Paul Ryan and Joe Biden: A Tale of Two Catholics? Comments

Given Joe Biden's support for what his Church has identified as intrinsic evils - and thereby persistently against the common good - and given Paul Ryan's position consistent with the indisputable and unchangeable teachings of his Church on these issues, it seems that what is involved is not a "Tale of Two Catholics" but rather a tale of one Catholic and one . . . well, whatever we call him, it is something considerably less than ... Continue Reading

1. vance

JoAnn, I have to give you credit for getting Rob to admit that he is a die-hard Democrat Socialist. You have a talent for convincing some folks to show their cards. You must be out of breath. God bless.

2. Rob

The responsibility to protect act is a mixed bag. I think it's intentions are good as are the UN's. But sadly in practice just really aren't enforceable given a nation's sovereignty. I think there are circumstances where we'd like an action taken on another sovereign nation to be a unified effort of the world community, but then again, never cede our right or any other nation's right to defend themselves. Unfortunately because of sovereignty, sometimes UN actions aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

It's pretty obvious given our military posture that while we may be a party to this, we don't follow it. If we had Osama Bin Laden would still be alive as well as whole host of other terrorist who've we taken out with drone strikes etc.

3. JoAnn

Rob: Go to www.whitehouse.gov. God bless.

4. Rob

I haven't had an opportunity to look at the all of the items on JoAnn's list, but the last item is one of those nutty emails circulating....see snopes.com. Since this item is in the same list, it will be curious to see what is being said about the other items on the list.

JoAnn, I mean no disrespect, but I would really question your sources about some of this stuff. Whomever is generating these things is taking things way out of context to create conspiracies where they do not exist. They are grossly misleading and I think they are basically lies. Obama has enough we can discuss regarding his suitability for office, but buying into this kind of garbage makes us look desperate. We do not need to buy into lies to dislike the president.

5. Rob

JoAnn, could you point me to those speeches? As for there being a liberal desire to a single pay healthcare system, sure that is no secret. Just as much as it's no secret the GOP would like to privitize social security and basically dismantle all entitlement programs. But just because parties have desires does not make them reality. There is way too much money in healthcare for single payer to ever become a reality. Dreams are one thing, political realities are another.

So to be clear in your original claim, you were stating that if single payor became law (is not in the hopper) then you would lose your provider. This has nothing to do with the Affordable Health Care Act. Judy's husband would be well advised to take that into account. And I think you need to pay closer attention to the use of the term "reform." Are we using that term to denote changes that are made to make the system run more efficieintly, or are is that term merely defined as cutting costs. From you post I sensed some displeasure with having to purchase a supplemental coverage because the name brand drug was no longer covered. That is your small taste of what will be the norm in a Ryan plan. First, under any regime, plans always look for ways to cut costs and thus when the exclusivity of the patent runs it's course and the generics hit the market, in order to control costs, all plans will switch to the generic. This is no different than someone having to pay more for an out of network provider. Instead of these being isolated events, they will become the norm. The Ryan plan basically gets the government out of the healthcare business entirely. Folks haven't quite figured out how they will maintain regular medicare and this so called private plan. Ryan may want to get a memo out to the insurance folks for the lack of market there is right now. As for your premiums going up, not a whole lot I can say about that as everyone's premiums are going up. Costs are out of control and no one wants to talk about the resons why. CEO for United Healthcare was paid $110 million in 2011.

At the end of the day we have failed to address one critical factor in real reform and that is costs. No one seems willing to have the courage to take that on and in fact, when the government makes a move to cut costs, folks scream and yell. Case in point, the $714 billion "cut" to medicare. As you all know this was not a cut in benefits but a reduction in reimbursments paid. Now we also know that this could have the effect of cutting benefits as providers cease providing services, But we can't confuse the two issues. The government, just like a private insurance company can either cut coverage or rates it pays. And other than administrative efficiencies, there isn't a whole lot it can do.

Ryan's plan has the impact of cutting costs and then booking the permanenet savings or perhaps to fund the increase in military spending they haven't quite explained. Good or bad, Obama's "cut" goes to fund other elements of the ACA....healthcare. The arguement that whether or not seniors are the only popluation entitled to subsidized care is another topic. But since current seniors want nothing changed in current medicare, I think it's a resounding demand for the government to stay in the healthcare business.

6. Judy Claar

JoAnn, Thank you. I will look up your points of interest on Wed., when I am alone (husband free, Ha!) and have a few moments to myself. Always Prayers and Blessings...

7. JoAnn

Dear Friends: Do yourselves a favor and look up the following:

Real ID Act H.R. 418
    Responsibility to Protect Act
    National Defense Resources Preparedness Executive Order. Obama has taken the unprecedented step of claiming Martial Law powers for himself in an Executive Order he signed on Mar. 16, 2012. You all know what the implications of that is don't you?

JUDY: I talked to Father this morning. He is going to check the ReaL ID Act out and get back to me. God bless you all.

8. Judy Claar

Vance, Agreed! Sunday Blessings...

9. vance

A Tale of Two Catholics. I only see one, Paul Ryan. Joe Biden, submoron aside, this guy is as much of a Catholic as I am a Buddhist. Clint Eastwood said it right, 'Joe Biden is the intellectual mind of the Party of Death and Deceit. Paul Ryan has a life time record of a man of integrity who walked the straight and narrow. Ryan is not just heads and shoulders over Biden BUT knees and ankles over Biden. We Catholics need to unite and VOTE out Obama, Biden, and the Party of Death and Deceit this November.

10. JoAnn

Rob, Rob, Rob, you are going to have to start listening to Obama himself. When asked what was he going to do about Medicare because he wasn't addressing the problem of Medicare reform (he had to be asked 3 times because he didn't want to answer) finally when pressed, Obama said "Obamacare." and walked away. Then, in a speech, he said that he was wanting "Universal single pay" all along but had to get Obamacare passed first, because he was afraid it wouldn't get passed with universal pay in it.. He intends to take it up "after his re-election." Bills have not been presented yet. Even Harry Reid was lamenting over Obamacare not having universal pay. Kerry, Durbin, Pelosi, all the progressive dems. voiced that they wanted it. I know you are a working man supporting a family and don't have time to stay glued to the TV and news outlets but I have a lot of time on my hands and nothing much to do except this board, reading and exploring different news outlets on the web so it's easier for me to stay abreast of things. As far as my benefits being cut, I have not lost my personal doctor yet, but I will when Universal pay kicks in because thats what he told me and that's what SOCIALIZED MEDICAL CARE DOES. Read history. 2 of the medications that they had been covering before were dropped that I absolutely have to have. Their reason was, it was too expensive. I tried to take the generic for them but my system resisted so I have to have the actual drug. That meant that I had to get supplement coverage which added an extra premium to my expenses. Sooo, with my premium going up on Medicare, (yes, costs do go up periodically but it was quite a hike) and with the supplelment, it has gotten quite a bit higher for me. My co-pay has gone up when I see my doctor and some of my therapy with another doctor is no longer covered. "Ryan's plan to be clear achieves those savings in a different manner." That's called MEDICARE REFORM that everyone is DEMANDING. Reform changes things, sometimes for good, sometimes not. Time will tell. God bless.