Guest Opinion: Gun Control - What Would Jesus Do? Comments

The Church has always held that it is legitimate to defend one's life and/or property against an unjust aggressor, and it is equally legitimate to defend someone else's life and/or property on the same grounds, even if that defense were to result in the loss of the aggressor's life.Contrary to the assertions of the anti-gun folks, "gun-free zone" legislation is actually counterproductive, and potentially lethal to those it is designed to protect. Continue Reading

1. Bob

I think the democrats hate liberty and are the biggest proponents of murder (abortion) in the U.S. Jesus didn't tell Peter to leave his sword at home but he wasn't happy when he used it to slash the ear of an arresting soldier. There is plenty in the bible about self defense and war. David and Goliath ring a bell. Jesus would support the use of arms for protection of life and that of others but not for agressive acts. I don't think he would say we should be lambs led to slaughter even though he encouraged his followers to turn the other cheek. There is the parable about the three servants and their gold. He who burried his gold was frowned upon and those who doubled their money were praised. Same could be said of those who turn their backs on those in need of help. In cities where gun control keeps people disarmed, evil runs unchecked because good people are afraid to act. People would be more likely to report a murder and testify if they were legally entitled to defend themselves in case of attack. How often do people attack a court or police station compared with gun free zones? People with guns are not all evil doers.....

2. Bob

Put away your sword; for he who lives by the sword,dies by the sword.

3. ninov

A Catholic priests take on CCW, guns, and a Biblical, and Church Father review.

Praise be Jesus Christ....now and forever.....we place our trust in You.

4. KarlVDH

Emma, give me a break... what a silly argument to try to make! you're going to base a spiritual decision on something Jesus MIGHT have said, but which wasn't in the Bible?
    you could support ANY idea that way.
    Jesus never once mentons homosexuality. I guess in your world, that meand gay marriage is just swell with him! It never sas he was single... I guess you accept the idea that he had a whole slew of kids with Mary Magdalene.Heck, Emma... the Bible doesn't say he didn't, right?
    Give me a break... you really blew your own argument here.

5. abey

Jesus- the sword of Truth says "Those who live by the sword(of death) will die by it". What is greater than the love of God come through the Faith in Him

6. SaraPalen

right Emma, they tried to attack Jesus earlier, but the fullness of time had not yet come. They could not hurt him. He could have sent a legion of angels to destroy if he wanted to, but that just wasn't the plan.

Emma, that was awful what happened. I can relate, in a way (don't want to go into detail).
    We are all wounded by sin, even those who attacked you. Talking to a priest about it may help you more than anyone on this site. The biggest help I found was the power of prayer, prayer for the aggressors and prayers for healing. (your home should be a sacred place, you should feel safe there). The first thing my priest did was to pray for the agressor. This was my biggest help. But I would say if you still feel the need for self defense, there is nothing wrong. Your life is a gift from God (and baby too).

Don't know your whole situation, just saying what helped me. maybe you already talked to a priest about it.

It is a terrible thing to be in a situation like this, but it happens. As long as evil exists in this world, we should be able to defend ourselves and our loved ones.

Can't answer the marytr question.

7. DLL

Emma: I would say that God blessed you with that Dog to help you more than if you had any gun in hand. You were a victim. Your defense was a blessing and a grace from God. To me there is no such thing as passive suicide if you had no gun in hand to defend yourself. You shouldn't need any gun. That is living in good faith. That faith is in God or country or in a good faith in the good nature of people in general. If you had been killed by intruders than faith in general is a broken faith,in what the general sense of good law should provide for any one and that is the assurance that one can live their lives out in peace and without the threat of violence that could result in a homicidal murder by some perpetrator. Certainly elementary school kids should be able to go to school everyday without ever even imagining any threat on their lives while they are in class together. It should all be completely un imaginable. By dying in class because of some horrendous killer or at home by the same such,is a violation of good faith in God or the law or in the nature of people in general. That is a martyers death,the death of innocence,the innocent who is simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Again the mass murderer in my opinion who kills in mass then turns a gun on themselves,commiting suicide,dies in willing confirmation of their sins,that is my definition of eternal damnation,they damned themselves not God. The victims of the slaughter did not die in conformation of anything wrong,they were murdered,so they are maryters. What a shame,a crying shame that we even have to think of a gun in hand to protect our lives from being destroyed by someone so completely deranged. It is happening all too often in recent times. The issue of having gun is a valid one. As for me guns are useless as I do not want to pull the trigger on anyone to kill,anyone no matter what the circumstances. When it is a matter of defense God will help me because I am non violent I am also un predictable,I would under confrontation,be Divinely strengthened to protect myself and others,even without a gun in hand,so who knows,God provides!

8. Emma

KarlDVH....everything that Jesus spoke in the 30+yrs. that he walked in this world is not recorded in scripture. He may very well have said something to support self defense. We just don't know . Many writings were more than likely lost to time and the elements or destroyed. Look at the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls and the codices of the Nag Hammadi Library. That is one reason why we as Catholics don't follow the evangelical teachings of sola scriptura. I find it hard to believe that Jesus would have stood idly by watching children be gunned down. Would He have had to use a weapon to protect them? No. He would not. He is God!

9. KarlVDH

And by the way, T Rainey... while you're busy forming judgements about me, you may be interested to learn that I happen to be a combat veteran myself, and was wounded for this country in defense of the Constitution you mentioned and really don't have any need for a haughty lecture from you about guns or firing them, thanks.

10. KarlVDH

TRainey... so, no yoou can't answer the question I actually asked and replied with conjecture about what you think my beliefs are, and argued against points I never made and things I never said.
    So, what kind of gun would Jesus own, and who would he kill first?