Romney Goes Bold: Pro-Life Catholic Paul Ryan Chosen as Republican Vice Presidential Candidate Comments

I just returned from the Romney/Ryan campaign event in Norfolk, Virginia. The crowd was massive, enthusiastic and hopeful. I don't know what I expected - but what I experienced far exceeded those expectations. Mitt Romney's bold choice of Paul Ryan as his running mate ensures that an exchange of correspondence between the Cardinal of New York and the Republican Vice Presidential nominee will now become a part of framing the issues in ... Continue Reading

1. JoAnn

Juneau Alaska: Ayn Rand's book was a picture of what's to come if Obama is elected. If people would open their eyes, they would realize that those days are already here. God bless.

2. Juneau Alaska

One would think that I would support Paul Ryan. Afterall, his favorite novelist was Ayn Rand. Rand, of course, was pro-abortion, anti-Reagan, and an outspoken atheist! Apparently, Ryan is now distancing himself from his prior support for Rand. Yeah right. While this smacks of political expediency (after all, Paul Ryan used to make his interns read her novels!) I don't support Ryan because his fiscal policies are impossible. There is a good article in the New Statesman today that explains (with a budget breakdown) on how this is so. If elected (though remember he would have no legislative power except perhaps to break a tie) he will have to abandon his policies or pass unfunded tax cuts to push them. Of course, he won't be in power as a Veep so he'll just do what savy politicians do well: talk, talk, talk. Ironically, in this case, talk is better than implimentation. PS, I never liked Ayn Rand's book, Atlas Shrugged. I hear that even those in Purgatory refuse to stock it. -Cheers! Mike

3. buster

Please, if you plan to vote for Obama be honest and quit calling yourself a catholic. it's ok, we'll still pray for your soul

4. JoAnn

Rob: I think I owe you an apology, dear friend. In reading the comments again on this topic, I was totally disrespectful to you and I'm so sorry. I guess that was my mother or grandmother instinct coming out. (or whatever you want to call it.) I was upset with all the negative comments regarding Ryan's bill, I had had enough and I took it out on you. Not an excuse, just an explanation. We all agree that something has to be done about restructuring Medicare, etc. and all we can do is complain about a bill that was given to us by the only person in Washington that had any gumption to put a bill forward. Again. I apologize. God bless.

5. Confused

Isn't it a contradiction of faith even for a Catholic to be pro-life while campaigning as a pro-war candidate?

6. Rob

Vance, I'm sure folks would like to. But how do you get there? Another real estate fraud? More tax cuts that a decade has proven do not create jobs? More deregulation? Get rid of the EPA? Plants are gone where there is no EPA and slave wages....as Steve Jobs said, those jobs aren't coming back. We can even get our politicians to agree that maybe there shouldn't be tax breaks for overseas transfers? The only thing that will bring those jobs back is if we are willing to work for what the Chinese work for. But who knows, once they pull the plug on entitlements and the like, we probably will. We'll have no choice.

JoAnn, grow up? So I guess the 30 years I've paid into the system doesn't matter? I'm just supposed to sit back and say nothing? But I get it, I'm whining when I call the government out for failing to keep a promise, but in your case, nothing to whine about right? The government you seem to dislike so much is delivering. You get to stamp out the evils of socialism on our backs. I'm sorry if I don't sense a little hyprocrisy in that. I think the government should deliver on the promises made to us both, don't you?

Judy, you are right. It's difficult to see why people would vote for Obama. Since I don't tow the party line many assume on these boards that I support him. But I see no solution in the Ryan/Romney ticket. Romney will basically say and do anything to get elected. Poor guy has been trying for a decade and since he doesn't work he is in desperate need for something to do. And Ryan, for all his talk about fiscal issues, why is he not discussing his votes on stimulus, tarp, unfunded tax cuts and unpaid for prescrition drug benefits and wars. The strategy of "starve the beast" has worked. And it will be solved on the backs of working people. All paths lead to the same place, just a different route.

7. Judy Claar

Rob: Vance gave a really Good comparison. This country IS THAT DEPRESSED. On money matters, well, I guess that would follow, with any number of things or reasons. And, it is True, our friends analogy: I know personally, all different kinds of employments that have been affected: Leaving some without jobs, and some with cuts in pay. Starting with my one of my doctor's. Five different neighbors in different professions. It IS Tough. And others, who are stuck behind the Looking Glass, want and desire 4 more years? Hum. Their jobs must be really secure, or they like living off the government to support and vote for Obama. And that my friend, is a Catholic social justice issue, by which the only thing he has done, is added them to his list of people who are indebted to him for living off the government (Not his money, but tax payers), enabling people to stay in their lowly position, and not find work, Why? Because he did not create Any jobs. Just had his czars create more room for government jobs, so we have more money going to the government. Now, as I said before, I do not begrudge government employed persons their jobs, but do you see what I am saying? He's NOT created "shovel ready jobs" as promised. He has broken tooooooo many promises. I could go on and on, but why? He is NOT Worthy of my vote! Romney/Ryan! Blessings...

8. debbie

I agree Phil. The Democratic party represents the poor and less fortunate of this country not the Republicans. The Republicans, under the guise of protecting the "job creators" and "reform" they justify cutting more programs for the working poor. In essence they are cutting spending in those areas so the ultra rich do not have to pay their share. Ryan is not as innocent as he seems!

9. Judy Claar

Jo Ann: Thanks again. Blessings to you and yours...

10. JoAnn

Ed Nester: The rare show of Catholic unity are Catholics that have separated themselves from the Church. They are liberal/socialists who object to Ryan's plan because it will not fund any form of abortion nor go far enough to let them keep all their FREE stuff. These Catholics are Catholics in name only and are the very Catholics? that our Holy Father has reprimanded. O'Reilly was interviewing one of the the nuns from "Nuns on a Bus." She is a socialist and expects the government to give everyone a "paycheck" just for existing. Paul Ryan's plan isn't perfect, but at least the GOP has put forth a plan. As a matter of fact, they have put forth many plans that Harry Reid is fillibustering and won't bring to the floor of the Senate for a vote. Hmmmm, I wonder why. Is it because a lot of Dems will vote for it. If anyone is interested in actually learning what Ryan's plan is all about, I encourage you all to go to paulryan.com and then scroll to "A Roadmap for America's Future." Then make comments. At least then, we all will know what we are talking about. Where's Obama's plan? I'll tell you what Obama's plan is. He wants to incorporate Medicare and Medicaid into "Obamacare." That's why he doesn't want to address entitlements. He wants a single pay plan (Universal) and he will have the whole nation on Obamacare. That's when the "Death Panels" will kick in and eveyone's healthcare will be in the toilet and will cost out our "ying-yang." So do you want to save SS and Medicare with a plan from the GOP or do you want a healthcare plan that will put the elderly, the physically challenged, the mentally challenged, etc. in their graves. Then they will have their "superior race." Carl Sandburg, the poet, was a socialist/communist and he advocated that every citizen had to defend their life. "Tell me sir or madaam, would you be so kind as to give a reason why we should let you live." Carl Sandburg In other words, if you are not contributing anything to society, we cannot let you live and be a burden on society. God bless.