Obamacare Begins Child Sterilization, Without Parental Consent Comments

With back-to-school season in full swing across the nation, parents in Oregon have more to worry about than shopping for sweaters and purchasing pencils. In the state of Oregon, the Obamacare mandate, which went into effect on August 1, 2012, provides free sterilizations to girls as young as fifteen. Now, your daughter, your high school freshman, can choose, without your consent, to be permanently sterilized. Continue Reading

1. Beth

What can be decided at the family level should not be decided upon by the government.

^^^ I hope that statement also applies to those who decide to marry their committed, same sex partner. Oh wait, the gov't is trying to decide if that is ok, too.

Sterilization is an evil that has no place in healthcare, ever.

^^^^ Love the generalizations. You do know that sometimes sterilization is life-saving, not only for the adults who choose to undergo the procedure, but also for any future kids who might be born to someone who doesn't want them?

I had my tubes tied after my 2nd child with zero regrets. Had I become pregnant with a 3rd I would have strongly considered an abortion. thankfully my Catholic hospital "decided for me" that I was "approved" for my tubal (you know, because I would have changed hospitals anyway had they thought they were able to make that choice for me).

While I don't think a big decision should be made so young, some people DO know they don't want kids ever. They should be allowed to choose that for themselves (preferably with parental involvement).

2. Cheryl Schalk

We hear about the "slippery slope" of certain policies and ideas, which sound good at first but then become intrusive. In my opinion "allowing" teens and young adults to sterilize themselves will definitely become a policy which requires that they be sterilized, especially in certain socio-economic groups. It was Margaret Sanger who said that her goal was to get rid of the excess population, meaning the poor, new immigrants, and minorities. Hitler got his ideas of sterilization, eugenics and genocide ideas from Margaret Sanger, the founder of Planned Parenthood. In my opinion, Planned Parenthood needs to be defunded at every level of government with a goal to put it out of business.

3. Mom_of_5

I am saddened that the federal and local governments are encouraging a wedge between children and their parents. It concerns me that my children can go to school and be "informed" and encouraged to solicite advise from strangers who do not have their best interests at heart...and call it freedom. I'm alarmed that they can be led to a clinic and receive counseling that paints me, their parent, as an individual who is an obstacle to their free will. I love my children. I want the best for them. Why are we as parents slated as the ones to deceive. We are the ones who have been there, and will continue to be there, long after any procedure is finished...sometimes not knowing the pain and guilt our children are bearing alone.

I believe in family, community, volunteering, stewardship, giving back and paying forward. I believe in accountability and taking responsiblity for one's actions, good or bad.

I am doing everything I can to encourage my children to come to me with ANYTHING that they are struggling with, so we can talk it through, examine the facts, and explore the consequences.

We all have free will. Our country allows us free choice. I am doing my best to remind my children that we are only free to live with the consequences of our choices.

This type of legislature undermines that work I am doing as a parent.

4. Matthew

I cannot disagree with this enough. Are we now in a world where you can determine fertility --quite literally the birthright of humankind--at only 15?

5. Emdee

I would expect this website to retract this false article since it states this started in August of 2012 because of Obamacare but if you look at the form itself, it was REVISED in July of 2011 which means it is even older than July 2011.

Why wouldn't a religious website care about truth?

6. Dargent

If you had criticized the State of Oregon for enacting such a law, I would have stood with you.

But instead the article dishonestly misleads the careless reader into believing that this practice has been created and enacted by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act enacted by the U.S. Congress and signed into law by the President, which is not true.

If Oregon had this law on their books before the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act was passed, then what has changed? And how can the Federal Government be criticized for whatever laws Oregon citizens have on their books? I fail to see the connection. If Oregon citizens don't like their own laws, they are the only ones that can change them. You might instead have encouraged Oregon voters to revoke this law. That would have been more intellectually honest.

I am disappointed in you.

7. Jenn

This article is so grossly misleading. Obama's health plan did not herald in some kind of sinister plan to sterilize children. The problem is with Oregon's STATE laws that allows for any medical procedure without parental consent at those ages. And those laws have been in effect for years and years, long before Obama's term or the (often life-saving!) medical plan he drafted was passed into law. Moreover, the lack of common sense in this article is appalling. How many girls do you know who would go SEEK OUT a sterilization? The odds that this would occur anyway are slim, not only because girls wouldn't want this procedure but also because DOCTORS WOULDN'T GIVE IT. For almost any woman (in her twenties, thirties, forties, etc.) who seeks tubal litigation or similar, the doctor makes sure there is a very good, valid reason. Sterilization is not taken lightly. Just because services such as this can now be provided for "free," DOES NOT mean that they WILL be utilized, or that they will be provided injudiciously. That religious folk take issue with a healthcare plan that offers such tremendous good to people who could otherwise never afford health services, labeling it as "evil," makes me very, very sad and angry. Of course most parents would want their son or daughter to go out and get sterilized. But Obama's healthcare plan is in no way recommending or endorsing such! My goodness. And people, if you don't want your kids to go out and do crazy things without your consent, why don't you raise them in such a way that they will be unlikely to do so? I completely, wholeheartedly disagree with the views expressed in this article and really hope that religious people are educating themselves on all the facts and not subscribing to such outlandish views, though I doubt it. Healthcare for the poor. That's what Catholics should be striving for, yes? I would hope to God so.

8. Rebecca

I am astounded when liberal nod their heads like sheep and pretend Jesus Christ, who spoke about slothfullness, and commended even the ant for working diligently, and whobtold us that " if a man will not work,neither shall he eat" -supposedly told us it is good to pillage the man who works and steal from him in order to feed the welfare crowd? Liberals cherry pick from scriptures they heard from politicians, scriptures that are either so grotesquely misinterpreted or intentionally invented they cannot resemble the heart of Christ. How is it that my God, who called me to take care of my own detests me so much that He would pillage my earnes income to give to some random person who exemplified laziness, selfishness, idleness, gluttony, and slothfull lifestyles? That would mean God could not be trusted to go against his own words! Who is my government to decide what I might or might not have left to fund others with? Who is Obama to twist the words of God so as to justify theft and debauchery, or hideous behaviors such as sterilization of young girls? If a person, liberal or not, cannot see that this man is diameteically opposed to the words of the Most High God, they might need concern for their own eternity. There has never been a more vile leader in this country. The only ones woelrse in the world are imfamous for some of the same heinous sins. Obamacare though in its infancy has already cost our special needs family more than a36% increase in premiums, not to mention less items covered by the policy, less items covered by our own money in the medical savings plan account, and special supplements we can't afford due to the increases. Its ALREADY harming the average family! So no, don't sugar coat the bovine effluent and pretend Obama has done any good at all. Because at the end of the day the very bedrock of society, those whose ancestors and family have shed blood to sustain our freedoms, those folks hear the sound of their breaking back. We look around to see Obama standing on it.

9. Lucy

Kathleen Sebelius, your words and deeds are evil!! I am ashamed the people of Kansas elected you governor.

10. Kate

This article is very misleading and gives Christians a bad name. In your effort to make Obamacare look bad and feed the hatred people have for our leader you've made yourself look incompetent. This article isn't about Obamacare, it's about Oregon's STATE laws. The people to blame for this madness are the Oregon state legislators, NOT Obama. Quit with the mud slinging and start giving people a reason to vote FOR Romney, not against Obama.