Caroline Kennedy's False Witness: Who Will Speak for the Church? Comments

There were a lot of bad speeches at the Democratic National Convention, but Caroline Kennedy's speech was the low point in many ways.  She got up on a national stage and used her professed Catholic faith to justify and actually demand the preservation of grave evils that the Church explicitly condemns.  She presented lies for the truth, and tried to justify it with her Catholic faith.  I've been hoping to hear some strongly-worded ... Continue Reading

1. Patricia Winter

Everything she said I agree with 100%! Why doesn't our clergy speak out on these so called Catholics who tell lies about our faith!!!. They are many Catholics who don't know their faith as they should and they will believe these people who speak unthuths.
    When I was a child our parish priest spoke boldly about the laws of the church and what was right and what was wrong. What happened to this kind of speaking? No wonder we have so many ignorant Catholic's today!

2. John Mainhart

Jennifer, I share your outrage with our so-called public catholic leaders who think they can justify intrinsic evil and still claim to be a catholic. But I don't share you criticism of the church leaders,on this matter, in recent years. Cardinal Doyle made it quite clear what catholic teaching is on these matters at the Democratic convention in his benediction. I sincerely don't know what else you can do in terms of speaking out. I think a lot of Catholics would rather not be informed in order to harden their consciences. I pray for them and for us.

3. Joan Albert

I am very disappointed in the cardinals, bishops and parish priest who do not speak up about what these self professed "Catholics" have said is the Church's teaching. As a mother, I try hard to show my sons what the Catholic Church teaches on these matters. It would be wonderful if the true representative of the Catholic Church lent a hand to show what is true and what is false teaching. In todays society it is hard to teach against what the internet and the television is teaching 24 hrs a day to our sons and daughter. It is easy for others to call us names and try to shame the Church calling us unloving and uncaring when the truth is the Church is all about loving and caring for our souls. I plead with all the clergy to take the step and join all the Catholic families who are trying to speak the truth to their children. We are determining right now what the Church will look like in the next 20 years.

4. Robert Burford

Henry the VIII was a Catholic and personnally I did not like the way he treated women. Public figures speak their own mind all the time. However just because you are Catholic does not mean you speak for the Catholic Church. I agree with the frustration of Jennifer Hartline but Caroline Kennedy and all the other figures listed are speaking only for themselves. It is a shame that their opinions are aired in the media. I believe that condemning them would only give them more credability. Our Bishops can not speak out because of the restrictions of Church and State. It is Freedom of Religion not from, but the legal structure does not recognize this as yet.However, if their priests refused to give them the sacraments, then there would be many in the pews that they would have to refuse also.The best approach is not to condemn them.However, I do believe that the church and all of us should urge these people who do not believe in the Churches teachings to join some other religion that picks and chooses their doctrine over discussions at the dinner table and deceides as Mr Biden that homosexual unions are marriage. These so called Catholic should, as the writer suggests, be urged to join some other faith and that is an appropriate response for our Church leaders.

5. James Leo Oliver

God bless you again and again for taking a stand on the truth regarding Catholic political leadership in America. If they won't respect Church leadership and authority, why should we respect theirs? They are not trustworthy.

6. Deacon Jay

Jennifer,

Couldn't agree more with what you said and how you said it!

7. Barb

Alas! The sheep go astray and the shepherd sleeps.
    Other than a few brave souls the Church has become as corrupt as our government.

8. abey

For they kept not their "First Estate" & to this, saying "Catholic" will not keep them from the Condemnation, like the Spirit of Jezebel works in & out of the Church, off the many found in the DNC, Caroline being no exception.

9. harry reyhing

God bless the late matriarch Rose Kennedy and Eunice and sargent Shriver.They were true catholics devout totally pro life and would have been Im sure disgusted with gay "marriage".MOst of the other Kennedys are sadly another story.Im disgusted with Caroline kennedys speech.But Im more disgusted with the cowardly weak bishops who allow this pro abortion pro gay marriage clan to receive Holy communion in a state of wonton mortal sin and rebellion.Shame on those bishops who would rather risk damning the souls of this unfortunate family then risk offending them.We as a church must stand up and reform it from the disaster of vatican 2

10. Dan

Has a single bishop corrected her yet? I don't mean this as a rhetorical question. I haven't heard of a single bishop addressing this publically, and I was hoping someone could point out that it has happened and I am simply uninformed. Otherwise, like the title of the article says, "Who will speak for the Church?"