We Applaud the Republican Platform: No 'Abortion Rights', Only a Right to Life Comments

The language of the Republican Platform is refreshingly clear: "Faithful to the 'self-evident' truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment's protections apply to unborn children." Continue Reading

1. GW

So apparently, from what I’m reading in the responses to my comments, I’m apparently using an argument for the poor as a “red herring” to cause fear among voters. I’m also told that “Margaret Sanger, Charles Darwin, Freidrich Neitzsche” are giving me a “standing ovation from hell.” And my choice is “between Obama, a communist who hates this country or Romney, an American, who loves this country and wants to put people back to work.”

I grew up in a large Irish Catholic family, and I’m experienced with “colorful,” if not plain crazy aunts and uncles. So I’m not going to respond to JoAnn and Vance, other than to repeat what I told Aunt Jean and Uncle Dick so many times over so many years: you two…I just love you. (Charles Darwin?)

But I have to respond to the 15 year old who feels that I’m silly and stupid:

You need to re-read what I have written. I’m pro-life. I want to see an end to abortion. I have to speak up, however, because at the same time I’m reading about how Republicans will finally outlaw abortion, I’m also reading about simultaneous efforts by the GOP to cut and eliminate programs for the poor (efforts which both Pope John Paul II and Mother Teresa deplored).

There’s nothing in my comments about birth control, much less controlling “the population of ‘poor people’ with birth control.” There’s also nothing in my comments about supporting Obama or the Democrats. And, I’m not going to comment on the spending figures you’ve quoted. That’s a completely different argument and for a completely different forum.

Keep re-reading…my comment about Obama and Biden was preceded by another about Paul Ryan.

I’m old enough to be your grandfather, and with that in mind as I read your comments, it occurred to me that I’m sure your parents are proud, and they should be. But I also need to make this clear:

Living as Christ desired for us to live is not easy. You’re a young person – obviously very intelligent, but young. As you grow, you’re going to see that dismissing an entire party – in this case, the Democrats – as evil is wrong. Campaigning against gay marriage and adoption should be done with care. Adopting the rhetoric of hard-core right- (or left-)wingers carries consequences with it, sometimes for those who are very close to you.

The Republicans have taken Catholic money for 40 years to “fight abortion,” and after billions and billions of dollars, little has been done to actually ban abortion, and nothing has been done to make provision to plan for and deal with the consequences of actually banning abortion.

Catholics have listened to and adopted Republican thought to such an extent that our people are actively backing and voting for evangelical Christians and (in this case) Mormons, while those same Christians and Mormons are campaigning to convert our people to their faith. We need to be involved, but we are the conscience of our nation. We should not fall in lockstep with politicians.

We need to remember those people with whom Christ associated during his time on Earth. Tax collectors, poor fishermen, and a prostitute. We also need to remember those whom Christ held in such scorn: hypocrites.

One last thing: please do us both a favor and don't bother responding with something about there being “no gray areas” and “the difference between right and wrong.” Remember my last line: think before you vote. You've got plenty of time. And good luck to you.

2. JoAnn

William Clements: Just curious. Where did you get your historical knowledge about our founding fathers and their faith? God bless.

3. ccs

Here's the problem: Romney is not bound to follow the platform, and Romney supports abortion in instances of rape. In fact, a Romney campaign spokesperson stated in writing a couple of days ago that the Romney-Ryan ticket supports such abortions. Ryan has said nothing at all since then to distance himself from that stance - and it is a stance that is indefensible from a Catholic standpoint. The abortion plank in the platform is a paper tiger. It means nothing, since Romney does not support it and Ryan appears willing to play along with Romney's views. The Republican party, btw, is NOT the only party that opposes abortion in its party platform. Here is the "Sanctity of Life" plank in the Constitution Party platform: http://www.constitutionparty.com/party_platform.php#Sancity%20of%20Life

4. JeanCatherine

GW

Even if you dont believe in anything ask yourself this pondering question what was life life prior to 1973 even with those small incidents of abortion done illegally. Ask yourself if life was respected or not and if the world was a little safer and better barring civil rights and all that in the south in the 1960's. Im not just talking about the coming rights of women that was necessary but not on par with snuffing out life. The Suffragettes like Susan B. Anthony and others never condoned this one thing----abortion. So how come it got so terribly important from 1973 onward? Good questions and Im sure the answers are out there. Why are we so ashamed of life all of sudden after 1973? Something about going after the most vulnerable from the womb to the tomb isnt quite right wouldnt you say. What makes any of us think were more important than the poor pre-born who never got anyone to stand for he or she????
    Even if you dont believe in any God there has to be a good reasoning behind the thinking I propose above? God Bless everyone even those who dont believe.

5. JeanCatherine

Ernie

If you get the chance go over to Priests for Life and do some research by plugging in the search at the top right and corner and put in "In cases of Rape" and see what comes up and read the articles. God Bless and I hope you find your answer there on how to respond to everybody. Anyone else who has questions please go over there and see their sight. Peace.

6. Ernie

How do you respond to the statement run across the news last week made on behalf of Romney and Ryan that both would not oppose abortion in cases of rape?

7. Rob

nikorb, I like your post, but I think there is one fundemental difference between the abortion issue in our country and Nazi Germany. Hitler rounded people up against their will at gun point. People were not running to the concentration camps. People of their own free will in this society are seeking abortion. Hitler was sick and convinced a lot of people in his country to go along with him. Abortion has been on the books for quite awhile and remains because a large percentage of this population wants it. I wish our government wasn't promoting it, but Planned Parenthood is making all their money at gun point.

Our society is sick and if there were not so many wanting these things, they would not be.

8. Ben (in California)

I am an independent; I have been a member of both parties at different points in my civic life, but I find both severely violate Catholic morals.

Curious that the GOP would take such a strident and official stance against abortion, considering that their politicians and platforms call for virtual removal of environmental protections, severe cuts in the safety net for our most vulnerable citizens, and strict opposition to affordable health care, especially for those with pre-existing conditions. How are those actions in any way "Pro-Life"?

They aren't. Why does the Republican Party purport to fight for the sacred "Right to Life" when their environmental and economic policies, in fact, assault the right to life for those of us who are alive? Doesn't add up, because it is not a consistent philosophy.

Added note: abortion is strictly evil, and I do, nonetheless, applaud the platform change. However, abortion is a medical procedure, and they demand Big Government intervention to permanently halt abortions. Given this fresh policy direction by the GOP platform committee, perhaps it is now time for the GOP to also call for government intervention to prevent the deaths of (out-of-the-womb) living people by otherwise curable diseases? Consistent conservatism, right?

9. vance

Rob, here's some news that will make you jump up and down with joy. Latest news reveals that your Party of Death is hosting a muslim Jumah at the Death Party Convention. This is to include 20,000 muslims who will discuss Islamophobia. Gee, I wonder if your Party of Death will discuss Christianphobia? NOT!

10. Diane

GW- read the article. The Republican party is the only party that does not have abortion rights as a plank in the party platform. The Democrats do. Also the Democrat party has this as a plank-Marriage is between two adults. That sllows for same-sex marriage. Your argument for the "poor" is a red herring people like you use to cause fear among the voters. Not buying. As Pope John II and Mother Teresa said,"The poorest of the poor are the unborn". You throw them under the bus. There is a river of blood flowing from the abortuaries in this country(50 million plus) and we will not be diverted by the red herrings of people like you. Desperately hanging onto the Democrat party and true morality at the same time is an impossibility.