Bishop Robert Morlino Affirms Paul Ryan's Effort to Apply Catholic Social Teaching Comments

"Vice Presidential Candidate Ryan is aware of Catholic Social Teaching and is very careful to fashion and form his conclusions in accord with the principles mentioned above. Of that I have no doubt.A Catholic conscience can never take exception to the prohibition of actions which are intrinsically evil. Nor may a conscience well-formed by reason or the Catholic faith ever choose to vote for someone who clearly, consistently, persistently ... Continue Reading

1. David

While Ryan may attempt to apply Catholic Social Teaching to his economic policies, Catholics are free to disagree with and criticize him when his attempts fall too close to economic materialism which embraces a utilitarian view of the worker. Unfortunately, along with the Compendium of Catholic Social Doctrine, Ryan appears to admire and have been heavily influenced by Rand and Mises whose views stand in opposition to Catholic Social Teaching.

Ryan may be a better choice than his opposition, but until he repudiates economic positions by those clearly opposed to the Church's teaching, he remains open to just criticism for it. You can apply one or the other - the conclusions of Natural Law and the Doctrine of the Faith OR the modernist, materialistic, and utilitarian views of Rand, Mises, and those who share their views - not both.

Good Catholics may and must call on him to make that choice, rather than just voting for him because he is Catholic and "attempts" to apply Church teaching. As long as he blends Church teaching with incompatible views from the likes of Rand and Mises, he will rightly and justly be criticized for it.

2. Carlos

I can see clearly the difference between real Catholic formation and worldly formation with Catholic teachings taken out of context. And I see also intrinsic evil! To see it we need real Catholic formation, not formation rooted in this temporal world. Unfortunately most people do not read the lives of the saints. If they did they would be surprised and be able to form their reason and live the authentic Catholic Faith. Faith and Reason are One and the same. It is clear to me that Obama is a product of intrisically evil formation of human reason. I pray for him daily, but I do not support his evil agenda. Being Catholic is never easy in this world that gives in so easily to the confusion of moral relativism! Pray for me to always discern in accordance to the Church, who is Christ Himself here on earth! I would never vote for an intrinsically evil agenda. It is not manna, but the bread of Life that we need in our society. And we are responsible to bring it to this world!!!!

3. bri

I cannot support two men who are so entrenched in greed-based agendas that mock our mandate to care for the poor. I will gladly support President Obama. If the choice were between him and two actually Godly men who were committed to civil rights and social justice, I would perhaps vote against the President, but that choice is not available to me. Given that, I cannot vote otherwise than with the man who seems to have the greatest heart for the poor and marginalized, as Jesus asks us to do, and that is President Obama. Sorry, Rome.

4. CJ

I see the article discussed relativism. I want to ask how the Church feels about "objectivism" which is the system supported by the bitter Russian athiest Ayn Rand, in which she believed that the MORAL purpose of one's life is the pursuit of one's own happiness or rational self-interests. This is important BECAUSE 3 years ago Paul Ryan said in a TAPED VIDEO that he absolutely based his morals and philosophy on the writings of Ayn Rand. Ayn Rand HATED medicare and social security, yet she used them in her liftime because she was poor. In other words...to each his OWN and those more prosporous should not be obligated to do good DEEDS for the poor. Of course, Paul Ryan MAGICALLY changed his postition on this when he started to run for Vice President of the ENTIRE United States..not just the rich. He made a SECOND video to SHOW he had changed his position on this. Ryan was pretty adament in the FIRST video, so I tend to think he would govern in his OWN self-interests as opposed to the good of EVERY citizen.

5. Bill Sr.

Tom,
    I, like you, love, live, and cherish my Catholic faith but I am not ready to surrender it to any tyrannical regime that seeks to build its foundation on the ashes of American exceptionalism. You have a right to be upset with people who self indulge in the excesses which capitalism affords them but do not let your obvious anger cloud your vision to distinguish the source of the problem. The system offers opportunity and freedom just as our faith. We are in fact individuals within both making choices and suffering or enjoying the consequences.
    I am not sure how Paul Ryan would explain the deep thoughts of Ayn Rand but I think she was taking about the same thing which made me search for identity years ago.
    As a young man with growing children, a loving wife, a good job, and a happy home I often wondered how the life I was living could be any better. Pleased with my life and situation, still I wondered how it came to be and was it of any consequence or value to the world.
    I had never stopped to ask the most important question a human needs an answer for. It seemed important to know why I was alive and in this world of ours. Just how did I arrive at where I was and what was the meaning of it all?
    As I explored all of this in my mind several key questions which I thought every person of faith ought to be asking themselves became clear to me. It went something like this.
    What am I? Am I any different on earth than the mountains, birds, or the trees? Who am I? Am I really a unique individual personage or just another twig on a family tree? Where am I? This earth, are we the only planet in the universe with all these beautiful things and living creatures? What is my reason to be here? Why here, why now, and for what obvious purpose?
    These combined to lead to THE most important one which really is the touchstone of all for us to become fully aware of our personal existence. Did I actually have need to be? It was an attempt to identify myself to myself.
    My search for truthful answers was like an artist painting a mural or a weaver producing a pattern on cloth. It would take both time and patience making sure each stroke of the brush or interweaving of the thread was shaded and fit into place properly. Yet when completed the results, through both reason and faith, became a virtual treasure, almost a living testimonial to the truth I was seeking to be revealed.
    It could be said that a search to identify oneself and his purpose for being is entirely unnecessary. However, I believe as you work to put all the pieces together the value of each small revelation of true understanding becomes more evident and adds its own glow to the light that is truth.
    Since we are all created in the image and likeness of our Father God then why should we not consciously try to find that likeness within and/or explore its realm in an effort to validate our heavenly heritage? If more of us would seriously take the time to seek this reality I believe the results could end most peoples need for self esteem. Peace to You.

6. Rob

Just curious JoAnn, what concerns were alliviated?

7. Tom McGuire

Paul Ryan said recently that the fight is between individualism and communitarianism. He also requires people who work for him to read Ayn Rand. I want him to explain his interpretation of these quotes from Ayn Rand. I find them to be serious challenges to Catholic Social Doctrine.

Ayn Rand: "Basic social principle of Objectivist ethics: just as life is an end in itself, so every living human being is an end in himself, not the means to the ends or the welfare of others--and,therefore, that man must live for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself. To live for his own sake means that the achievement of his own happiness is man's highest moral purpose."

"Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values. If a man values productive work, his happiness is the measure of his success in the service of his life. But if a man values destruction, like a sadist-- or self-torture, like a masochist--or life beyond the grave, like a mystic--or mindless "kicks", like the driver of a horrid car --alleged happiness is the measure of success in the service of his own destruction."

The good Bishop also left out the excesses of capitalism that do great harm to the human person. I assume he is anti socialism but not anti the excesses of capitalism.

Some think that there are no faithful Catholics in good standing with the Church who will vote for President Obama. I am one of those good Catholics who will vote for President Obama and encourage everyone I know to do the same.

8. JoAnn

Bulbajer: Hey, my friend. I was wondering where you've been. If you are interested, go to paulryan.com and scroll to "A Roadmap for America's Future." Very informative. You will get a better idea of what Ryan's bill is all about. It relieved a lot of my concerns. God bless.

9. Robert

Dear WR,

Your comments resonate however, I pray that you will be able to get past these differences and come back to the one true faith. If you can follow the teachings of our Lord and skip past your local priest, bishop, to Pope Benedict, I believe you can find true faith. There are several conservatives that feel similar however, we do what we can to change the culture of some parishes from within and not from the outside. Changing your church is not the same as changing political parties. I pray that you will come back to the faith and fight the good fight from within.

10. Kasoy

We are being offered two ways to show our preferential option for the poor. One option is a government-run "charity" where people (taxpayers) are forced by law to donate so government can take care of the poor, sick and the elderly. The other option is to put more responsibility on the individuals, their families, and their immediate communities to voluntarily help the poor, sick and the elderly. Remembering that God loves a cheerful giver, I would prefer the 2nd option which was the traditional system before the idea of a public social security system came. The 2nd option draws down God's blessings on us since we voluntarily donate to help others. From the economic point of view, the 2nd option maximizes the use of scarce resources (eg, funds) and less costly since it operates on a non-profit basis. Government is always a wasteful dispenser of taxpayers money. This is the reason why government should be limited only to those activities that cannot be done at the lower levels.