Nigerian Woman Writes to Melinda Gates: We Don't Need Your Contraception Comments

I see this $4.6 billion buying us misery. I see it buying us unfaithful husbands. I see it buying us streets devoid of the innocent chatter of children. I see it buying us disease and untimely death. I see it buying us a retirement without the tender loving care of our children.  Please Melinda, listen to the heart-felt cry of an African woman and mercifully channel your funds to pay for what we REALLY need. Continue Reading

1. Ken Nkwocha

Nice article.wisdom of an African woman. I wish other African mothers undrstand her point

2. Lorretta

Obianuju ekeocha did not tell us how many children, she herself has given birth to? I wonder why she is not in now Nigeria helping the poor children, that she is so glad, when they are born. They dance and eat. What happens later to the child? They are mostly abandoned and sent into the streets of Obianuju community, state and region, to sell all sorts of items. No school, no health care, no basic amenities for life. They turn them into street traders, send them through out the country to become houseboys and housegirls to earn money that is sent
    back to their parents to take care of another mouth, and care for their siblings. Is this the life, that is right for an innocent child, who did not ask to be born? I dont think so! Oh, I got you.
    You want and expect Melinda Gates to continue to build schools, provide healthcare, and all the programs, that you have indicated. I telling you now. It's a matter of choice. Look around your church in England now. Does your church in your village have anything to compare.?

3. concerned too

"A few of the comments on this article, though, seem to imply that the reason Western women sometimes suffer from postpartum depression is because they don't appreciate what God has given them. Please, please, please don't blame women who suffer from postpartum depression"

Beth, you made a very good observation. I felt this article implied that too. It seemed obvious to me that the statement about PPD was not correct. It greatly concerned me as well.

While some Western women suffer PPD because of lonliness I can't say I think that is the reason all women in America suffer PPD. I had a good support system and faith community and I still suffered from PPD.. Anyway, I'm sorry you had to suffer in this way and I understand that you felt your baby was a wonderful, welcome gift

4. Judy Claar

unclesmrgol: The quote shared, hit a home run! Peace...

5. unclesmrgol

Obianuju says "Funny how people with a much lower literacy level could clearly understand that which the average Vogue- and Cosmo-reading-high-class woman has refused to understand. I guess humility makes all the difference."

That's an interesting echo of James 2:5: "Listen, my dear brothers: it was those who were poor according to the world that God chose, to be rich in faith and to be the heirs to the kingdom which he promised to those who love him."

6. Obinna J

May our Mother Mary and Jesus Christ blesss you Obianuju.

7. LRD

I hope that the husbands of these African women do have sexual self-control. When a family is suffering and they have 3 children already, the husband must BE WISE and PRACTICE SELF CONTROL. In Africa, a woman cannot say "NO" to her husband.....this is a critical piece that the Bible instructs for procreation--but also a time for self control. It is an irreplaceable piece of natural family planning.

8. Catt

Excellent Letter. Now if Ms Gates will read it and learn something from it. This is a typical case of where when someone has lots of money they think they can change something to their liking. You can change the color of you house, but you can not change the color of the world, even if you are the 2nd richest in the world. This letter needs printed in every newspaper and magazine in world. It shows that the more money one has the dumber they think. I have worked with people/families in africa and they know how to make the most of so little and live their lives to the fullest. Just because America is screwing up how people live their lives here doesn't mean we have to screw up the rest of the world. Obianuju Ekeocha
    is an intelligent lady that has a perfect look at life. Now if we can just get the rest of world to do the same.

9. Judy Claar

George O.Y.A.: "Again I say Amen to you"! Cherish Today...

10. George OBENG-YEBOAH-ASUAMAH

Thanks for the courage displayed and for the truth told. Life is sacred and ought to be protected and destroyed for any reason. Africa is materially poor but rich in faith and values. God bless you.