Clarifying the Facts: NFP Teacher Responds to Congressman Todd Akin Comments

While I do not wish to jump into the political fray over whether or not Senator Akin should stay or go, I think it is important to clarify the point he was trying to make.  Rape is rape, there is nothing to debate there, but the female body does indeed have the ability, when under duress, to delay ovulation. Continue Reading

1. JoAnn

Rob: We need to get the Rino facists out of Washington. How many times do I have to say that. The true conservatives in the GOP ARE Pro-life. Rino's are progressives and care more about themselves. I said all along that Romney was a progressive. I'm surprised he made such a wise choice in Paul Ryan. And again, we have to hold our noses when we vote. The only reason the Rino's jumped on Akin's words is because he isn't one of them and they are trying to force him out. "They don't need another "extreme conservative" in Washington." And to conservative Missourians, have you all had lobotomies? You elect Akin as your candidate to run against McCaskill, and you are going to let the Rino establishment undermine you again? I don't live in Missouri but the rest of this country has just as much interest in what you do in November too. If you allow Obama's "clone" Clair McCaskill to get re-elected, you deserve what you get! And you can rest assured that the rest of the country will call you morons. Show-me state, do we have to show you how to get some courage. God bless.

2. Rob

This issue isn't so much about what Akin said or thought he was saying. The issue at hand is that it has exposed a party who is not as pro-life as they purport to be. (JoAnn, you left out the soon-to-be nominee for the GOP who was also calling for Akin to drop out.) Why? Because his true prolife stance is not the stance of the party. Believe it or not, I actually believe the democrats have more credibility in this area. I know exactly what they stand for. They support abortion and if you had any doubts tune into the abortion love fest aka the Deomocratic National Convention and you'll be convinced. The GOP says they are pro-life, but Akin has only exposed the fact that the emperor has no clothes. Dems....what you see is what you get.....GOP, we'll not exactly. Otherwise they wouldn't be trying to run this guy out of town. Ryan has already punted on this and Romney will try to ride the fence on this one.

All I heard this morning was the GOP guys say Obama doesn't want to talk about his record because it's a record of failure. It's precisely why the GOP doesn't want to talk about abortion.

If the GOP platform is "a little abortion is ok," then that is all that's needed to ensure the status quo remains, as it has for 40 years.

3. Juneau Alaska

Two things here: 1. The plural of anecdote is not data. 2. 1995 Journal of Human Nature by author Gotschall provides evidence that rape more often leads to conception.

I wish I had the opportunity not to vote for Akin.

Mike

4. JoAnn

Ann: Pick up some medical journals from the 70's and learn something. As I said, two of my best friends were nurses and the female shut down was taught to them. No one is saying it is true today. That's what Akin was talking about. He just neglected to get more modern info on the matter. Chill out. Is statutory rape which is consensual rape, rape? God bless.

5. Ann

Really people, rape is rape and abortion is abortion. And as far as stress goes , it can cause all sorts of ailments and psychological conditions, but I doubt it really has much to do in the case of a raped woman. Seems to me it is Our Lord God that allows this to occur conception that is (for reasons we may not know or understand). So stop all the nonsense " of a woman being able to shut that whole thing down. It couldn't be more offensive. So Stop.

6. JoAnn

Eddie: You are right but the worst sin in all of this is, Akin will probably have to drop out of politics altogether. Everyone has done such a hatchet job on him that it will be a miracle if he recovers from this. I hope the media and everyone else who did this to him is proud of themselves. Nothing like ruining a good, christian and honorable man's life for their glory. May God have mercy on their souls. Politics is so filthy. Our founding fathers are looking down on us with disgust. If honor, integrity, love and virtue doesn't return, this country is lost. God bless.

7. Maggie

First, Tara, thank you for the information about the women's body and how it works.
    Second, if you are talking about, "the poor will have to bear their children" as meaning that the poor who are raped will have to bear their children, I'd like to add my experience.
    My husband and I are unable to conceive children. When we looked at the adoption process, we were told that it was very unlikely that we would be able to adopt since most pregnant women aborted their babies instead of looking at adoption. At that time (1992), there were 8 million couples waiting on adoption lists with an adoption agency, there were 2 million more couples that were trying to adopt privately through lawyers or doctors, and there were another 5 million couples that wanted to adopt but didn't qualify to get on the adoption list. That's 15 million couples wanting to adopt. I don't think that there are 15 million babies conceived in rape every year. So there would be plenty of married couples that would be able to care for the children born after being conceived in rape.
    I thank God everyday for the two birth mothers of my children. They gave my children a birthday and then gave them to us to raise. And yes, one was conceived in rape and that one is the very precious to me.

8. MaryAnne

GW, maybe, just maybe, in your worst case scenario, Social Services would be forced to make it easier for people to adopt. Based on your posts, you have absolutely no idea how hard it is to adopt a child in this country. I know many families that would be more than happy to adopt, but social services makes it very difficult. Probably just as difficult as feeding the homeless in Philadelphia (now illegal, by the way).

9. Eddie

Trying to explain what Akin meant is fine but the problem is that he is now a heavily damaged candidate and a drag on other pro-life candidates. His comments are going to be tied around the neck of Romney and especially Ryan. If you want to forgive him that's great but his candidacy is not worth the cost in other important races.

10. Tim Nelson

GW-- So only dumb women concieve out of wedlock?