Pope Benedict XVI Calls Lay Faithful to be Co-Responsible for the Church Comments

"Co-responsibility requires a change in mentality, particularly with regard to the role of the laity in the Church, who should be considered not as "collaborators" with the clergy, but as persons truly "co-responsible" for the being and activity of the Church. It is important, therefore, that a mature and committed laity be united, who are able to make their own specific contribution to the Church's mission." Continue Reading

1. Judy Claar

Excellent Post Vance! Keep them coming! Blessings

2. vance

The Holy Father is correct. We Catholics need to be active beyond attending Sunday Mass. We need to participate in teach catechism classes, support Pro-Life prayer vigils, Walks-For-Life, volunteer for parish fund raisers, participate in Retreats, participate in parish family activities, and many more. The Bishops and priests need to be the leaders. They cannot forfeit the role of leadership to the laity.

3. Judy Claar

Is this new? I don't think so. But Maybe it is for some. Anyway, our Church certainly needs a Wake up Call! Blessings...

4. rafaelmarie

WELL THEN, LET US BE CO-RESPONSIBLE IN PROTECTING THE UNBORN FROM UNTOLD MASSACRE THIS COMING ELECTION DAY, WHEN ALL THE CLERGY AND LAITY, TOGETHER AND UNITED, VOTE FOR PRO-LIFE CANDIDATES???

5. Terri Kimmel

Thanks for this article. I want to know what the Holy Father is teaching, but so often it's unaccessible to a busy mom. I appreciate the distillations.

6. Emmanuel Tio

September 2, 2012

His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI,

Laudetur Jesus Christus!

I hereby apologize for attacking the doctrine of hell in my book "His Forgiveness Reigns." I've mentioned in my book that hell doesn't exist after forgiveness and I hope that God, with the Roman Catholic Church members will forgive me.

I wrote evil things about the Roman Catholic Church specifically St. Francis De Sales Minor and Major Seminary in Lipa City, Philippnes and I hope for your forgiveness regarding this problem. I'd been punished by God plentifully because of my iniquities but I believe that God will not let death conquer a sinner's soul but rather 'turn back to Him and live."

Thank you so much for your articles and may God forgive me through His Holiness and all the members of the Holy, One, Apostolic and Catholic Church!

Thankfully yours in Christ,

Emmanuel Tio

7. Allison

I think this will be a wonderful way for the Church to grow. Taking more responsibility onto ourselves as lay ministers, and not being immature about what it means to be representing Christ should be crucial in being a lay minister. It should be a thought-provoking, intentional practice. NOT one that we get so used to, that we'll get brain and spirit freeze, along with the people who happen to be watching us--talk about a stumbling block for the Church! We should always pray before partaking of communion, that our efforts are taken the way God intends for them to; not that it will be taken the way WE intend for them to. God has a much more grand scope than we do, and He knows what direction the Church is headed in. Trust in God.

8. mikem

How about Lay Evangelization ministries? Lay Television Ministry? Lay health services in Jesus name and in conformity with the Church's teaching? Ok, they can't use the name "Catholic", but they can BE CATHOLIC! Are the bishops facilitating this kind of thing? NO.
    why not? ....that's not meant as a rhetorical question!

9. mikem

In Philly the cardinal had the laity take over the schools. I think this really needs clearly reported on. It is really a new model for carrying forward ALL FORMS OF MINISTRY in answer to the Pope's call. Other bishops just don't get it. All they do is ask for money or try to plug you into some dysfunctional existing system. I'm idle, and NO ONE is asking me to do anything. in the vineyard. The pastors just want you to be a tool for them to use, there's none of this mentality the Pope is talking about shared responsibility....hasn't gotten to the shores of this dead liberal country. except for Philadelphia. Let's face it the US church doesn't listen to Rome, de facto schism, cut off from the root, dead on the vine.

10. Paul-Emile Leray

Very dynamic, inspiring, encouraging! Thank you!
    Paul-Emile Leray