Nigerian Woman Writes to Melinda Gates: We Don't Need Your Contraception Comments

I see this $4.6 billion buying us misery. I see it buying us unfaithful husbands. I see it buying us streets devoid of the innocent chatter of children. I see it buying us disease and untimely death. I see it buying us a retirement without the tender loving care of our children.  Please Melinda, listen to the heart-felt cry of an African woman and mercifully channel your funds to pay for what we REALLY need. Continue Reading

1. Beth

I just wanted to add to my previous comment a personal note on postpartum depression. I think it is interesting that the author of this letter mentioned the absence of postpartum depression in her society, and that is a wonderful thing for the mothers and children of her country. A few of the comments on this article, though, seem to imply that the reason Western women sometimes suffer from postpartum depression is because they don't appreciate what God has given them. Please, please, please don't blame women who suffer from postpartum depression. The reason women struggle with these issues in Western society is because they are LONELY in motherhood. I suffered terrible depression after the birth of our first child, a child I desperately wanted and absolutely cherished - and yet the aching loneliness and exhaustion of being by myself with my baby for hours on end every day left me shattered - not to mention the physical shock and pain of an unplanned c-section, a slow recovery and difficulty breastfeeding. It was the darkest time of my life, and I hated myself because I knew what a wonderful blessing God had given me and yet I felt so despondent. None of these challenges did I ever anticipate, being a fairly independent and self-sufficient woman with no health issues. I have said many times since our first child was born that we do motherhood all wrong in Western society. It was never meant to be a vocation of isolation - and yet, for many, many women in our country, that is exactly what it has become. We are not surrounded by our extended families and receiving lots of support and companionship. We can go to "Mommy and Me" classes and the like, but that is a poor substitute for the closeness of a loving, familiar community. My husband missed 5 days of work when each of our children was born - both by c-section, after laboring fully both times, the second baby in the NICU for a week. My parents and his parents (who live out of state) each visited for one week postpartum. And that was it. So please don't think that those of us who have struggled with depression after giving birth are ungrateful - typically, we feel an overwhelming sense of failure and unworthiness, not ingratitude or resentment. There is a part of my heart that will never fully heal from my experience with depression, and such remorse over the precious time I lost with our firstborn that I will never, ever get back. But I have always been grateful.

2. amehwilliams

Going through this massage by this African representative,I feel hopeful and encouraged.this message stand as "rapsody of reality"to all humanity,whether Black or white.charitable and humanitarian work or Mission is not conderned in any society but in this case'a decisive decision have to be taken by the recipient even in a point of hopelessness.Melinda Gate can use her wealths and influence to eradicate malnutrition which most African children suffered as a result of their inability to even a balance meal ones in day,we African have challenges of high level of corruption,diseases and other numerous problems which can use that $4.6billion to proffer panaceas to rather than focussing on contraception,what the world is hungry for now is total state of "pacifism"and that is why envoy and peace keepers are in every Part of troubled world and they are All aimed at saving life and providing security for humanity.

3. yasmin

What a beautiful heart you have! God Bless you and your family.
    I am a mother of 2, alittle boy and a liittle girl, here in the Philippines and I am daily confronted by the the battle we are having in our legislative house and senate where the Reproductive Health Bill which promotes contraception even to young people is being pushed. I pray your letter will touch those who need most to remember how truly miraculous a baby's life and birth is.

4. Gabriella

What a piece of heart! Obijanuju is a woman with a tender, beautiful heart, a heart most African mothers have.
    I live in North America, have 8 children and never suffered from post-partum depression. I looked at each of my children as a gift from the Almighty and rejoiced at His generosity. We need to speak the Truth, we need to be the witnesses to the Truth, we need to show the Lord's Love for every child, born or unborn. We are a culture of selfishness, egoism, greed.
    We need to hear people like Obijanju, a woman of a generous and self giving heart.
    Melinda spoke through her ignorance of the Truth, we need to pray that she see the Light.

5. shirley martinez

That letter really touched my heart. Yes a birth should be a celebration, it is a gift from
    God for us to care of. Children are loaned to us until He calls them home. That is not our dissicion. How many times are we going to kill Baby Jesus. My children are not teachers or doctors. They have given me many wrinkles and white hairs, many sleepless nights and I have shed so many tears over them, and I am not old enough to have while hair and wrinkles, but if I could go back and be given the choise to abort or pick different babies I would still pick the ones I was given the first time. My sons are my world and they know it. They know I thank God every day for them and thier families. Melinda lister to you heart and the cries of this victims.

6. Ruth

I was blown away when I read this letter. It is so beautiful. I hope Melinda Gates pays attention to it. I envy Obianuju Ekeocha's village with it's love of life. It sounds like a bit of heaven. Please, Melinda, do not destroy that goodness. What with all the modern technology we live with, we in the U.S. have lost touch with what is really good. Too many have bought the lie that there are too many people.

We have forgotten that it is ultimately God who creates children, and Jesus told us that God who cares for the sparrow will care for them. Part of the problem is calling people "consumers", which totally ignores the fact that people are also "producers". The proof is that as the population of the world has grown, the standard of living has increased.

I recently saw a quote from Theodore Roosevelt, of all people, that sent a chill up my spine: "Birth control is the one sin for which the penalty is national death. . . ."

7. Greg

Wow. What a matured letter! And to the point!
    Debbie - You are asking where is it written in the Bible. My answer is - ask Love, and Love will point it to you. And the Love says "lust kills charity." Why? Because a person becomes an object. A sophisticated hand that brings more stimuli. The person becomes simply a sex machine. Contraception is not bad when it is God's contraception - and God gave such - it is called infertile period. The problem with articifical contraception is that it requires self-control for the sake of the other. If we do not want the good of the other then we want to find a way to use the other without consequence. Christ is the way, not condom. Christ is love, not sex. Sex is not bad when used as created by Creator. The same as food. Look at us, overweight. We have amazing extreemly sophisticated diet plans, and at the same time the biggest overweight population in the world. It is not the problem with the diet. The problem is with our hearts. You know it very well. We know what we need to do. We fail in doing it and the we find excuses why it is okay to fail instead of admitting "yes, we are failures, we are sinners, we cannot find a way for our happiness, You are the Source of Happiness, let it be Your will, not mine."
    There is no trick for happiness. There is no magic contraceptive, no magic diet, no magic gadget, no magic husband, wife, friend. There is no magic method, no magic way to pray. There is only one way. It is The Way. It is Christ. Talk to Him. Not as one talks to a vending machine. Talk to Him as to someone that Loves you beyond His fear and beyond His Pain. To someone that died on the Cross asking you - have He suffered enough, so you could come to Him with your heart opened, and asked - "do you really love me, for if you do, I want to know You."
    May God Bless you, Debbie.

8. Mike

Hi Debbie, the quick answer to your question about where its condemned in the Bible: Gen 38:8-10. This was a form of contraception that was condemned by God, and as you can see in verse 10, God wasn't too happy with it! The link at the end of my reply gives a great answer to how contraceptives have always been condemned by all Christians, that is, until 1930 when many non-Catholic Christians started condoning them. Pope Paul VI predicted in the 1960's, with much opposition from the world, that the acceptance of birth control would lead to increased divorce and abortion....and he was right. That is exactly what we are dealing with. Heres a good link that also includes writings from some of the first Christians: http://www.catholic.com/tracts/contraception-and-sterilization

9. Abigail Benjamin

As an American Mother of five, I cried when I read parts of this letter. "Every baby's birth is greeted with real dancing?" "Post-partum depression is unknown?" We Americans suffer from a spiritual poverty in the face of new life that is not shared by most Africans.

10. Judy Claar

Beautiful letter! Full of factual information. I contemplated... Two words stood out before me like Lincoln's Monument: "...erode and poison". Funny how certain words do that. Those two little words spoke and speak volumes of what their nation is going through, as well as ours. And Melinda and the U.S. want to further WORLD erosion and poison? Shameful! Absolutely a Crime! Against God and Man. Anyone who adheres to Melinda's letter, has fallen head and foot into the loving arms of Secularism. The more you agree w/her and tote her rule (way of thinking), the deeper one becomes immersed...Until, before you know it, Relativism or some other such idea, is courting you. It is like the Trickster of Mythology. And some get lost for so long in this land, that one's life will have ended before one realizes it. And then sorrow befalls you and our nation. Think of all the "erosion and poison" In and On our planet. How did it get that way? God had nothing to do with it. When one can Not see the beauty of Life, one's soul is off balance. It needs realignment. It is time for soul searching. And if you find that which was lost, reconciliation or confession. Breathe Love ....