Romney Goes Bold: Pro-Life Catholic Paul Ryan Chosen as Republican Vice Presidential Candidate Comments

I just returned from the Romney/Ryan campaign event in Norfolk, Virginia. The crowd was massive, enthusiastic and hopeful. I don't know what I expected - but what I experienced far exceeded those expectations. Mitt Romney's bold choice of Paul Ryan as his running mate ensures that an exchange of correspondence between the Cardinal of New York and the Republican Vice Presidential nominee will now become a part of framing the issues in ... Continue Reading

1. buster

I am glad that we agree on somethings, lets try to meet on some more issues. first, Those Bailouts came with very thick socialist strings. It was not to save Jobs. As you may well know that bankruptcy would have allowed those companies to re-structure their debts and re-work the existing contracts they have. The bailouts prevented thoses companies from truly working themslves out of the mess they have made. This is called crony capitalism with a backdoor to socialism because the government now can dictate business policy. Like pushing the non popular chevy volt, or new loans to non credit worthy applicants. Which by the way was a Major contributor to the housing bubble which accelerated the fall of this material centered economy. When the government can dictate to business it's decisions for the "betterment of society" what you have is Socialism. True free enterprise would have let those companies Fail. But Nooooo, and it was the middleclass that paid. Not the "poor" they have no money. The only Jobs Obama is concerned with saving is the jobs of his billionaire friends and Union jobs which send the democates hundreded of millions a year. He has said " the private sector is doing fine..." What? fine? he must really believe in smoking Marijuana. The Republicans are not scared to defend us by the use of military force, that is true. Military weakness is more of a Democratic trait. You got me on that one. But McCain is a neo-con and let's be honest, He is a fine person but he is a Big Government guy and that is a big reason he lost in 2008. He is not known for his conservatism and further buttresses my point. Thanks for that one. Big companies that were tricked into believing that "Hope and change " line are now seeing that it was just that, a "Line" and they saw first hand the socialist strings that were attached. they now are scrambling to right their big wrong. Studies and polls reaffirm that conservatives consistantly donate more of their incomes to charity, PEW, Gallup, Rasmussen all can confirm that. Anyone who refuses to acknowledge that must really be filled with blind hate. There is no trickle down economics, that was a derogatory name given to the free enterprise system by political opponents. The Free Enterprise System does and has always worked. Government interference and socialist have turned America away from free enterprise. Today's economy is broken because we have tried to "control everything people do" in the economy. "Consumer protection" is being used to kill capitalism and the aethist socialist have been very sucessfull so far. Like the Vatican has stated "socialism is an intrinsic evil ". And truly helping the poor would be to teach them not to be poor. Feed a man a fish and you feed him for a day, Teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. What part of that do the Democrates not understand. The poor will always be among us, Jesus instructed us as individuals to help our family and nieghbors, he Did Not instruct us to enpower Ceasar and the government to do it for us. REALLY, look it up.

2. debbie

Buster, I agree with you on some things but not all. First off, you obviously don't know the meaning of the word Socialist. He only bailed out banks and auto industry to save jobs. And like I said I don't agree with all the things Obama has done. I am against the drones. And I agree with Ron Paul - there should be NO wars at all. But be honest, the Republicans are more pro-war than the Democrats! McCain was complaining that Obama didn't act fast enough when it came to Libya! And he's complained about lack of action in regards to Syria, too. As for Big Business they BOTH get money from them. In fact, Romney is now getting more money from Goldman Sachs than Obama (check opensecrets.org for all the details). As for the charity, yes Romney gave more (to his church). But I am sure not all Republicans are very generous either. As for abortions, I am against it as well but we can't control everything people do. With regards to the poor, helping them does NOT keep them dependent. You are implying that trickle down economics works - the past 30 years has proven it doesn't!! Especially now with globalization. As for me, I will do as Jesus wants us to do and that is vote for the party that stands up for them! " Because of the oppression of the weak and the groaning of the needy, I will now arise, says the LORD, I will protect them from those who malign them. " Psalm 12:5

3. JoAnn

Judy: I hope and pray with you. God bless.

4. Judy Claar

Rob my friend, I have also said this before in regard to your last comment, as well as others on this board. I will happily say it again: To vote a third party ticket...even though one is Pro-Life, is STILL, in all likely hood, another vote for Obama. I Hope and Pray, that more Catholics will see the reasoning behind a Romney/Ryan ticket. Blessings....

5. buster

Democrates are only giving lip service to Jesus's teachings. They are really pushing a socialist (anit-religion) agenda. Helping the poor? buy keeping them locked up in poverty. Buy inslaving them in a socialist welfare trap? and only when they reject the churches teaching will they be set free with a government education and govenment job? Loving all the people even enemies? Really? is not the present democratic administration guilty of bombing Lybia, supporting revolution in Eygpt? Prededor strikes in Afgahnistan, Pakistan, Iraq? supporting a civil war in syria? Forcing Catholic Church to pay for Abortions? Does that sound like "Loving all of the people"? Republicans only support big business? Really? Like Obamas Big donors at Bank American (bailout) Goldman Sacks (bailout) Solendra (stimulus funds) GM (bailout) Chrysler (bailout) Chase (bailout) Etc...Romney even spoke out agaisnt some of those "bailout"...and not caring about anyone else. First I can't read one's soul so I can only go by action, because actions speak louders than words, Romney gave more to charity than obama and biden COMBINED. not only in gross amount but also in percentages. When it comes to putting money where your mouth is the current Democratic Party does not do it. they only spend other peoples money. So the sterotypical nonsense that people read in the main stream media only works on the grossly illinformed, thank God my family and I left the Democratic Party in 1992. A wise Lady once said about the modern politicans "they are a lot of Bad republicans, But they are NO good Democrates" I think my Uncle was the last good one. May he rest in peace

6. Rob

Judy, to some degree I sadly agree with you. I'm hoping a third party candidate is on the ballot that is pro-life. If so, that's the way I'm going.

7. debbie

Buster, I think you are being very inconsiderate to claim that those who support Obama and the Democrats are not really Catholics. Democrats are not perfect by any means and I disagree with some stuff but overall they are doing what Jesus would want in helping the poor and loving all people even your enemies - as Jesus said to do! Romney and the Republicans are only supporting the wealthy and big business, they do not care about anyone else. They also promote war and intolerance, and pride themselves on supporting the spread of guns in this country and around the world. I doubt Jesus would approve!

8. Judy Claar

Rob, I have said it once. but I will happily say it again: There is No Choice but Romney/Ryan, and I have explained why. Sorry, I too, wish we had more of a choice, but we don't. It is that simple. Blessings....

9. Judy Claar

"French Taxes May Rise To 75%"...which might be true, but under the real pretense of cutting care for the every day people-that's where most of the money will come from! Please Read this article...IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT? Remember that we were free before France, and France became Socialist before US. Me thinks that they already knew what they wanted when they started chopping of heads. Socialism! Will some of you please WAKE UP and SMELL the COFFEE!
    Or, the men and women of WWII died for nothing. That is, all the lives that were lost and what they did in the name of Freedom was only put off. And may I add, Every War since then. Is France the inevitable for the US? Romney/Ryan! Blessings....

10. Michael

Timing of the announcement is a problem. Conventional wisdom is to wait for the convention for your vice presidential nominee. Reason it adds drama and is an incentive for people to watch. You get hours of speculation about who is going to be picked and tons of free publicity. I'm not sure why Romney picked his v.p. running mate before the convention. My guess would be he's trying to buttress his conservative credentials. General elections unlike primaries are about broadening your base of support not narrowing it. Romney needs the Hispanic vote to win, Romney needs Florida to win. I have been a republican all of my life and hope that I am wrong but if Romney doesn't do something meaningful to repair the harm done by the alienation of the Hispanic vote he can't win. He really needs to get some professionals in there to help his campaign. The European tour and the timing of his Vice Presidential nominee may be a prelude to disaster in November. I hope not.