Hudson and Fournier: Catholic Countdown to Election 2012, Day 27. Debating the Obama Catholics Comments

Over the past few years, both of us have been thrust into debates with various Obama surrogates. Whether on radio, TV, or in print, the experience is disconcerting and would be dispiriting if it were not, at times, so humorous.  Continue Reading

1. mike robertson

You are incorrect Catholic democrats. The one you vote for is evil. He supports infanticide of babies even after they are born. He wants doctors to be free to finish the job if they fail to kill the baby girl or boy the first time while they are in their mother's womb. He thinks he knows more about what marriage is than God does. He would call sexual perversion, an abomination to God, "marriage".

It is hypocritical and arrogant for Catholic democrats to claim they would call no candidate evil. Any candidate who condoned Jim Crow would be called evil. I insist than infanticide and attacking the Church through legislative mandates (and causing the closure of Catholic institutions (which cannot take part in evil) are worse evils than Jim Crow. And I have never and would never support an avowed racist-like the "minister" of the evil man Catholic democrats are voting for.

2. John Lopes

Why did Catholic.org not fill the headlines with what Mitt Romney said yesterday? " I will not send any legislation to overturn Roe V Wade". This is not nothing new to the people connected to politics. He is a flip flopper and Lia_. He will do anything to win a vote. What really scares me about Mitt is his backers (Koch Brothers). They are the true definition of intrinsic evil. I am catholic, I vote for social programs that help the poor like (ST Vincent DePaul). We need social programs to talk to young adults and prevent unwanted pregnancies. We don't need federal government telling individuals what they can or cannot do to their bodies, let their faith guide them. God gives us free will. 80 percent of what I write never gets posted. I wonder why?

3. Almeras

I too was disappointed with Romney's comment that he did not intend to pursue anti-abortion legislation, but after I thought about it, I understand why he does not intend to pursue it.

- Romney has attacked Obama for focusing on pushing thru the health care agenda instead of focusing on the economy. I believe it is Romney's intention to take care of the economy first and foremost if elected.

- Romney has also stated that Obamacare needs to be repealed and replaced with a bipartisan plan. If Obamacare is repealed, then the mandates on abortion funding and morning after pill coverage..... will not be in effect.

Though this puts us back to where we have been for years, it at least stems the increase in abortions that the mandates would cause. Even with that said, I am hopeful that if elected Romney will try and tackle this issue eventually. Progress must be made, even if it is a little at a time.

4. Tom McGuire

In all the Apostolic Exhortations of Pope Benedict XVI that I have read, he has never advocated debates, but often encourages dialogue. Dialogue with people, cultures and religions. Dialogue means entering into encounters of love with the other willing to be changed. Debate is a given in the political arena; there has to be a winner and a loser. I assume these articles on the elections are directed to an audience convinced that Obama is evil, that the authors posses the truth, and that any reference to any good in the opposing side is not possible. My assumptions may be wrong but they come as a result of what I perceive as limitations the authors place on prudential judgments. Calling people "Obama Surrogates", to me is name calling, may help win a debate, but will not encourage dialogue.

5. DarthJ

Romney said if elected he has "no legislation with regards to abortion that I’m familiar with that would become part of my agenda."
    It's time to vote a true pro-lifer into office.
    Virgil Goode 2012

6. David Carlon

Intrinsic evil... the minion of the Prince of liars...

Republican presidential candidateMitt Romney said he doesn’t intend to pursue anti-abortion legislation if elected, a stance that threatens to alienate some core supporters just as he’s surging in national polls.