Paul Ryan and Joe Biden: A Tale of Two Catholics? Comments

Given Joe Biden's support for what his Church has identified as intrinsic evils - and thereby persistently against the common good - and given Paul Ryan's position consistent with the indisputable and unchangeable teachings of his Church on these issues, it seems that what is involved is not a "Tale of Two Catholics" but rather a tale of one Catholic and one . . . well, whatever we call him, it is something considerably less than ... Continue Reading

1. Diane

I pray Romney-Ryan win, then Biden be excommunicated. I believe it is the only wake up call that can get through to him if he really is a Catholic to begin with. How do we know he didn't lose his cradle Catholicism when very young but decided to put on the "face" of being Catholic in order to serve his real church, the democrat party. It's very common for those who don't really believe in God to pretend to but take on political ideology as their real religion. Looks to me as if this is what he has done as he is unable to follow the Church's teachings in this battle against intrinsic evil.

2. Rob

Brian, I'm not sure it matters. So long as we leave the door open to the evil, it will remain. We can't provide exceptions because when we do that means that the apparatus to provide them will be there as well. Nothing changes. We've had 40 years of that. It only get's worse.

3. Judy Claar

Bill Sr., Very Good Post! You addressed every age level and hit the nail on the head!
    Blessings...

4. Brian English

"The Romney-Ryan ticket does not oppose abortion in cases of rape and incest. Ryan has publicly assented to Romney's stance of supporting abortion in such instances - for the sake of the ticket."

So you think people should be conflicted about voting for a ticket that would allow 1% of the abortions, as opposed to the ticket that would allow 100%?

5. vance

@Bill Sr, great post, very well said. You made many great points.

6. ccs

@Kasoy - Amen!

@Bill Sr. - If you are addressing your comments to me, then you are missing the point I am making. The point is not whether or not the Romney-Ryan ticket is the lesser of two evils. The point is whether or not we as Catholics are even ALLOWED to vote for a ticket that advances even a single intrinsic evil, as the Romney-Ryan ticket does (i.e., abortion in cases of rape and incest). This site repeatedly tells us that we cannot vote for intrinsic evil. And I agree. But the site has done nothing to address the very serious moral question we are confronted with in this election - i.e., what to do when both tickets are dealing in matters that the Church defines as intrinsic evils.

The Priests for Life site tells us to choose the lesser-of-two-intrinsic-evils. That would be Romney-Ryan. But as I said earlier, Cardinal O'Connor's remarks were not framed as an official stance of the Church but as his own opinion. More recently, Archbishop Lori has simply said not to vote for intrinsic evil. His comment sounds as if he means across the board under all circumstances. Consequently, I have written to Archbishop Lori's office in order to find out if the Church has any sort of OFFICIAL guidance for the situation we find ourselves in - i.e., a situation in which both major parties offer tickets that support at least one intrinsic evil. I am looking for an official objective standard to apply to the current race. As far as I can tell so far, there isn't one.

This may be very simple to you, Bill. But it's not simple for me. For me, voting is an equation. Let x equal intrinsic evil. x=0 means that I can vote for the ticket in good conscience. As equations, though, neither of these tickets computes. And this is why I'm looking for official Church guidance. I want to hold a morally consistent and principled stance. I just don't know what that looks like in an election in which x=0 applies to neither ticket.

7. Adella

Paul Ryan is a true catholic, biden can't even recieve holy communion, also know woman has the right to kill what God has given her in her womb, Our Lady said yes and she had Jesus to die for our sins, how dare a woman to say its my body, yes its hers but Its Gods because he made her and gave her life, so now a woman has the right to kill her child, what if it would have being around m. There is more blood of babies flowing like water than the wars we have had.

8. Kasoy

This issue highlights the need for Catholic parents to raise morally consistent and coherent children so that the next generation of voters (our children and grandchildren) will have more Catholic political leaders to choose from in the future. In the short term, Catholics and other conservative Christians should form a group or political wing within the GOP (just like the Tea Party) that would advocate pro-life issues to support politicians who are truly pro-life like Santorum and Huckabee. It is really sad that many Catholic politicians are pressured to 'tow the line' (ala Pontius Pilate) to hold on to power and position. If we had a 3rd party who completely adhered to truly pro-life Catholic beliefs, I would instead vote for it. Sadly, we have only two choices (the 3rd choice: not to vote will only help the Dems) on Nov 6: voting for a pro-abortion/pro-gay marriage Dem party OR voting for a pro-life (though not as perfectly as true Catholics would like it to be), pro-true-marriage GOP party.

9. Rob

It's always about winning. Everything, and I mean everything always takes a back seat. It's exactly the reason nothing in this regard will change. And it's precisely the reason we have to stop looking to DC to solve the abortion issue. Only pure evangelization is going to change the hearts and minds of our culture.

10. Esther Marie Ventura Ferencz

WOW...there is nothing GOOD to say about Biden and his lack of Catholic Tenants...........hes been a disgrace to his fellow man, to the Catholic Church and mostly to The LORD OF LORDS...Jesus Christ. He has abandoned Our Lord and all his teachings. He is shameless. And I guess one day the Lord will handle Biden in his own way.

As to Ryan..he lives by the tenants of of the FAITH...He is in keeping w.the virtures and laws set forth by God and the Faith. I cannot find one thing regarding his faithfulness to the Church and God to be displaced. God SPEED Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney.