A disturbing peek into the next war Comments

When we think of war we think about tanks, and bombs, and guns, and all the destruction and havoc they wreak. Death and flames come to mind as well as singular acts of bravery. However, the next war may look much different - how different? So different you might not think it was a war at all. Continue Reading

1. KarlVDH

The point in question, Jo, was whether we start wars. Clearly, in Iraq, we DID. And please, spare me the "he was a monster" line.
    You've got your facts completely wrong. AFGHANISTAN was the home of the Taliban and AlQaeda... NOT Iraq. In fact, they were BANNED from Iraq under Saddam, because he wouldn't have his peoples' loyalties divided. Bin Laden had a "kill on sight" order against him if he set foot in Iraq. Let me say this clearly: AlQaeda had NO presence in Iraq until AFTER we invaded, when an organization called "AlQaeda in Iraq" was created following Saddams deposition. They were predominantly Syrians. At NO TIME did AlQaeda EVER reside in Iraq prior to that, and the Taliban have NEVER beein in Iraq.
    As to Afghanistan, we went to destroy AlQaeda's presence there, NOT just to kill one man. Bin Laden's death is just, but it's NOT why we went to war at all. Bin Laden was a target, but not the ultimate goal, not ever, not uder any administration.
    I think you want to re-think this and try again... everything you stated is quite incorrect, and we ABSOLUTELY started the Iraq war.
    There was NO AlQaeda in Iraq prior to the invasion; they were BANNED by Saddam,
    Iraq had NO involvement in 9/11.
    Bin Laden was NOT welcome in Iraq.
    There was NEVER an Iraqi Taliban.
    These aren't "opinions." they are matters of historic fact.
    Would you like to take another stab at this?

2. JoAnn

Karl: I agreed with our Holy Father when he told Bush not to go into Iraq. However, I do understand why Bush did. That monster Saddam was killing his own people. Some Americans were killed also. Did you know that? We did NOT start that war. Iraq was the training ground for the Taliban and Al-Qaida. The "messiah" BO said he was going to bring our sons, daughters, "grandsons" home. That's what he promised before he was elected in 2008. Hmmm. We're still there. Also, since Bin Laden is dead, why aren't our men and women coming home from Afghanistan? My grandson did 2 tour of duties in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan. So don't think I'm not sympathetic to our military. I have a question for you. "If our country was being tyrannized as the Iraqis were, would you not want someone to help free us? Read the story of the "Good Samaritan" in the Bible. America is the "Good Samaritan" of the world. We are always there to help the oppressed, monetarily and militarily. Where's your Christianity? It was the same story for Viet Nam. We did NOT start that war. We were there to help. Same with the "Gulf War." We did not start that either. Kuwait asked for assistance from Bush, Sr. and like a "Good Samaritan", we did. It's true, "War is Hell" but there have been wars sine the beginning of time and there will be more wars until Jesus comes back, at which time, He will fight the "war of all wars." Man has free will and we are sinners. That's what causes wars. God bless.

3. KarlVDH

You stated we don't start wars. NO ONE can reasonably suggest that we didn't start the Iraq War.

4. JoAnn

Karl: "It runs pretty counter to your idea." And what might my idea be? Just want to make sure you know before we continue this. God bless.

5. KarlVDH

And, since CO decided not to pass on my reply to Blacksheep... Outkast Express, 642nd DASB, under 18th Airborne, Balad. Did over 200 convoy missions, was blown up. Purple Heart, Bronze Star, CAB. Welcome home, man.

6. KarlVDH

We didn't "start" a war in the Middle East, Jo. But we bloody well sure started one in Iraq. Are you sure this is a conversation you want to have? It runs pretty counter to your idea.
    We sure enough had no business in Viet Nam... unless you can offer some cogent reason we decided to go there.
    Let's be REALLY clear. Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9/11
    AlQaeda weren't even WELCOME in Saddam's Iraq.
    Osama Bin Laden was considered a "rewardable target" in Iraq.
    Saddam was only marginally "religious," and his government was completely and ENTIRELY secular. Under Saddam, both a christian and Jewish population got on pretty well. Not until our invasion and the collapse of his regime did they become targets.
    Saddam was, indeed, a beast... but NOT one in league with Jihadist terror.
    So, go ahead and tell me where I'm wrong on this. I was there.

7. JoAnn

KarlVDH: Thank you for your service. As a grandmother of a career military man who has been to Iraq twice and Afghanistan once "so far" (God knows where he will be deployed again) you tell me how we STARTED the war in Viet Nam. You tell me how we STARTED the war in the Middle East. Maybe I'm missing something here but It wasn't our military that flew into the WTC. It wasn't the US that bombed Pearl Harbor. Flying planes into the WTC started this current war, just like Pearl Harbor got us into WWII. Please tell me where I am wrong. God bless.

8. blacksheep09

KarlVDH
    Yes I am. 1st tour Ramadi july 04-aug 05 2BCT 2ID, 2nd tour Balad (FOB Paliwoda Not the resort town) sep 06-nov 07 3BCT 1CAV; You would have known me as a staff weeny in Ramadi and the Monster drinking PLTSGT (once accused of looking like I was at a bar b que by some engineers from 1st ID) for you AO Warhorse EOD support. I give Jesus all the credit for not losing one Soldier or Airman, all my peolple were in contact multiple times and aquitted themselves with distiction and honor.
    You don't fight for a notion you fight to survive and bring your buddies home. The Blacksheep demonstrated this hundreds of times and may God bless the youngsters who made my job easy.

Blacksheep09

9. KarlVDH

JO ANN... as an Iraq veteran, please don't sit there and tell me we "don't start wars." And don't tell that to any Viet Nam vets, either. God love ya, Jo... You're the one being naive here.

BLACKSHEEP- are you a veteran?

10. JoAnn

Barabbas: Don't be naive. It is to plan our defense against OUR annihilation. We don't start wars, we try to end them. Stop being so negative and start loving your country that God gave us. God bless.