Mayor Bloomberg: Let Them Suffer? The Perils of Secularist Humanism Comments

". . . so you didn't get enough painkillers and you did have to suffer a little bit. . . ," Mayor Bloomberg said in response to criticism of his initiative to limit the use of painkillers at public hospitals.What arrogance! I find it hard to imagine that Bloomberg knows more than doctors about when and how much pain medication is appropriate to prescribe to their patients. Continue Reading

1. Harold Olsen

I'm definitely not a fan of Bloomberg and, like Obama, I believe he thinks he was elected dictator and, like Obama, wants to control all aspects of our lives. However, on this issue, I'm not so sure I completely disagree with him. I can't help wonder if doctors sometimes oversubscribe painkillers. Whether it's out of concern for their patients or just to charge them more I could not say. Years ago, I went into the hospital for surgery, which resulted in my being out of work for a month and a half. The day after my surgery the doctor came in and asked me if I needed anything for the pain. He was shocked when I told him I was in not pain and didn't need anything. He asked me if I was sure. And when I said I was sure, the expression on the doctor's face seemed to be a mixture of anger and disappointment. That doctor really wanted to give me some painkillers and kept insisting that I should take some. I kept refusing because I didn't need them.

2. DT Strain

Dear Michael,

I'm not certain how you are associating Humanism (secular humanism, as you're calling it) with this issue about pain medication. Did Bloomberg mention anything about Humanism? Is he even a Humanist (I don't know)? One thing is certain, I know the Humanist community well and, while no group is homogeneous, you're as likely there as anywhere to find many allies against policies of overriding doctors and limiting pain killers.

We Humanists do care for our fellow human beings, both in person and in the abstract. Compassion is the foundation of Humanism. Though I can sympathize with your description of some Humanist organizations, which are too often into religion-bashing and have often been too politicized for my own tastes. Keep in mind, too, that many of these high profile figures are in government, which means they necessarily have to look at issues on a societal-level as part of their job.

I wish you well, friend. Please don't disparage all of us :)

Peace,

Daniel Strain
    Humanist minister and Director
    Spiritual Naturalist Society

3. abey

"Witches brew" is what they mean.

4. Upfront

Excellent piece, thank you! I will definitely pass this on to friends and family.

5. rafaelmarie

Aah, Obamacare and Obamacare mentality in action???...Rationing!

And pretty soon they'll decide who lives and dies due to the rationing???

Humanistic???

Or inhumanistic???

6. Emma

Bloomburg's arrogance and that of others like him in the political sphere is just what will lead this country into another civil war. His ignorance re. untreated pain is sickening. Pain is looked upon as the 5th vital sign. Untreated pain leads to loss of mobility, increased risk of cva r/t an increased blood pressure, loss of appetite which in turn leads to longer wound healing due to lack of nutrients, depression. In fact untreated chronic pain is a major cause of suicide. His lack of empathy is shocking! And what does the AMA and the Nurses ' Asssociation have to say about this? Doctors can be sued for malpractice when they don't treat pain. I don't know if it's Ca. Law or federal law, but having supported a friend through an extremely painful illness, I know that doctors and nurses must take the patient 's self assessment of their pain scale as the truth and treat them for it. I hope the AMA rips this sadistic, poor excuse for a human being a "new one ". If not, I have faith that the nurses association will! And to think, he was one of Biden's committee picks in response to Sandy Hook. Such a compassionate guy! I can't even go on this makes me so angry!! Suffice it to say that there's a special place reserved for his kind where he will get to know what it feels like to be in excruciating pain ----eternally!!!!!