cannot and will not change. Appeals to emotions will not change them anymore than violence will. As for love? You seem to have a humanistic idea of that. Love without God is meaningless. Love that is godless dies forever.

You will pray for us to do what? Go against God's Holy Laws for the sake of this humanistic "love"? You will be praying for us to renounce Christ and denounce His Laws. I will pray for your conversion to the true faith.

7. Robert Burford

It is not that one sin is greater than another, all sin separates us from God. However, I did not make the rules. Acceptance is not the issue. I do not mind being persecuted for standing up to what is right. I do not condemn anyone, but have no problem speaking out when 330,000 babies are killed in the womb in this country and it does not matter if an unmarried heterosexual couple or homosexual couple are living together the answer is the same . It is not right. Christ said we would be persecuted for following Him and I guess He was right. I have a homosexual granddaughter and I love her and accept her. Love is the issue but not an excuse.If it takes discrimination and persecution to be a follower of Christ then so be it.

8. Erin

This whole thread makes me very sad. Filled with so much hate, so much ignorance, so much misinformation. I pray for all of you daily, that your eyes will be opened to love and acceptance. If you truly in your hearts believe so strongly in virtuous lives, ones without sin...is this how you live?? No sin is greater than another...why fight so hard against this particular one? Is not infidelity a sin? Divorce? Polygamy? Lying? Masterbation? Fear is leading this witch hunt. Fear and a belief in a man as if he were God. Religious leaders are spiritual guides, they are not infallible. They are capable of their own fears and prejudices getting in te way. We all have free will

Do you really believe in your hearts and souls that two people who love deeply and are committed to each other are a threat to peace? Do you really believe that I hear two people wanted to take a parent less child into their home and love them and are for them and help tem to thrive, that this is a sin?? Do you believe if Jesus were here on earth again that this is hat e would say? To love your neighbor as yourself, an to treat him as you would wish to be treated...this was Jesus greatest commandment fter loving God. Can you all say this is how you live your lives? God Bless you all, I will continue to pray for you and hope that He shows you the love and mercy that is lacking in he way tht you treat ohers

9. Timothy Canezaro

It is a concern when socialist and democratic politicians make as a main part of their political agenda attacks on Life, Family & Marriage.
    In France yesterday, a half million people from elders to babes and decked out in our new colors pink and blue was a beautiful sight to behold. The pictures are inspiring. Mainstream media did their best not to cover it. I remeber a gay rights march a few weeks ago with a few hundred people got more coverage and airtime than did nearly half a million souls marching in Paris for Marriage!
    We need to continue to be a grassroots movement all over the globe as we claim believers from the four directions.
    In Illinois, I have written every politician I can find an email for just to express my opinion that the meaning of Marriage should not be changed and it is okay to treat different things differently

10. Timothy Canezaro