Guest Opinion: A New Campaign Low. Presidential Character and the Lena Dunham Advertisement Comments

A man's character is the sum of his actions over time, so you intrinsically know a person of good character when you encounter one. Who could have had any doubt about Bl. Mother Theresa's character? One can "smell" good character, or perhaps I should say, one can smell bad character. Continue Reading

1. Spiritus Gladius

Wow. I'm amazed at the comments. Surely some liberal organization had a website linking to this article so that its patrons would come here and pollute the clean air with their nonsense. To the author of this article: don't mind them, this is a wonderfully written piece. True indeed.

2. Emma

@conservative....the lost liberals are reacting to the light, much as insects do. The word must have gotten out that their way of life aka relying on gov handouts is threatened. What they don't get is that the Catholic Church is made up of Catholic People who are also citizens and also have a vote. If they choose to indiscriminately copulate, as far as I know, no one is suggesting that they be locked up for it. However, those of us who also pay taxes should not be sucked dry to pay for it. Get a job (McDonals's is always hiring) and pay for it yourselves! Don't force the rest of us to work 60 hr weeks to survive while we're forced to pay for your "protection ". At least show enough self respect to pay for it yourselves. Quite a few youulng men posting here in support of women's rights, when what they're really saying is, "If the word gets out and young women are taught to believe that their bodies are their own, if young women begin to respect themselves and wake up and know that the choice to say no to them is a better option, then they themselves will be cornered into accepting a world where they will either have to behave respectfully and responsibly towards women, or "go without ". They don't want that, so they pretend to support women, when what truly motivates them is the fear of a lack of sex partners. There is nothing even remotely beneficial for a girl who feeds into that line of thought, nothing whatsoever and to treat it otherwise is degrading to all women! and it also proves that we are a nation inhabited by many who have fed into the "Peter Pan " propaganda. "I don't wanta grow up! I don't wanta grow up! " I already voted. I wanted to be the one to cancel out Sara Fluke's vote :) My first election. How exciting!

3. Ken

I choose my actions, but cannot choose the natural consequences of those actions. To enjoy good consequences, I must have the wisdom and self control to make choices that lead to good consequences. I hear much denigration of Mitt Romney's character, but I don't see the evidence for it in his personal life. Instead, I see just the opposite--a competent, honorable man with a wonderful family and a lengthy track record of remarkable success. These "fruits" are the natural consequences of his life's choices. I am very pleased to be able to vote for Mitt Romney--if enough people make that choice, I believe it will lead to very good consequences for our country.

4. Chris kennon

Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye. Matthew 7:1-6

Somehow the Curch's handling of child molestation comes to mind.

5. youkokun

To the unreligious who saw this article from Google or elsewhere: the articles on this site are meant primarily for Catholics with Catholic morality. To those claiming to be Catholic who fail to see why Catholics must strive to witness righteousness (yes, though we fail frequently, as humans tend to do) TO THE FLOCK, to other Catholics in the pews who are there for the Lord's guidance: accept the tenets of your faith, reconcile yourselves to them, or go be Episcopalian. There you may follow Christ in the way you see fit, but as a Catholic you gain insight on following Christ the way He sees fit. It is a priest's job to model the faith for the followers, acting in persona Christi.

I think the ad is disgusting and juvenile, like middle school boys huddled in the back of the bus ranting about whatever they can't speak about to their parents' faces. I also think it's extremely disrespectful to women. I'm 20; I think freedom is great and am looking forward to buying my first alcohol next year in accordance with the law, so I'm glad it's not the Prohibition Era: why do we have LAWS against drinking for minors, but not against sex? This ad reinforces the idea that our culture is sexualized and a woman's sexuality defines her freedom, and I resent the ad creators for pushing it on the public where kids are exposed to it. I can only hope the women who view it don't immediately think, "Oh, that's me!" It's 'funny', not meant to be taken seriously; of course it is, it's a gross caricature and stereotype.

I understand my reasoning isn't sound at all, but these are just my jumbled thoughts.

6. JoAnn

Matthew S. Lasee: Christ is God, therefore Perfect. You and I and the rest of humanity or imperfect, thus we are sinners. Most of us try to live righteous lives, but being human, we fall short. We try to be loving and forgiving like Christ but we will never be like Christ because we are imperfect. God bless.

7. Rose

Liberals are out in force here because they are Baracks "useful idiots." Someone must have put the word out to go to this website if you want to attack the Catholic Church. Barack has successfully played the division in the Church toward his favor. Catholics, and so-called Catholics, are a huge voting block. Barack has always had a strategy of divide and conquer. He put non practicing pretend Catholics in his administration and has held them up to the country as his example of the enlightened Catholics. And the fools granted free will by God misuse it because in their ignorance their feel entitled to immediate gratification in everything they do.
    Think about it. We have people in this country who are so misguided that they are voting for Barack because of the color of his skin, the freebies he gives away with our tax dollars, and his position on abortion and free contraception. We will reap what we sow and when folks finally wake up their first words will be "What did Bush do?"

8. Daniel

It is apparent this site has been infiltrated by one (using many different names) or many propagandists of the devil. We all know who they are, and so too does God. The support of anti-Christ obama by his devils attacking the witnesses of Jesus Christ should be obvious to all men of good will. May the end be near.

9. C. R. RABY

THE OFTEN USED STATEMENT CONCERNING "SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE"
    DOESN'T MEAN SEPERATION OF "STATE AND MORALS"

10. Bob

While anyone has a right to their opinions, I think for a tax-exempt organization to foster a politically biases assessment (this article) is in itself of questionable morality. I don't mind someone talking about issues and making a case for their views, but to label someone because of one item and blatantly disregard the totality of their character is in itself a show of a lack of character. The author is certainly biases (why I cannot say because I don't know him). Why does he not question the character of someone (Romney) who would walk a blind man into a door and lead a group of people to attack a poor kid for being a little different ... those are moral failings too and not just "pranks".