Cardinal Dolan's Prayer at the Democratic National Convention Reflects True Christian Leadership Comments

This wonderful Cardinal rose to the call and invitation of history. He was faithful to his episcopal office once more. He did not let his detractors distract him from doing what was right. On the closing evening of the Democratic nominating convention he stepped up to that microphone and prayed a prayer that not only was heard in heaven but is still reverberating on earth. Continue Reading

1. Beth

As a Catholic, I am so pleased that Cardinal Dolan made the offer to pray at the Democratic Convention, and that his offer was (eventually) accepted. It is very important, in my view, that the Church avoid as much as possible being associated with one major party over the other. While we obviously align more closely with the Republican platform on the important issues of life and marriage, it is at best a conflicted and reluctant affiliation for many of us. I think Cardinal Dolan's presence at both conventions, with similar and consistent messages being conveyed to both gatherings, underscores the commitment of Catholics to speak and support our consciences - all the while being cognizant of the fact that neither party perfectly represents our beliefs. I applaud Cardinal Dolan for stepping into the lions' den and speaking words of truth with love. This lays the groundwork for authentic conversion, and demonstrates a great deal more courage than merely "preaching to the choir".

2. Harold Olsen

I was surprised that the Democrats invited Cardinal Dolan to their convention and give the benediction. The Democrats are decidedly anti-Christian and especially anti-Catholic. Obama being a Muslim ("I'm guided by my Muslim faith," he tolad George Stephaopolous on ABC last in an interview) I've surprised it was a Muslim who gave it.

3. Daniel

Michael, you might want to look up the definition of the word invoke. Nowhere did I see in its definition that one's voice must be used.

4. Kasoy

@SOS: The principle of separation of Church and State only means that the State cannot establish a state religion to the exclusion of all other religions. This is the type of government established in Islamic states like Iran. They outlaw all other religions except Islam so it is illegal for anyone to openly/publicly practice their religion in those countries. Rosaries, scapulars, and Bibles are confiscated at the entry points there. This principle was instituted in order to protect the right of all citizens to practice their religion freely without state intervention or unreasonable restriction.The Church or any of its members cannot violate this principle of separation of Church and State because the principle only mandates the State to take action (ie, not to establish a state religion). A cardinal praying at RNC or DNC is not violating the said principle. Other religious leaders like a rabbi and an imam could also have been invited at the RNC and DNC together with Cardinal Dolan.

5. michael

Dear Lyn...just to clarify...the work "invoke" means to call upon which suggests that the voice is used. The cardinal did hurriedly and discretely do the sign of the cross kind of like those who say grace at a restaurant not wanting to garner attention. As I stated, I think the cardinal did a pretty good job, far beyond my expectations. But the prayer demonstrates the problem of Amercianism that still, to this day, infects the clergy. We are afraid to be too Catholic afraid that it might offend.

6. Robert Burford

Where did Jesus minister on earth. He came to the sinners. He was not corrupted by them but preached His Gospel message. Cardinal Dolan has done the same thing at both conventions and in the dinner party he was so criticized earlier. I pray for the president but I will not vote for him. I pray for justice for Obama and George W and yes I pray for Romney that if he is elected he will be a good president who acts with justice and guided by the hand of God.

7. Ana Isabel

I thought that Cardinal Dolan gave an eloquent, powerful and amazing benediction. I must admit I was a bit nervous for him but what I heard brought me close to tears of joy and thankfulness. It was like sending a man into a den of vipers and seeing him come out victorious. Thank you Lord. I listen to him on catholic radio each week and am currently reading one of his books which has helped me so much on my path to walk with Christ. I know there are many naysayers but I am not one of them. I think he faces pitfalls and difficult situations and I see a man who boldly and and also faithfully carries a very heavy cross. So thank you Cardinal Dolan and may our Lord continue to bless you and guide you and may our Lady protect you always with her mantle.

8. Harry Reyhing

I redret to say I was among the catholic bloggers that were critical and a bit judgemental of the Cardinal's appearence at DNC.For that I am going to confession on monday.Praise Jesus this Cardinal totally stood up for the truth of the gospel and the catholic church.He managed not just to touch on one important moral issue but three.He spoke up for the unborn,he defended traditional marriage and he spoke out on religous liberty.Yes it may have been subtle but it was also unmistakable.I noticed he didnt get much applause.Im not surprised.Im very proud of the Cardinal to be politically incorrect and boldly stand for God and morality and catholic principle.May God bless him and I already called his office to totally commend him on his courage.

9. Judy Claar

Deacon Keith, Informative article. Thank you for printing the prayer of Cardinal Dolan. All Catholics should be Happy with Our Lord! I know i am. Blessings...

10. Kasoy

Cardinal Dolan is either a genius or divinely inspired by the Holy Spirit. Who could have imagined the impact of his prayers at both the RNC and esp at the DNC?! Will the Al Smith Dinner have the same impact! Let's pray to the Holy Spirit that He continue to inspire our dear cardinal and the rest of the USCCB in guiding our nation.